Author Topic: 2024 Broadcasting Options and Broadcasters  (Read 279 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
2024 Broadcasting Options and Broadcasters
« Topic Start: March 14, 2024, 09:28:16 AM »
We've kind of focused a lot on MASN and it's availability, but less on radio and less on the voices themselves. This is a general broadcasting thread. We'll leave the finances and structure of MASN to its own thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/14/nationals-spanish-radio-broadcasts/

Nats are bringing back Spanish-language broadcasts

“Baseball is a favorite sport among Latinos, and we feel honored and privileged to bring this live play-by-play programming in the native Spanish language to our loyal and passionate Hispanic audience in the DMV,” Jose Villafane, managing partner of Costa Media, the Nationals’ Spanish-language radio broadcast partner, said in a statement.

Roughly 30 percent of MLB players identified as Hispanic or Latino last season, according to the league. Washington’s Dave Martinez, the child of Puerto Rican parents, is one of six active Latino managers in baseball, while Keibert Ruiz, Joey Meneses and Victor Robles are among the Latinos on the Nationals’ diverse roster.

“When we go out on the field every game, the guys know we’re there to represent D.C. — and it’s always our goal to make all of D.C. proud, including our strong Hispanic community,” Martinez said in a statement. “I’m excited that we’ll now be able to reach even more fans with this partnership. We have a lot of guys on our roster who take pride in their Hispanic heritage, and I know they’re excited too.”

Offline Senatorswin

Re: 2024 Broadcasting Options and Broadcasters
« Reply #1: March 14, 2024, 09:54:59 AM »
With all the problems seeing the games at a resonable cost it might be time to sit on the front porch and listen to Charlie and Dave like the old days listening to Shelby Whitfield and Ron Menchine with the Senators. The problem is once you give fans the ability to watch your favorite team 162 games a year on TV it's tough to go back.

The one good thing is we have two of the best with our radio guys.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: March 14, 2024, 10:54:33 AM »
Spanish broadcast is great  :clap: 

Lots of interest in youth hockey in Sikh communities around Canada has been driven by parents & grandparents following the CBC's NHL coverage in Punjabi.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #3: March 14, 2024, 01:22:23 PM »
The one good thing is we have two of the best with our radio guys.

They really are.  I listen on SiriusXM frequently and love hearing the local ads, reminds me of when I lived in the DC area.

Offline machpost

« Reply #4: March 14, 2024, 02:03:21 PM »
They really are.  I listen on SiriusXM frequently and love hearing the local ads, reminds me of when I lived in the DC area.
"NATCA. We guide you home." and "Grainger. For the ones who get it done."

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #5: March 14, 2024, 03:17:48 PM »
It's been 12 years since I've gone full radio-only. I'd love to watch the games on TV again but I will never pay for cable so until another streaming option becomes available I'll stick with Charlie and Dave.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #6: March 15, 2024, 11:32:11 AM »
Spanish broadcast is great  :clap: 

Lots of interest in youth hockey in Sikh communities around Canada has been driven by parents & grandparents following the CBC's NHL coverage in Punjabi.

That's true-- are you Canadian by any chance?

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #7: March 15, 2024, 11:37:34 AM »
"NATCA. We guide you home." and "Grainger. For the ones who get it done."

Wish they’d finally dump that Franz Ferdinand tune. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #8: March 15, 2024, 04:04:29 PM »

That's true-- are you Canadian by any chance?

Ali is a Citizen of the World...

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #9: March 19, 2024, 12:29:29 PM »
Ali is a Citizen of the World...

I guess we all are, in someway.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #10: March 20, 2024, 07:20:38 AM »
There is an argument that claiming to be a 'Citizen Of The World' is actually claiming to be a citizen of nowhere...