Author Topic: Nationals vs Giants, Game 3  (Read 15538 times)

Offline colton

Re: Nationals vs. Giants, Game 3
« Reply #400: June 04, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »
Some people here have been cheering for us to lose almost all year if it'll make the Lerners look bad :?

Unfortunately this isn't a presidency (not a popularity/voting contest), so I can't imagine many people take any comfort in that.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #401: June 04, 2009, 11:32:01 PM »
11.2 IP 13 H 6 ER 1 BB 12 K for the rookie starters today.

Unlike most rookies, our young guys throw a ton of strikes. That is encouraging. They just need to keep working on location and situational pitching.

They are a hell of a lot better to watch than the likes of Crab and Olsen. I won't let the fact that our offense has given up sour on the pitchers. It is generally not their fault that we keep losing. Our offense isn't doing crap.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #402: June 04, 2009, 11:37:20 PM »
Did the Boswell article say we are on track to have the most losses in history?  At what point do we start cheering for our own little spot in history?

The 1962 New York Mets won 40 and lost 120, which caused them to finish 60.5 games out of first place.  But that was the first year of an expansion team (which could not draft players from other MLB teams.)   That team had legendary, laughable fielding errors.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #403: June 04, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »
Unfortunately this isn't a presidency (not a popularity/voting contest), so I can't imagine many people take any comfort in that.

Not me or many others, but some do :?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #404: June 04, 2009, 11:39:46 PM »
11.2 IP 13 H 6 ER 1 BB 12 K for the rookie starters today.

Unlike most rookies, our young guys throw a ton of strikes. That is encouraging. They just need to keep working on location and situational pitching.

They are a hell of a lot better to watch than the likes of Crab and Olsen. I won't let the fact that our offense has given up sour on the pitchers. It is generally not their fault that we keep losing. Our offense isn't doing crap.

zimmermann looked awesome and detwiler has continued to show flashes of being really, really good. did anyone honestly expect ross to be in the majors this year (maybe in 07, but not after last year!)? He has impressed me, considering he barely pitched in AA.

« Reply #405: June 04, 2009, 11:41:12 PM »
The 1962 New York Mets won 40 and lost 120, which caused them to finish 60.5 games out of first place.  But that was the first year of an expansion team (which could not draft players from other MLB teams.)   That team had legendary, laughable fielding errors.

(Image removed from quote.)

The Mets drafted 22 players from other MLB teams in the expansion draft.

Offline PC

« Reply #406: June 04, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »
Some people here have been cheering for us to lose almost all year if it'll make the Lerners look bad :?

Some things you don't have to root for.  They happen all on their own.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #407: June 04, 2009, 11:47:13 PM »
zimmermann looked awesome and detwiler has continued to show flashes of being really, really good. did anyone honestly expect ross to be in the majors this year (maybe in 07, but not after last year!)? He has impressed me, considering he barely pitched in AA.
yeah, no one thought Ross would be up here this soon. He still needs some work but the fact that he is not embarrassing himself up here is amazing considering where he was at this point last year.

I just hope they let the young guys to continue to pitch up here as long as they aren't walking guys or getting absolutely bombed consistently. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #408: June 04, 2009, 11:51:32 PM »
The Nationals have now scored two or fewer runs in six of their last 12 games, and that stretch has corresponded with a few notable cold spells. Adam Dunn today went a combined 0-for-6 with four strikeouts, dropping his average to .261. Washington had a combined nine hits, good for a .180 average on the day. The team's hitting decline -- at one point in May, the Nationals scored five or more 10 games in a row -- was especially troublesome because it corresponded with strong, or at least adequate, pitching.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #409: June 04, 2009, 11:52:44 PM »
The Mets drafted 22 players from other MLB teams in the expansion draft.

Were there limits on who they could draft?  The Washington Senators expansion team was created at the same time, as the original franchise moved to Minnesota.

My first WNFF avatar

Offline The Chief

« Reply #410: June 04, 2009, 11:54:27 PM »
Yeah I'm wondering which offense is our "real" offense.  Seems more likely that the truth is somewhere inbetween the hot start and the recent slump, but with the team doing so poorly overall you have to wonder if that will have an effect.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #411: June 05, 2009, 12:07:47 AM »
Yeah I'm wondering which offense is our "real" offense.  Seems more likely that the truth is somewhere inbetween the hot start and the recent slump, but with the team doing so poorly overall you have to wonder if that will have an effect.
A couple of guys are just cold (I think): Dunn, Guzman, Zimmerman.

Dukes just came back from injury and is rusty.

Kearns is worthless. Willingham hits solo homers and that's it.

