Author Topic: Trey Lipscomb RotY … Or Disappointment? Watch  (Read 998 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
A wise, inciteful comment from someone who i am sure is handsome in real life and not too into poop jokes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/05/07/trey-lipscomb-nationals-tennessee/
he looks like he's at least a backup utility, maybe most likely that level, with an upside of a Zobrist / Tony Phillips-like super-utility player on a decent team. The later outcome looks like a stretch, but to reach it, he will need to play every day either in MLB or AAA. I could see him getting squeezed out of a starting gig on the Nats sometime this year. Senzel will eventually play at 3rd, Winker may eventually DH, Winker could stick and another guy take over at DH, and a new piece could emerge in the OF like Gallo or Wood. At that time, Lipscomb should go to Rochester, but for now, I'm ok with him not being overwhelmed in his time up.

Offline rileyn

I thought his reputation was as a solid defender.  I'm no scout, but I'm not seeing that with my eyes.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I thought his reputation was as a solid defender.  I'm no scout, but I'm not seeing that with my eyes.
The defense doesn't look great!

The analytics don't hate his defense but the eye test is concerning.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
The defense doesn't look great!

The analytics don't hate his defense but the eye test is concerning.
range is great, but there's a bit of sloppiness once he gets to a ball.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
range is great, but there's a bit of sloppiness once he gets to a ball.
I'm hoping and expect it is just rookie jitters.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Trey is better than Senzel. Trey owns 3B

Offline OfftheBat

He has potential, I think... Just needs to bring up his OBP (currently sitting at 0.331) a little and the rest will follow IMO...

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Call me a hater, but I dont see why he is at the MLB level. His at bats are uncompetitive and he is not good defensively. Muxh rather see him in Triple A, rotating through the infield to gain defensive experience.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Trey is actually hitting RHP pretty well. .292 / .381 / .333 over 85 PA. A bit BABIP driven (.345) but a respectable walk rate (11.8%) and a low K rate (16.5%). Oddly, he's been beat up so far by lefties (.171 / .216 /.200) over 37 PAs, also BABIP driven (.207). Can't draw a walk vs a lefty, but K% shows no split, which is nice.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/lavictor-lipscomb/31567/splits?position=3B&season=2024

I can't find a handy source for his minor league splits to see if this pattern showed up the past couple of years.

Most likely, the average against RHP will come down a bit, but the average against lefties will bounce up big time. He's fine holding the spot until House or Morales is ready, but what will likely happen is he will be gone when Gallo shows up.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Call me a hater, but I dont see why he is at the MLB level. His at bats are uncompetitive and he is not good defensively. Muxh rather see him in Triple A, rotating through the infield to gain defensive experience.
Hater!

I think what you are saying would be best for his development. Unfortunately, Senzel has not taken over 3rd. Maybe the right move now is to play Vargas Every Day Every Play at 3rd?

Online Slateman

Hater!

I think what you are saying would be best for his development. Unfortunately, Senzel has not taken over 3rd. Maybe the right move now is to play Vargas Every Day Every Play at 3rd?

Is Senzel physically capable of playing third?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Is Senzel physically capable of playing third?
if he isn't, and you want Trey in the minors, then who do you suggest play 3rd other than your sole utility infielder?

Online Slateman

if he isn't, and you want Trey in the minors, then who do you suggest play 3rd other than your sole utility infielder?
If Senzel isnt physically capable, then cut him.

If Lipscomb's future is a utility infielder, then put him where he can play multiple positions. I think that means Triple A. As for Senzel's replacement, Alu and Kieboom can hold it down for this season. 

I would like to see if Lipscomb could play decent defense at short. I feel like that gives you an option to move Abrams to 2B, if his defense doesnt improve.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Lipscomb has been sent down to clear a spot for Gallo

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Lipscomb has been sent down to clear a spot for Gallo
kind of always figured that would be the move. Senzel to 3rd, Meneses to DH, Gallo to 1st, Winker to left. Only issue is whether it's Gallo in left and Winker at DH, but because Gallo played 1st, not OF when he went to Rochester, it'll be Meneses to DH and Winker in left.

Offline rileyn

kind of always figured that would be the move. Senzel to 3rd, Meneses to DH, Gallo to 1st, Winker to left. Only issue is whether it's Gallo in left and Winker at DH, but because Gallo played 1st, not OF when he went to Rochester, it'll be Meneses to DH and Winker in left.
Meneses as a DH?  Really? .220/.290/.267 1 HR.  He has hit one hard ball all year that I can remember. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Meneses as a DH?  Really? .220/.290/.267 1 HR.  He has hit one hard ball all year that I can remember. 
I'm not going to spend time defending Meneses or even Senzel. I just said I expected this, and it's probably OK for Lipscomb's development.

With a lefty 1B activated, I wasn't going to expect Meneses to be sent down or Senzel released. one thing I won't say is this team is stronger today than it was in Chicago (and that was not a blazing success, either).