Author Topic: Winker's Ever our Chance for offense  (Read 283 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Winker's Ever our Chance for offense
« Topic Start: April 13, 2024, 07:41:08 AM »
Was only a non-roster invite  and a cheap signing, but so far we can't be too disappointed with his start. Too early for meaningful statistical analysis, but .361 / .511 / .528 line with is pretty nice. Chipped in with his first dinger last night. The .429 BABIP can't continue, but the 17% walk rate and 15% K rate are nearing the point where they become meaningful. Defensively, he's still bad and will likely rack up assists as people test his ability to come up with a ball and make a quick and accurate throw, but he's really a DH playing out of position.

OF the guys we signed to trade, I suspect he'll have a market, maybe as soon as the Nats are ready to call up Wood. Both Meneses and Rosario should not be taking playing time from him. It will be interesting when Garrett is ready. The best non-Wood lineup probably has Garrett in left and Winker at DH.

Offline aspenbubba

Re: Winker's Ever our Chance for offense
« Reply #1: April 13, 2024, 12:26:08 PM »
Not sure where to put this so an overzealous moderator can place this in another thread. I have been very adamant regarding the Gallo and Senzel signings and consider them useless. We will get nothing back at the deadline for either of them and my money is on Senzel being Dickersoned. Unfortunately, Gallo and Senzel have guaranteed contracts and they will be in the lineup until at least the deadline. Though I would like to see Wood promoted I think it is wise to keep him at Rochester until mid May. Given the hand we have been dealt I think the line up starting in mid May will be:
Abrams SS
Thomas  RF
Winker  DH
Gallo    1B
Ruiz     C
Wood   LF
Senzel  3B
Garcia. 2B
Robles  CF

BACK UPS
Adams, Vargas, Yepez, Rosario

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2: April 13, 2024, 12:50:57 PM »
Winker woud be a much better DH than our current one. Of course that lineup depends on Robles coming back soon. At this point I'd rather see Yepez at DH.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: April 13, 2024, 01:05:09 PM »
Gallo can play left, Winker DH, and Yepez 1st. Garrett could force the issue, too, and he's on the 40 man.

Offline aspenbubba

Re: Luis Garcia Aspirations / Trepidations Thread
« Reply #4: April 18, 2024, 09:03:46 AM »

A future infield of:

2B - Garcia
3B - House
SS - Abrams

And hopefully YoYo at 1B. Crews and Wood in the OF. Our catchers will be a weak point, and throw in two bats at DH and LF, and you've got a damn good lineup. That lineup can even field a bit too. Maybe that LF is Hassall, maybe it's a FA. Still need pitching, but the future doesn't look so bad.

I see Winker having more upside than Hassel. You also have Lile and Pinckney as the LF.  Winker is on a MiLB contract probably being paid major league minimum. Does he become a FA at season end or do the Nats have to tender him to keep him?

Online nobleisthyname

Winker will be a FA at the end of this season

Edit: I think that would be true regardless since he was a free agent this past offseason, but Winker also already has 6 years of service time going into this season.

Senzel will also be a FA even though he doesn't have 6 years of service time yet.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: April 19, 2024, 11:30:19 AM »
Winker and CJ worked out together this off-season, and CJ picked up on a number of tips from Winker's very deliberate hitting approach.

Golden: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/04/18/jesse-winker-nationals/

In the offseason, shortstop CJ Abrams and Winker formed a bond working out together at the Maven Baseball Lab in Atlanta. And Abrams was thrilled when Washington signed Winker. Abrams said Winker, who has made an effort to take Washington’s young hitters under his wing, has been the veteran mentor he has needed.

“Paying attention to detail,” Abrams said about Winker’s success. “Every day, he’s working and making sure everything is perfect with his swing.”

Abrams said he often picks Winker’s brain because their swings are similar. Winker and Abrams, who is hitting .295 with a 1.014 OPS, have been two of the bright spots in a Nationals offense that has struggled as a whole.

“Having hit in the same place all winter, I think they share information,” Coles said. “They know each other’s swing backward and forward. So anytime one gets a little out of sync, they talk to each other.”

Offline wj73

« Reply #7: April 20, 2024, 12:36:18 PM »
Bravo on the thread title.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: April 20, 2024, 12:54:02 PM »
Bravo on the thread title.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
beats some play on Tinky Winky.

("Nudge, Nudge, Grin, Grin,) Winker, Winker, (say no more Squire") would have been too long, and this one is baseball related.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #9: April 21, 2024, 11:31:01 AM »
What a 9th inning yesterday! And Winker's hit was something right out of 2019.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #10: April 21, 2024, 11:35:09 AM »
Keep him in the lineup as long as his bat stays hot, but his .413 BABIP is 5th in MLB.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: April 21, 2024, 11:50:20 AM »
Keep him in the lineup as long as his bat stays hot, but his .413 BABIP is 5th in MLB.
he's been a bit of an overperformer on his xstats, but he's as much a lucky guy as Lane and Joey have underperformed

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #12: April 21, 2024, 02:39:22 PM »
He's barrelling the ball at a rate he hasn't since 2021 when he had a wRC+ over 140. He's getting a bit lucky but he's not just hitting cheapies either.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: April 21, 2024, 02:40:22 PM »
He's barrelling the ball at a rate he hasn't since 2021 when he had a wRC+ over 140. He's getting a bit lucky but he's not just hitting cheapies either.
I mean, you can buy a scenario where 2021 is reality for him and last year was injury related as he says.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #14: April 22, 2024, 11:53:13 PM »
Winker was good from his age 23 - 27 years. The Nats might of got something here.