Author Topic: Washington Commanders - get used to it (2023)  (Read 9997 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Washington Commanders - get used to it (2023)
« Reply #400: February 01, 2024, 02:18:41 PM »
I'm guessing a reunion with his OC in Atlanta in 2015 & 16 is out of the question? :)

It's cool that we're taking the defense minded coach of a team with a mediocre defense whose offense dragged them to a Super Bowl. It's also cool that we had the architect of that offense (and another offense currently in the Super Bowl lead by a 7th round pick with questionable talent) in the building.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #401: February 01, 2024, 04:30:42 PM »
I'm guessing a reunion with his OC in Atlanta in 2015 & 16 is out of the question? :)
You mean the guy who blew Super Bowl leads as an OC and HC? Maybe he can get the Trifecta this year!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #402: February 01, 2024, 07:57:54 PM »
You mean the guy who blew Super Bowl leads as an OC and HC? Maybe he can get the Trifecta this year!

I didn’t see Quinn’s awesome defense doing anything. That OC seems to be having a pretty good run as an HC now. How has Quinn been doing as an hc since then?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #403: February 01, 2024, 08:22:02 PM »
I didn’t see Quinn’s awesome defense doing anything. That OC seems to be having a pretty good run as an HC now. How has Quinn been doing as an hc since then?
I’m just taking jabs at Shanny.  He has a fabulous roster provided for him in SF and came close to losing the last two games. In Philly last year he left Reddick being blocked by a back up TE and got Purdy injured on that play. Think he is overrated as a coach.  He’s obviously not terrible but almost everyone thinks they have the best roster in football.

In that Super Bowl Brady got on a roll. They needed to score more points or at least keep the ball for a bit. Quinn, Shanahan and Matt Ryan all share in that debacle.  The Eagles beat the Pats the following year by keeping the foot on the gas. 

We will see how Shanahan coaches next week. Spagnuolo is a good defensive coach. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #404: February 01, 2024, 08:25:07 PM »
I’m just taking jabs at Shanny.  He has a fabulous roster provided for him in SF and came close to losing the last two games. In Philly last year he left Reddick being blocked by a back up TE and got Purdy injured on that play. Think he is overrated as a coach.  He’s obviously not terrible but almost everyone thinks they have the best roster in football.

In that Super Bowl Brady got on a roll. They needed to score more points or at least keep the ball for a bit. Quinn, Shanahan and Matt Ryan all share in that debacle.  The Eagles beat the Pats the following year by keeping the foot on the gas. 

We will see how Shanahan coaches next week. Spagnuolo is a good defensive coach. 

He went to two nfc conference championships in a row. His qb went down in the last one. This year he’s in the Super Bowl. Quinn is a jag hire to me

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #405: February 01, 2024, 11:00:45 PM »
HalfSmokes is on the money here.  There's plenty of blame to go around for that Super Bowl loss, but what did Quinn and Shanahan do after that?  Shanahan went on to resurrect the Niners from bums of the NFC West to perennial playoff team with multiple Super Bowl appearances.

Quinn?  Well, he treads water for a couple years and then gets fired in Atlanta after an 0-5 start.  Then he goes to Dallas and his defensive unit beats up on a bunch of bad teams in the regular season, leading to a wild card loss wherein they give up 40 to an unproven quarterback.  Last year's showing was a little more respectable, but there was a familiar story in the divisional round: Quinn's defense finally snaps in the last 20 minutes of the game and they lose in the 4th quarter.

That 2016 Atlanta team made it as far as they did on the weight of their offense, too.  They were a high-scoring team with a defense that was just along for the ride.

Quinn was fortunate in that he coached the Legion of Boom in the early 2010s, and he's been living off of that ever since.  Nothing about the performance of his defenses in Dallas or Atlanta says, "this guy ought to be a head coach again in the NFL."

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #407: February 02, 2024, 01:36:36 AM »
Chip Kelly as OC? 

