Author Topic: Nationals vs Angels, Game 1  (Read 20832 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Nationals vs Angels, Game 1
« Reply #425: June 23, 2008, 10:44:41 PM »
If he can do this 3 out of every 4 starts, he deserves to stay. I just don't see it happening. I hope it does, though. He definitely has the stuff, but I think his head just gets in the way most of the time.

Agreed, I guess what I was trying to say was that he deserves more time than I was willing to give him.  He has had mostly bad starts this season, maybe he is starting to turn around, I hope so as well...

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #426: June 23, 2008, 10:44:42 PM »
In other news, I'm leading sportsfan882 in the WNFF Fantasy Baseball league in this week's match 2-1-7 to 1-2-7.  But sportsfan has 2 starters on the DL and a healthy player sitting on his bench.  So if he Manny-gizzes it, he can win.

We LOST because Tomterp was TROLLING!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #427: June 23, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »
Thank you, Ray Knight. Fighting hard doesn't mean crap if you are laying on the ground dead and bloodied at the end of the night. :worship:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #428: June 23, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »
to be fair, Harris is no longer on the Reds.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #429: June 23, 2008, 10:49:29 PM »
Thank you, Ray Knight. Fighting hard doesn't mean s*** if you are laying on the ground dead and bloodied at the end of the night. :worship:

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #430: June 23, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »
We need to start a thread and have everyone guess how many losses we are going to finish with for the year. The winner should get some sort of prize like a Pete Orr game worn jersey, now that would be a something worth playing for  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #431: June 23, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
K-rod has more saves (31) than we do wins (30).

The Angels are 17.5 games ahead of us in the standings and it's only June 23rd.

The Nationals are 2-10 over their last 12 home games.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #432: June 23, 2008, 11:11:57 PM »
this'll cheer us up:

DOUBLE RAINBOW!  :lol:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #433: June 23, 2008, 11:28:52 PM »
^ Very cool picture.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #434: June 23, 2008, 11:30:23 PM »
I think Harris is starting in Tampa Bay now, at SS. i could be mistaken though.

Minnesota.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #435: June 23, 2008, 11:30:46 PM »
AZ, is that picture real or photoshopped?  If it is real, that is an amazing shot.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #437: June 23, 2008, 11:36:42 PM »
incredible, that actually does cheer me up

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #438: June 23, 2008, 11:42:56 PM »
Just got back from the game. Another game managed away by Manny. We can't afford to be bad and have a manager make so many mistakes. Early on, Manny failed twice to have 1st and 2nd with no outs followed with a bunt to allow an actual major league hitter, Young, get a chance at either getting an RBI or taking a walk so that Flo could get a chance. Then late in a close game, he pulls an actual major league hitter out of the game, so that a 5'8 munchkin could replace him at 1B and a AAAA player who is a defensive liability and not much of a hitter can play 3rd. I saw enough of Orr at ST and have seen enough of him at the major league level to know that he is an ok utility guy, but does not deserve to start in the big leagues. He showed in ST that he could rack up stats against bad late inning pitching while he showed limited range at 2B. There are too many people who got impressed with his ST stats which mean nothing and his AAA stats that were weak by comparison to most especially those that have actually faced big league pitching before. Pete Orr deserved a shot as a bench guy, but should not be trusted to replace actual proven big league talent. I didn't respond to people who were impressed with Orr's play over the weekend, since I had no reason to burst their bubble. But Orr did not make plays that others would not have made. He made good plays on plays that he made look more difficult than more talented and rangey players would have. But I don't blame Orr, since he is doing his best. But I am disgusted that Manny would pull Young (assuming he wasn't injured) so that Belliard could play 1B and Orr could play 3B. What the hell is he thinking? This is four games in row that Manny has just spaced out on managerial decisions that make no sense whatsoever. He fails to pinch run for Young in the bottom of the 9th last night, but then pulls him early when he is due up tonight?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #439: June 23, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »
Thanks for the errors Lopez and Flores. You earned it tonight. That said, I believe Flores actually cares and Lopez is up to #9.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #440: June 23, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »
Thanks for the errors Lopez and Flores. You earned it tonight. That said, I believe Flores actually cares and Lopez is up to #9.

(Image removed from quote.)

Lopez does look like he is back on the sauce. I just don't get where his head is at. We know that WMP is his best friend in baseball, but are they so simbiotic that Lopez suffers when WMP does? WTF is up with him?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #441: June 23, 2008, 11:48:17 PM »
Just got back from the game. Another game managed away by Manny. We can't afford to be bad and have a manager make so many mistakes. Early on, Manny failed twice to have 1st and 2nd with no outs followed with a bunt

Shoeshine I was saying the exact same thing to my brother cmdterps44.  Coming from Milledge's biggest fan ... there is no reason in the first inning and later in the game Manny shouldn't have him bunting in those situations.  Two on, no outs, bunt them over.  I know you're showing faith in the kid and I like that, but in this situation Milledge is one of the best bunters in the league (look @ his stats) and all you got to do is give the kid the signal and the job is done.  It's not like you're out there asking Felipe Lopez to bunt (we all know he can't do anything right).

