Author Topic: Boswell has a column today...READ IT (May 2016)  (Read 2948 times)

Online Natsinpwc

I got a few of 'em next door.    :)
They are all over the place. Like cockroaches. Almost as bad as those pesky Phillies fans.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Isn't it "glass half full" in GDTs?  I can't imagine that if one actually counted positive/negative/neutral posts in a given GDT that it would sway significantly to either side (depending on the game, of course).  It's just that the negative posts are often so much more hyperbolic that stands out.  Negative posters also get a lot more attention, whereas very few people bother to point out when someone is being consistently or overly positive.

I bet a GDT word cloud would be...  interesting :lol:

This.   

I'm in almost every GDT.    There's some negativity but I think a lot of that is shtick.   I mean, when you're callin' "game" in the third inning, ya just can't take that to heart.   :)       I see it like sittin' in a bar with a bunch of Nats' fans.   Someone's always goin' on about something.    Some of us occasionally don't follow script (hijack the thread for a minute).    Everybody else just shakes their heads and order from the menu.

Offline mitlen

They are all over the place. Like cockroaches. Almost as bad as those pesky Phillies fans.

Not quite  ...    :poke:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I'm shocked when media writes negative articles about athletes not giving them access. Just shocked.

Offline Baseball is Life

Isn't it "glass half full" in GDTs?  I can't imagine that if one actually counted positive/negative/neutral posts in a given GDT that it would sway significantly to either side (depending on the game, of course).  It's just that the negative posts are often so much more hyperbolic that stands out.  Negative posters also get a lot more attention, whereas very few people bother to point out when someone is being consistently or overly positive.

You're kidding, right? GDT's are a total nagfest, which is cool because I now think that's what they're there for. I accept them for what they are.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I know there are some people in the DMV who didn't follow the Orioles but for the most part that's who baseball fans here followed. Some are in denial over this but there is a whole generation of Os fans in there 30s and 40s who will probably always be Os fans to some degree. It's still irritating to hear the local radio and TV give their scores as if they are the home team.

I get it.  When I lived there there were no Nationals -  but local radio, tv and newswriters have to cater to their audience and the audience has a contingent of Orioles fans who, if ignored, would cease listening, watching and reading.  Then those talkers, broadcasters and writers lose their job - all because some butthurt baseball "fans" don't like the Orioles.

DC residents rooting for a club that is actively seeking the liquidation of the Nationals is treason, pure and simple. Yet sadly these do still exist - Boswell, George Will et al.

Call the Wahmbulance; or better yet, BiL's Fan Police Brigade.  People can root for whatever freaking team they want.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

I bet a GDT word cloud would be...  interesting :lol:

The GDT's are the lifeblood of this forum.   :lol:

Online Natsinpwc

I get it.  When I lived there there were no Nationals -  but local radio, tv and newswriters have to cater to their audience and the audience has a contingent of Orioles fans who, if ignored, would cease listening, watching and reading.  Then those talkers, broadcasters and writers lose their job - all because some butthurt baseball "fans" don't like the Orioles.

Call the Wahmbulance; or better yet, BiL's Fan Police Brigade.  People can root for whatever freaking team they want.
I understand. If I were a Redskins fan it would irritate me to see the CSN web site featuring the Ravens so often. As you say. If you don't like it just ignore it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I understand. If I were a Redskins fan it would irritate me to see the CSN web site featuring the Ravens so often. As you say. If you don't like it just ignore it.

And by the way . . .  It would seem that if there's a large contingency of baseball fans in DC who despise hearing from fans of other teams we'd have far better attendance than we do.  It's embarrassing listening to and watching games to see/hear all of the fans of opponents who overtake the ball park.  This keeps up and the Orioles will be the lone game in town....  Again...

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
[..]Then those talkers, broadcasters and writers lose their job - all because some butthurt baseball "fans" don't like the Orioles.

I would hardly consider wanting to keep one's baseball team, in the face of an Orioles owner actively seeking that team's liquidation, being 'butthurt'.

Chacun a son gout...we get it, you're a Peter Angelos fan.

Online Natsinpwc

And by the way . . .  It would seem that if there's a large contingency of baseball fans in DC who despise hearing from fans of other teams we'd have far better attendance than we do.  It's embarrassing listening to and watching games to see/hear all of the fans of opponents who overtake the ball park.  This keeps up and the Orioles will be the lone game in town....  Again...
Wizards games are worse. Used to be in a group that had seats behind the visitors bench. Especially bad when Lebron or Kobe visited.

The Caps now have a strong core group that prevents it for the most part. The Nats not so much. I think it would take a World Series to have ticket sales be strong enough.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
And by the way . . .  It would seem that if there's a large contingency of baseball fans in DC who despise hearing from fans of other teams we'd have far better attendance than we do.  It's embarrassing listening to and watching games to see/hear all of the fans of opponents who overtake the ball park.[...]

...but then again about the only time the Orioles sell out is the Yankees and Red Sox visits - and sometimes even those aren't the guaranteed sell-outs they once were (Orioles currently 23rd in MLB in gross attendance, 19th last season).

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I would hardly consider wanting to keep one's baseball team, in the face of an Orioles owner actively seeking that team's liquidation, being 'butthurt'.

Chacun a son gout...we get it, you're a Peter Angelos fan.

You do realize that Angelos didn't own the Orioles for the overwhelming majority of the time frame you reference, right?  Or that Angelos didn't force TWO separate Senators teams to move, right?  But whatever.  Keep going with your delusional fantasy that the Orioles are the center of what plagues this particular DC baseball team.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Wizards games are worse. Used to be in a group that had seats behind the visitors bench. Especially bad when Lebron or Kobe visited.

The Caps now have a strong core group that prevents it for the most part. The Nats not so much. I think it would take a World Series to have ticket sales be strong enough.

I don't know.  DC has a long history of not supporting its sports teams outside of the Redskins.  The Caps may just be an anomaly right now.

People just don't follow baseball the way they used to.

...but then again about the only time the Orioles sell out is the Yankees and Red Sox visits - and sometimes even those aren't the guaranteed sell-outs they once were (Orioles currently 23rd in MLB in gross attendance, 19th last season).

So . . .  who's hyper-focused on the Orioles now?   :stir:

:?

Offline mitlen

Hell, it irritates me and I ain't a 'skins fan.

Offline UMDNats

i would read their website but im not a post subscriber so im SOL. judging by everyone here, i would only be annoyed, so maybe i am better off

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Hell, it irritates me and I ain't a 'skins fan.

When I lived in DC it drove me nuts when the Caps were in the middle of a Cup run and the lead stories were Redskins voluntary mini-camp bullcrap workouts.

I hated the Redskins when I lived there because the world revolved around them.

Offline mitlen

i would read their website but im not a post subscriber so im SOL. judging by everyone here, i would only be annoyed, so maybe i am better off

There are ways around the subscription issue.

Online Natsinpwc

When I lived in DC it drove me nuts when the Caps were in the middle of a Cup run and the lead stories were Redskins voluntary mini-camp bullcrap workouts.

A Cup run? Oh, you must mean the President's Cup.   

Offline mitlen

It hasn't changed.    :)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

No. Wasn't it 2000 when they went to the Finals?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
It hasn't changed.    :)

Yeah but I don't have to listen to it now...   :lol:

Offline Baseball is Life

And they can decide what they want for lunch and what they want to do this weekend. Duh. Quit being so paranoid.

Online Natsinpwc

I think it was 99.
I was being sarcastic.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

'98

:hysterical: