Author Topic: Postseason Starting Rotation  (Read 13337 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Postseason Starting Rotation
« Reply #125: October 05, 2017, 11:17:51 AM »
Let's win games 1 & 2 and go with Roark in game 3 :)

As for the bullpen, I'm still OK with Cole over Blanton and Romero for the 7th spot, and would go with Cole and Romero if they go with an 8 man bullpen.  Big 3 plus Solis, Perez, and Albers are the locks.

I do wonder if performance in Games 1 and 2 will dictate whether or not Scherzer pitches. If we go up 2-0, do we go with Roark for Game 3, and, Stras Game 4, and hope Max is ready for Game 5?

If they split, go with Roark in Game 3, Stras in Game 4 and see how Scherzer is in Game 5.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #126: October 05, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »
Strasburg is the starter for game 1.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #127: October 05, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
Strasburg is the starter for game 1.

crap...I'm going to game 2...  :hang:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #128: October 05, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
Gio gonna rock you like a hurricane

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129: October 05, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
Dusty just said the he was still deciding between Gio and Max for game 2 and that if Max didn't pitch game 2 he would pitch game 3.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #130: October 05, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »
I think you have to give Cole a serious look for a post-season spot
Hey, someone has to play the Ross Detweiler role this year.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #131: October 05, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »
Dusty just said the he was still deciding between Gio and Max for game 2 and that if Max didn't pitch game 2 he would pitch game 3.
Seems pretty obvious that you go with Gio. Max isn't 100% and more time is needed. Even an extra day or two. Gio is far better at home and pitches with more emotion. The fans will be behind him at home.

It's funny, but if Max can been good, his injury may be a blessing in disguise and force Dusty to arrange the rotation the way it should have been the whole time.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #132: October 05, 2017, 11:30:46 AM »
Gio is far better at home
From his 2017 splits, looks to me like he's slightly better on the road.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #133: October 05, 2017, 11:47:04 AM »
From his 2017 splits, looks to me like he's slightly better on the road.
http://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits.aspx?playerid=7448&position=P&season=2017

2.76 ERA at home; 3.12 ERA on the road

Offline spidernat

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #135: October 05, 2017, 11:56:23 AM »
But all of his other numbers look better on the road. OPS, OBP, wOBA, BAA

Offline mdnatsfan

« Reply #136: October 05, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »
I think this will be Gio's year to put it all together. He's arguably the best pitcher in the lineup this year when you factor health and consistency. I hope he doesn't revert to the mid-inning walk machine we've seen before. I think he wins his starts this year!

I'm going to game 1 and thrilled to see Stras, who has definitively been the best pitcher on staff since September 1. I told my son 4 weeks ago I thought Stras should be the game 1 starter. And now he is.

Max will Max and WIN. Doesn't matter when they put him in. And if he starts game 3 and we need him for game 5, he'll play. Guarantee it.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #137: October 05, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
Zuck reporting that Gio's throwing in the bullpen currently and Max played catch on the field with the other pitchers and the trainers. Max gave a fist pump when he finished his workout.

Looks like Gio for Game 2 and Max for Game 3.  Zuck reporting that this is because the team is reluctant to push Max too fast (can't say I blame them).

Offline 3bside

« Reply #138: October 05, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »
I trust Max a lot more than Gio in a Game 3 at Wrigley.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #139: October 05, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
Zuck reporting that Gio's throwing in the bullpen currently and Max played catch on the field with the other pitchers and the trainers. Max gave a fist pump when he finished his workout.

Looks like Gio for Game 2 and Max for Game 3.  Zuck reporting that this is because the team is reluctant to push Max too fast (can't say I blame them).

Unless its an elimination situation (us being eliminated), I'm not sure Max gets game 3.  There is no advantage to using him in 3 instead of 4, in terms of being able to come back in the series on normal rest, and I think there is no chance Max would come out of the pen in a game 5 in either case.   They may give him as much time to recover as possible.  Dropping from 2 to 3 is the significant change.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #140: October 05, 2017, 12:50:45 PM »

Yeah, but Dusty has said a lot of things regarding this that didn't come to fruition.  Initially he said it wouldn't effect the rotation line-up at all.  I think Roark gets 3 unless we're down 2-0.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #141: October 05, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »
I am not sure you have to carry AJ Cole as a long guy. In regular season, yes, you need a long guy, but in the postseason even If you get beat up early you have to stay in the fight and try to fight back. Solis, Perez, and Grace all can go a couple innings in case of a Guthrie type disaster.

I think you definitely go with Cole if there is less than 100% confidence in Max's hamstring.  I think I'd take him over Grace either way anyhow.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #142: October 05, 2017, 01:07:33 PM »
Unless its an elimination situation (us being eliminated), I'm not sure Max gets game 3.  There is no advantage to using him in 3 instead of 4, in terms of being able to come back in the series on normal rest, and I think there is no chance Max would come out of the pen in a game 5 in either case.   They may give him as much time to recover as possible.  Dropping from 2 to 3 is the significant change.
I could absolutely see him pulling a Kershaw/Zimmermann in Game 5 if it meant closing out the Cubs. I think you pitch him in G3 regardless, if he's healthy.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #143: October 05, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »
I could absolutely see him pulling a Kershaw/Zimmermann in Game 5 if it meant closing out the Cubs. I think you pitch him in G3 regardless, if he's healthy.

But he isn't healthy,  even if he goes game 3, there still has to be concern.  Not the time to try the experiment of bringing him back on short rest from the pen.  We have solid set-up guys and a closer.  Only chance of  that, and I still don't know if they'd do it, is an extra innings marathon.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #145: October 05, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »
But he isn't healthy,  even if he goes game 3, there still has to be concern.  Not the time to try the experiment of bringing him back on short rest from the pen.  We have solid set-up guys and a closer.  Only chance of  that, and I still don't know if they'd do it, is an extra innings marathon.
We don't know what his health will be after game 3 or going into game 5. If they need him in game 5, they shouldn't hesitate to use him out of the pen for a inning or maybe even two.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #146: October 05, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »
:panic:

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #147: October 05, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »
Me too

Offline DPMOmaha

Offline 3bside

« Reply #149: October 05, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
So presumably Tanner gets the Game 4 start instead of SS on short rest.