That was a poor decision on Manny's part not having #44 bunting.  Awful job.  This is the National League, Manny.  Bunting is part of NL baseball.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #442: June 23, 2008, 11:49:27 PM »
Just got back from the game. Another game managed away by Manny. We can't afford to be bad and have a manager make so many mistakes. Early on, Manny failed twice to have 1st and 2nd with no outs followed with a bunt to allow an actual major league hitter, Young, get a chance at either getting an RBI or taking a walk so that Flo could get a chance. Then late in a close game, he pulls an actual major league hitter out of the game, so that a 5'8 munchkin could replace him at 1B and a AAAA player who is a defensive liability and not much of a hitter can play 3rd. I saw enough of Orr at ST and have seen enough of him at the major league level to know that he is an ok utility guy, but does not deserve to start in the big leagues. He showed in ST that he could rack up stats against bad late inning pitching while he showed limited range at 2B. There are too many people who got impressed with his ST stats which mean nothing and his AAA stats that were weak by comparison to most especially those that have actually faced big league pitching before. Pete Orr deserved a shot as a bench guy, but should not be trusted to replace actual proven big league talent. I didn't respond to people who were impressed with Orr's play over the weekend, since I had no reason to burst their bubble. But Orr did not make plays that others would not have made. He made good plays on plays that he made look more difficult than more talented and rangey players would have. But I don't blame Orr, since he is doing his best. But I am disgusted that Manny would pull Young (assuming he wasn't injured) so that Belliard could play 1B and Orr could play 3B. What the hell is he thinking? This is four games in row that Manny has just spaced out on managerial decisions that make no sense whatsoever. He fails to pinch run for Young in the bottom of the 9th last night, but then pulls him early when he is due up tonight?
I knew I wasn't the only one who has been disgusted by Manny's managing lately. Good post.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #443: June 23, 2008, 11:52:42 PM »
Shoeshine I was saying the exact same thing to my brother cmdterps44.  Coming from Milledge's biggest fan ... there is no reason in the first inning and later in the game Manny shouldn't have him bunting in those situations.  Two on, no outs, bunt them over.  I know you're showing faith in the kid and I like that, but in this situation Milledge is one of the best bunters in the league (look @ his stats) and all you got to do is give the kid the signal and the job is done.  It's not like you're out there asking Felipe Lopez to bunt (we all know he can't do anything right).

That was a poor decision on Manny's part not having #44 bunting.  Awful job.  This is the National League, Manny.  Bunting is part of NL baseball.

I agree with Manny not bunting with one on and no outs, but 1st and 2nd and no outs calls for a bunt with the sabermatricians not just the small-ballers. Given that Milledge is actually a good bunter and struggling in a slump, this seemed like a no brainer.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #444: June 23, 2008, 11:56:55 PM »
I agree with Manny not bunting with one on and no outs, but 1st and 2nd and no outs calls for a bunt with the sabermatricians not just the small-ballers. Given that Milledge is actually a good bunter and struggling in a slump, this seemed like a no brainer.

I really, really, really want Chico (Harlan) or Zuckerman to ask Manny why he didn't bunt there. I had this same logic and my dad agreed. I'm a big Moneyball guy but a bunt there is the right play for a lot of reasons.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #445: June 24, 2008, 12:02:37 AM »

Exactly, sabermetrics does not exclude the option of bunting, especially when you have a guy that can bunt up with guys TWO guys that can be put into scoring position.  Getting guys into scoring position plays into the whole philosophy.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #446: June 24, 2008, 08:18:09 AM »
Then late in a close game, he pulls an actual major league hitter out of the game, so that a 5'8 munchkin could replace him at 1B and a AAAA player who is a defensive liability and not much of a hitter can play 3rd. I saw enough of Orr at ST and have seen enough of him at the major league level to know that he is an ok utility guy, but does not deserve to start in the big leagues. He showed in ST that he could rack up stats against bad late inning pitching while he showed limited range at 2B. There are too many people who got impressed with his ST stats which mean nothing and his AAA stats that were weak by comparison to most especially those that have actually faced big league pitching before. Pete Orr deserved a shot as a bench guy, but should not be trusted to replace actual proven big league talent. I didn't respond to people who were impressed with Orr's play over the weekend, since I had no reason to burst their bubble. But Orr did not make plays that others would not have made. He made good plays on plays that he made look more difficult than more talented and rangey players would have.

:clap:

Online blue911

« Reply #447: June 24, 2008, 08:53:33 AM »
Just got back from the game. Another game managed away by Manny. We can't afford to be bad and have a manager make so many mistakes. Early on, Manny failed twice to have 1st and 2nd with no outs followed with a bunt to allow an actual major league hitter, Young, get a chance at either getting an RBI or taking a walk so that Flo could get a chance.

With John Lackey on the mound, you would think he would try to get every run possible out our anemic offense.