Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 36348 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
We need a number 4 hitter. Souza aint it.

This isnt a playoff team. Its time to sell.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

in the words of our old friend Bloo, "Souza = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!1111!!!!!"

Not.  Nobody is saying Souza will make this a playoff team.  This is literally a fill in flyer while to get through injuries.  I still am not sure I'd give him a shot, but some sort of righty outfielder to blend in with Stevenson and / or Hernandez while we wait for Schwarber to get healthy and maybe even give Soto a day off would not be dumb.

Offline Slateman

Theres no reason to waste a roster spot and waiver claim on a 32 year old.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Theres no reason to waste a roster spot and waiver claim on a 32 year old.
the 40 man spot is an issue, but there's some crud on it. Rock Loebstein, etc... 

Offline UMDNats

Robles, Rutledge, Jeremy De La Rosa and PTBL (2021 draft pick from rounds 3-7) for Bryan Reynolds. Easy.

Might even sub in Garcia for DLR to grease the wheels a little bit. Reynolds would fill a lot of weak points for us.

Offline Slateman

Robles, Rutledge, Jeremy De La Rosa and PTBL (2021 draft pick from rounds 3-7) for Bryan Reynolds. Easy.

Might even sub in Garcia for DLR to grease the wheels a little bit. Reynolds would fill a lot of weak points for us.
Why would the Pirates take that?

Offline Natsinpwc

So Parra is back.  Eaton will be back soon.  Might as well just call Howie. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Sign Eaton and send him to Rochester to work out his hitting.

Nats will still need a decent hitter in CF.

Offline UMDNats

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961

This is the bottom line and nobody wants to face facts.  2019 was a different situation because of the wild card potential.  There is NO wild card potential in 2021.  The Mets could tread water for the rest of the season and still win the division. 

It's over, Johnny!

Offline welch

Even if the 2021 Nats do not make the playoffs, why sell?

Why "sell" good players for prospects?

Why not build around players like Max, Strasburg, Turner, and Soto? While Rizzo has filled out the roster with useful older players, what sort of return could the Nats imagine getting for Josh Harrison and Jordy Mercer, or Starlin Castro and Gerardo Parra? Who did the Nats accumulate when Rizzo sold players in 2018?

Offline UMDNats

rizzo didn't sell players in 2018 and it's hard to build around a late-30s SP, a now always injured 30+ SP, a pending FA.

Offline Slateman

Why not build around players like Max, Strasburg, Turner, and Soto? While Rizzo has filled out the roster with useful older players, what sort of return could the Nats imagine getting for Josh Harrison and Jordy Mercer, or Starlin Castro and Gerardo Parra? Who did the Nats accumulate when Rizzo sold players in 2018?
Max is gone at the end of the year. Unless the Nats massively overpay, he isnt going to stick around to finish his career on a sub .500 team.

Turner is gone the year after that.

The Nats got nothing in 2018 because they waited until mid August and the Lerners vetoed a Harper trade. This has still proven to be an enormous mistake as they got nothing in return.

The farm is terrrible. This team needs something to develop if it wants to compete again in the Soto window

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

only 2 of the guys you want to build around are locked up beyond next year, and one of those  who is locked up hasn't taken his position for most of he past 2 seasons.

Offline Slateman

I gotta think the Dodgers will be desperate.

You trade Scherzer for one of Gray/Ruiz/Busch, along with a couple other smaller level guys, and you could legit compete next season. Particularly if you can get anything decent back for Hand, Hudson, Harrison, and Schwarber.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

You trade Scherzer for one of Gray/Ruiz/Busch, along with a couple other smaller level guys, and you could legit compete next season. Particularly if you can get anything decent back for Hand, Hudson, Harrison, and Schwarber.

Wouldn’t mind a Scherzer bidding war between the big three nl west teams.  All three have a great collection of prospects

Offline Slateman

Wouldn’t mind a Scherzer bidding war between the big three nl west teams.  All three have a great collection of prospects
Too bad there arent three NL West teams looking for a top of the rotation starter

Offline welch

What's so great about these guys? I read about them in MLB Prospects, then looked up their current stats. Gray, the pitcher, seems behind Cavalli, Rutledge, and Henry. Ruiz, the catcher is said to be a good contact hitter but not a great catcher. Bush, a 2B is predicted to be a good hitter in the future. Which one of them would make the Nats "compete" next year?

Offline Slateman

What's so great about these guys? I read about them in MLB Prospects, then looked up their current stats. Gray, the pitcher, seems behind Cavalli, Rutledge, and Henry. Ruiz, the catcher is said to be a good contact hitter but not a great catcher. Bush, a 2B is predicted to be a good hitter in the future. Which one of them would make the Nats "compete" next year?
Any one of them would be the best prospect on this team. All will be MLB ready by next year's ASB at the latest.

Gray has 100+ innings under his belt and is dominating in Triple A

Ruiz is a good hitting catcher. Thats rare and the Dodgers are chock full at catcher.

Busch is hitting well in Double A and will likely finish the season in Triple A

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
BA has Cavalli ranked higher than all three in their latest rankings FYI.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
If the Dodgers are willing to trade one or two of those top tier pieces for Max, that means they are intending to trade for and then extend Scherzer. The Dodgers are smart. So… that means I’d rather be the team to extend Scherzer.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Cavalli is a guy we have to hold onto even if we make a push this year
 The effect on your budget of having an mlb minimum ace level pitcher makes him a crown jewel.  Moreso than Rutledge.

Offline Slateman

No one else does.

If the Dodgers are willing to trade one or two of those top tier pieces for Max, that means they are intending to trade for and then extend Scherzer. The Dodgers are smart. So… that means I’d rather be the team to extend Scherzer.
Cool. Let them. Scherzer isnt signing an extension here.
Cavalli is a guy we have to hold onto even if we make a push this year
 The effect on your budget of having an mlb minimum ace level pitcher makes him a crown jewel.  Moreso than Rutledge.
TINSTAAPP

And no one is saying give up Cavelli.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Oh sure. Last winter I would have used Rutledge in that sentence.  But Cavalli is close.

Offline Slateman

Oh sure. Last winter I would have used Rutledge in that sentence.  But Cavalli is close.
Cavalli is no where near