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1753219403884220852

If they do this, they might as well resurrect Jeffrey Dahmer and make him the team chef.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #408: February 02, 2024, 10:05:46 AM »
Interesting that in 2024 the Skins hire a Dallas assistant as head coach shortly after firing their own. Thirty years ago, they did the same, replacing Richie Petitbon with Norv Turner.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #409: February 03, 2024, 09:07:53 PM »
Kliff kingsbury chatter for OC 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #410: February 04, 2024, 07:49:54 AM »
Kliff kingsbury chatter for OC
Kliff or Chip?  Quite the choice. Good thing they didn’t get Ben Johnson to stand in the way of these offensive geniuses. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline imref

« Reply #413: February 05, 2024, 11:27:05 AM »
Seems likely the Bears pick Williams #1 overall. Maybe the Commanders make a deal to get Fields?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #414: February 05, 2024, 12:00:46 PM »
Mahomes, Murray, and Williams. Kind of impressive.

Love to see Williams fall to #2 now.
He did such a good job with Mahomes in college that most teams passed on him in the first round.  Luckily for Andy he saw the talent. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #415: February 05, 2024, 12:01:16 PM »
Seems likely the Bears pick Williams #1 overall. Maybe the Commanders make a deal to get Fields?
depends if Kingsbury wants to work with him. I guess he's closer to the end of his rookie contract so not as attractive as either of the top 2 QBs.

What do NFL guys say is the likelihood of Chicago sticking with Fields and dealing the #1? They could probably work a deal with either the Pats or the Commies to get Harrison and some draft capital were they to deal down to #2 or #3. Or, I suppose, deal Fields somewhere, swap picks with the Commies, and take Drake Maye.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #416: February 05, 2024, 12:01:48 PM »
Do you think Fields is better than the other QBs available?  Might be better to just trade down and acquire more assets.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #417: February 05, 2024, 12:06:11 PM »
Fine with the Quinn hire. Safe.

Like the Kingsbury hire. It can't be worse than Bieniemy going with a historically pass heavy offense and destroying Sam Howell.

Offline imref

« Reply #418: February 05, 2024, 12:12:01 PM »
Do you think Fields is better than the other QBs available?  Might be better to just trade down and acquire more assets.
if you can get fields for a 3rd round pick and use the rest of the picks to fill other holes I don't think that's a bad strategy. I don't think Fields is any worse than the #2/3 QBs in the draft. He can run, and on some days, he can throw as well. He might benefit a lot from working with Kliff.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #419: February 05, 2024, 07:48:10 PM »

Fields blows...he's nothing more than another Mitch Trubisky...but GM Poles doesn't have the balls to stick his neck out to pick a QB at 1/1 and have him be a bust. 

Being a bust is a Bears QB tradition.  Jim McMahon just happened to have an all world team around him in '85.

They are flush with salary cap space, so he doesn't have to worry about paying Fields going forward, even if they elect to decline his fifth year option and franchise tag him if they decide to keep him longer.

Poles is a flat out coward...he even felt he had to do a mea culpa to the President and Chairman for the Claypool deal with the Steelers where he basically threw away a top second round pick for that bum.

Check back on April 25th and we'll see if I got this right.  Frankly...if they can get a couple of second round picks for Fields and pick Williams, they should do it.  Then watch him turn into Demarcus Russell.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #420: February 05, 2024, 08:07:39 PM »
Fields blows...he's nothing more than another Mitch Trubisky...but GM Poles doesn't have the balls to stick his neck out to pick a QB at 1/1 and have him be a bust. 

Being a bust is a Bears QB tradition.  Jim McMahon just happened to have an all world team around him in '85.

They are flush with salary cap space, so he doesn't have to worry about paying Fields going forward, even if they elect to decline his fifth year option and franchise tag him if they decide to keep him longer.

Poles is a flat out coward...he even felt he had to do a mea culpa to the President and Chairman for the Claypool deal with the Steelers where he basically threw away a top second round pick for that bum.

Check back on April 25th and we'll see if I got this right.  Frankly...if they can get a couple of second round picks for Fields and pick Williams, they should do it.  Then watch him turn into Demarcus Russell.

I’m betting on one and two being busts just because two of the three or for worst run and most snake bitten teams are picking 1 and 2. I work with a bears fan and we have arguments about which organization is more likely to blow this pick, but the answer is both

Offline imref

« Reply #421: February 05, 2024, 09:57:16 PM »
Bieniemy officially out. Rough year for him.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #422: February 06, 2024, 06:31:18 AM »
Somehow, I think we make have downgraded at OC.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #423: February 06, 2024, 08:23:57 AM »
Klingbury has had some hot model girlfriends so there is that. 

Offline imref

« Reply #424: February 29, 2024, 04:08:39 PM »