Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Dylan Crews, OF  (Read 14586 times)

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
Re: Follow the Prospects: Dylan Crews, OF
« Reply #25: July 18, 2023, 12:01:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1681170732531720193?s=20

Updated amount the Nats can spend on Crews before forfeiting next year's first (which they won't have to do to sign Crews).

9.1 seems to be the ceiling.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: July 18, 2023, 12:08:20 PM »
so, as best as I can guess, there was about $9.4 million left below the draft pick penalty before this signing, and Brown is signed for $350K. That leaves around $9.1 million for Crews.
obvious. ;)

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #27: July 18, 2023, 12:27:01 PM »
obvious. ;)

🫱🏾‍🫲🏼🫱🏾‍🫲🏼

Salute 💯

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #29: July 18, 2023, 07:39:53 PM »
Pirates have signed Skenes, and assigned him to FCL. It is time for Crews!

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #30: July 18, 2023, 08:35:30 PM »
So there were rumors that the Pirates were not going to pay what Crews wanted. The Nats are not able to pay him more than Skenes, and yet, it sounds like he is still signing. So how much of all that noise was just Crews didn't want to play for Pittsburgh?

Also, it's nuts to think the Nats are sitting three first round talents.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #31: July 20, 2023, 12:09:44 PM »
So there were rumors that the Pirates were not going to pay what Crews wanted. The Nats are not able to pay him more than Skenes, and yet, it sounds like he is still signing. So how much of all that noise was just Crews didn't want to play for Pittsburgh?

Also, it's nuts to think the Nats are sitting three first round talents.
That was the rumbling I'd heard the whole time. He, well Boras probably, was saying he didn't want to sign with Pittsburgh and much preferred Washington. I think that was more bluster than anything because was he really going to go back to college? I don't think so. He would have signed with the Pirates, but they seemingly relented and went a different direction.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #32: July 20, 2023, 12:15:11 PM »
No one wants to be drafted by Pittsburgh. It's a guarantee you're going to be freaked with to control service time and/or you'll likely be traded or low-balled for extensions. Basically Skenes can lock in being traded or walking to FA in 8-9 years.

Meanwhile the Nats spend like drunken sailors sometimes but more importantly are always willing to pay for talent.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #33: July 20, 2023, 12:20:36 PM »
Pitching talent. Maybe Crews will break the trend of signing position players long term.

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #34: July 20, 2023, 02:17:30 PM »
Pitching talent. Maybe Crews will break the trend of signing position players long term.

Zimmerman and Werth!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #35: July 20, 2023, 02:33:33 PM »

Only guy they probably regret is Harper. Zimmerman was signed forever, they paid for Werth.

Soto looks like a fat DH-only moving forward rather than Ted Williams 2.0. Turner, Rendon both easy decisions not to commit massive money to.

Offline blue911

« Reply #36: July 20, 2023, 02:47:44 PM »
Only guy they probably regret is Harper. Zimmerman was signed forever, they paid for Werth.

Soto looks like a fat DH-only moving forward rather than Ted Williams 2.0. Turner, Rendon both easy decisions not to commit massive money to.

Williams was a terrible fielder.

Offline welch

« Reply #37: July 20, 2023, 04:14:48 PM »
Williams was a terrible fielder.

I remember Ted as a decent fielder. Of course, Fenway is so small that nobody looked liked a super-star outfielder, but I can't remember hearing that Williams was bad.

Offline blue911

« Reply #38: July 20, 2023, 04:20:31 PM »
I remember Ted as a decent fielder. Of course, Fenway is so small that nobody looked liked a super-star outfielder, but I can't remember hearing that Williams was bad.

He played during an era where players were largely lionized. Manny Ramirez was okay in Fenway but Carl Crawford wasn’t. Maybe Fenway rewards slow left fielders.

Offline welch

« Reply #39: July 20, 2023, 04:25:01 PM »
He played during an era where players were largely lionized. Manny Ramirez was okay in Fenway but Carl Crawford wasn’t. Maybe Fenway rewards slow left fielders.

Or Fenway is so small that an outfielder has little chance, or need, to show how good they are.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #40: July 20, 2023, 04:39:54 PM »
Crews is in DC

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42: July 20, 2023, 04:54:30 PM »
Crews is in DC
I suspect the announcement will be before tomorrow's game and he'll be introduced at the night game. They may originally have thought today, an off day, would be a good day to do the signing, but with the Commies sale approval, I think that gets #1 on the sports news, if not the news.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43: July 20, 2023, 05:01:26 PM »

I've had a theory that good reads and throws are more important than speed in left at Fenway. Crawford had make up speed, but that's useless or at least neutralized in a small area when balls are down or off the wall pretty quickly. That was especially true when the wall was girders covered with tin as it was for Williams, Yaz, and Rice. It was easier to play for Manny, so even playing tricky bounces was less important.

Williams would have been a DH just like Soto will be.

Offline blue911

« Reply #44: July 20, 2023, 05:19:23 PM »
I've had a theory that good reads and throws are more important than speed in left at Fenway. Crawford had make up speed, but that's useless or at least neutralized in a small area when balls are down or off the wall pretty quickly. That was especially true when the wall was girders covered with tin as it was for Williams, Yaz, and Rice. It was easier to play for Manny, so even playing tricky bounces was less important.

Williams would have been a DH just like Soto will be.

A strong,accurate arm is important. Jason Bay was great there.

Offline Slateman

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #46: July 20, 2023, 05:24:46 PM »
Looks short

He’s only 6’0 feet tall. In that pic though he’s in flip flops and leaning to the right a touch. Plus, he’s half a step back from the young gents. Most importantly, he’s a gd stud on the field so none of this actually matters lol

Offline Slateman

« Reply #47: July 20, 2023, 06:32:51 PM »
He’s only 6’0 feet tall. In that pic though he’s in flip flops and leaning to the right a touch. Plus, he’s half a step back from the young gents. Most importantly, he’s a gd stud on the field so none of this actually matters lol

Dunno. He looks like that guy that tells chicks he's 6 foot when he's really. 5'10" and three fifths

Offline welch

« Reply #48: July 20, 2023, 06:40:53 PM »
Yankees have a prospect, their number 1, named Jasson Dominguez. He is 5-9, 190 pounds:

Perhaps the most hyped international prospect ever, Domínguez drew comparisons to Bo Jackson, Mickey Mantle and Mike Trout before signing for $5.1 million out of the Dominican Republic. He earned the nickname "The Martian" because of his otherworldly tools, and while he may have a difficult time living up to unrealistic expectations, he's on course to becoming at least a solid regular.

Crews, then, is tall enough.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #49: July 20, 2023, 06:41:08 PM »
Dunno. He looks like that guy that tells chicks he's 6 foot when he's really. 5'10" and three fifths

We’ll get more pics from different perspectives over the next few days, so we’ll see

So long as the bat speed remains electric though I’m good with any vertical embellishment lol