Hernandez has been okay. The catchers have been average. Not having Flores hurts.

I believe or at least hope they are better than they are showing right now but I don't think they are nearly as good as they looked in the first month.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #412: June 05, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »
Guz and Dunn are definitely cold right now, and that's hurting a lot, but the 5-spot has been killing them too.  I'd be curious to know what the 6-7-8 guys have been doing during this slump as it seems like Hernandez is doing fine and Harris and Nieves really aren't that bad either.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #413: June 05, 2009, 12:15:48 AM »
Guz and Dunn are definitely cold right now, and that's hurting a lot, but the 5-spot has been killing them too.  I'd be curious to know what the 6-7-8 guys have been doing during this slump as it seems like Hernandez is doing fine and Harris and Nieves really aren't that bad either.
We miss having Guz getting on base. He goes through these really nasty, cold streaks at least once a year.

NJ seems to be the most solid and consistent hitter in our lineup. Doesn't hit for power but he draws walks and gets a lot of hits.

Just as Willingham started to heat up he came down with a bad stomach virus. Just our luck. :?

We just cannot afford to keep playing Kearns. He looks as terrible as he has ever looked in his time here. AK isn't going to get crap in free agency this off-season. 1 year cheap deal probably.

Dunn has fallen back down to normal levels and has a little ways to go to get to his usual average (.235-.240). It's a shame because I thought he was going to have a career year and actually hit .270-.280 but that is out the window. He still has the HR numbers so as of now it looks like he is going to give us pretty much what he has done every year in his career. Not bad not great.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #414: June 05, 2009, 12:19:07 AM »
I disagree with you about Dunn but there's no point in us discussing it again.

« Reply #415: June 05, 2009, 12:30:55 AM »
Were there limits on who they could draft?  The Washington Senators expansion team was created at the same time, as the original franchise moved to Minnesota.

(Image removed from quote.)
My first WNFF avatar

The National League used the same expansion draft rules as the American League. Fifteen players were made available from each existing club, including seven from the 25-man roster as of August 31st, 1961. Both teams were required to pick two players from each roster for $75,000 each, and allowed to pick a third player for $50,000. After these three "rounds", each existing club posted two more players from its 25-man roster for a "premium draft", with Houston and New York each picking four players, at a cost of $125,000 each. The Mets spent $1.8 million for 22 players. The Colt 45's spent $1,850,000 for 23 players.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #416: June 05, 2009, 02:22:07 AM »
colt 45 as in afroman? :D

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #417: June 05, 2009, 06:31:56 AM »
But you have to subscribe to that, right?

$15 for the year and you get to choose from every home and away broadcast.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #418: June 05, 2009, 07:57:42 AM »
Really?  I'm pretty much due north of Frederick, but there are the mountains to the west.

1500AM is not the Frederick repeater - it's the main broadcast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFED

Apparently it can be heard in Europe, so that's good news for EmpireNat and our Swedish member.

Central PA and Frederick are right out :roll:

The N-S beam is so tight that they have a repeater in Frederick for a station located in Wheaton that can be heard in Maine. Damn.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #419: June 05, 2009, 07:59:22 AM »
But you have to subscribe to that, right?  MLB does not allow game broadcasts on the radio.
Otherwise, post a link to where anyone can get a free broadcast.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

GAME OVER.  WE LOSE.

At 14-38 (.269, a national disgrace)
the Natinals are on a pace to
Win 44 and Lose 118, PhilWood.

You have to pay if you don't receive 1500AM on air. I have a "long distance" AM radio, and can only get 1500 by wandering around the house with the radio till I find a sweet spot, then turning of the treble to block out the interference. Sucks so bad that I broke down and got Gameday Audio.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #420: June 05, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »
We may be in for another wet game tonight.  :?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #421: June 05, 2009, 12:02:43 PM »
We may be in for another wet game tonight.  :?

I know someone who likes wet games :az:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Nationals vs Giants, Game 3
« Reply #422: June 05, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »

Apparently it can be heard in Europe, so that's good news for EmpireNat and our Swedish member.

The N-S beam is so tight that they have a repeater in Frederick for a station located in Wheaton that can be heard in Maine. Damn.

I can get 1500 AM just fine up here most nights (Albany, NY).  I'm reasonably certain my brother used to listen to O's games on 1500AM about 15-20 years ago when we lived on Cape Cod.  I know he heard the Orioles and I thought it was 1500AM; though I could be wrong.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #423: June 05, 2009, 01:19:11 PM »
Nobody wants to step up and claim tonight's game thread?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #424: June 05, 2009, 01:20:26 PM »
I'll do it, but I thought since I lost last night I wasn't eligable for todays game.