Author Topic: NCAA Basketball 2020-21  (Read 6719 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: NCAA Basketball 2020-21
« Reply #375: June 04, 2021, 03:24:57 PM »
Yes. UNC survived Matt Doherty. Kentucky survived Billy Gillespie (who is now coaching at Tarleton State).

Kansas went from Larry Brown to Roy Williams to Bill Self. Not bad.

Duke will be fine in the long run, but I'd expect them to have a little time in the wilderness

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #376: June 04, 2021, 03:25:00 PM »
They did the same thing with the football team.  The Fridge was a Maryland legend...and they flushed the program down the drain when the gave him the ax...and they just keep digging a deeper hole...

If they had approved Mike Leach as HC to follow Fridge, the program would be very different today. But, instead, Anderson hired his friend Edsall, who is one of the worst coaches in the country, a grifter, a mean-spirited man and a selfish pompous jerk who doesn't deserve a single dollar of his contract. The damage Edsall did to the program, and school, is enormous. freak that guy.

Turgeon is only slightly better.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #377: June 04, 2021, 03:47:54 PM »
If they had approved Mike Leach as HC to follow Fridge, the program would be very different today. But, instead, Anderson hired his friend Edsall, who is one of the worst coaches in the country, a grifter, a mean-spirited man and a selfish pompous jerk who doesn't deserve a single dollar of his contract. The damage Edsall did to the program, and school, is enormous. freak that guy.

Turgeon is only slightly better.
I don’t know how you can say Edsall isn’t a good coach. He has a 6-30 record since being back at Connecticut.  :hysterical:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #378: June 04, 2021, 03:51:38 PM »
Speaking of terrible people, I'm sure that Scheyer has his "We do things the RIGHT way here at Duke" bullcrap ready to go when he struggles. Coach K is already out here with the "college basketball is a lawless wasteland" because coaches now only hold 90% of the power instead of 100% so I'm sure his dickhead protégé will be first in line to complain to the NCAA the same way he and K cried to the refs & the ACC whenever things didn't go their way.

Hopefully Scheyer gets the band back together and hires Greg Paulus and Greyson Allen to re-create the Holy Trinity of guys no one ever wants to be around.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #379: June 04, 2021, 04:43:26 PM »
Speaking of terrible people, I'm sure that Scheyer has his "We do things the RIGHT way here at Duke" bullcrap ready to go when he struggles. Coach K is already out here with the "college basketball is a lawless wasteland" because coaches now only hold 90% of the power instead of 100% so I'm sure his dickhead protégé will be first in line to complain to the NCAA the same way he and K cried to the refs & the ACC whenever things didn't go their way.

Hopefully Scheyer gets the band back together and hires Greg Paulus and Greyson Allen to re-create the Holy Trinity of guys no one ever wants to be around.
By a Coach K picking Scheyer he probably thinks he has a guy who will continue to do things his way. Slap in the face to the several other college coaches who have played for him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #380: June 04, 2021, 05:39:59 PM »
I'll be curious how 2 years of not playing in the Tournament and one season of not playing affects Amaker, Jones, and the other Ivies in recruiting.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #381: June 04, 2021, 08:16:01 PM »
I'll be curious how 2 years of not playing in the Tournament and one season of not playing affects Amaker, Jones, and the other Ivies in recruiting.
It's hard to keep track of anything nowadays with all the transfers.  If the Ivy League only allows transfers out and none in that will hurt them in the long run. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #382: June 04, 2021, 08:35:53 PM »

I think the kind of kid who goes to Yale to play isn’t cross shopping Pitt

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #383: June 04, 2021, 09:29:23 PM »

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Ivy-League/14/transfers/2021

Plenty do including Mike Smith who was PG on Michigan's final four team.  More to come this year. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #384: June 05, 2021, 09:15:35 AM »
actually, their 4 years no medical red shirt eligibility rule made Ivy seniors recruiting bait for big programs. Baylor, Alabama had kids from Yale  play tegularly in the past few years, and I think Paul Atkinson is transferring to Notre Dame next year.  Harvard pretty consistently gets multiple top100 recruits.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #385: June 05, 2021, 09:49:26 AM »
actually, their 4 years no medical red shirt eligibility rule made Ivy seniors recruiting bait for big programs. Baylor, Alabama had kids from Yale  play tegularly in the past few years, and I think Paul Atkinson is transferring to Notre Dame next year.  Harvard pretty consistently gets multiple top100 recruits.

In a sport where the pro draft that goes 2 rounds, and a good number of second rounders don’t get signed, I’d expect a lot of kids to opt for education

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #386: June 05, 2021, 01:54:43 PM »
In a sport where the pro draft that goes 2 rounds, and a good number of second rounders don’t get signed, I’d expect a lot of kids to opt for education
Ivies have a niche in recruiting.  If you are not going to play a lot at Duke or Stanford, the Ivies can pitch a reasonably smart kid  with, "you get to play, we play a respectable mid-major schedule outside of league play, with about 5 power conference games a year and a lot of good mid-majors, and we give you a heck of a back up plan if you finish the degree.  They don't want recruits to fail, and if you don't profile to play a lot they want smart kids to pull the team GPA up, but the ones who will play a lot don't have to be Rhodes scholar types.