Author Topic: Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy to have 2nd TJ Surgery  (Read 15943 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Clearly his valuation of Santana as #6th best was based on talent only and had nothing to do with money. There's no reason for the Nats to sign him regardless of his going rate. $1 million or $14 he was never a fit. That wasn't the discussion, though.

Offline SkinsNDeacs

Why are we even talking about the Nats signing Santana?  There is one person who is completely blinded by hate purposing that we sign him. 

Offline ZIM4MVP

We could have at least pushed the price up a little

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Ervin is getting $14.1MM.  No way we could have pushed that price up.   

Offline Ray D

So, in reality, Ervin Santana is a marginal improvement. Which is not worth 14 million and a draft pick.

hmmm.  Marginal improvement.  14 million.  Draft pick.   ..... remind you of anyone?   

Why didn't this logic prevail a year ago.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Media definitely playing the shutdown angle.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Media definitely playing the shutdown angle.

Where have you seen it? 

Offline Kevrock

Lovorro takes the middle road, which is the obvious safe route. USA Today I think and a couple other sites said basically that this vindicates the Nats.

If only all the media outlets that trashed the Nats USING MEDLEN AS EVIDENCE would come forward and eat crow. "Strasburg shut down, Medlen a shutdown starter" was the popular headline IIRC.

Or hey, at least the people claiming that using Strasburg in relief would have been a solution could eat crow.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Edit:

Not even worth it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Lovorro takes the middle road, which is the obvious safe route. USA Today I think and a couple other sites said basically that this vindicates the Nats.

If only all the media outlets that trashed the Nats USING MEDLEN AS EVIDENCE would come forward and eat crow. "Strasburg shut down, Medlen a shutdown starter" was the popular headline IIRC.

Or hey, at least the people claiming that using Strasburg in relief would have been a solution could eat crow.

And then Strasburg's  elbow could blow out tomorrow. There are so many variable that play into pitcher health that its almost a roll of the dice.

Offline Dave301

You already know the local media is going to talk about it. I want all of those a-holes on ESPN, MLB Network, and from the rest of the national media that jumped on the bandwagon of bashing the Nats to talk about it. The Shutdown was the biggest story that year, and the Nats came out from it not looking very good. People aren't going to come out and say they were wrong, but they need to at least bring back up the subject.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
You already know the local media is going to talk about it. I want all of those a-holes on ESPN, MLB Network, and from the rest of the national media that jumped on the bandwagon of bashing the Nats to talk about it. The Shutdown was the biggest story that year, and the Nats came out from it not looking very good. People aren't going to come out and say they were wrong, but they need to at least bring back up the subject.

Meh. You care too much about what the media thinks. The Nats did the right thing for their player given the medical advice they had. The outcomes with Medlen or Stras don't really vindicate or invalidate. They simply made the best decision with the information they had.

Offline Dave301

Meh. You care too much about what the media thinks. The Nats did the right thing for their player given the medical advice they had. The outcomes with Medlen or Stras don't really vindicate or invalidate. They simply made the best decision with the information they had.
It shows that you can never be too careful with TJ recovery. Everybody acted like the Nats had no clue what they were doing. They said that the Nats were going about it all wrong, and the Braves were doing it the right way with Medlen. I'm normally not concerned too much about what the national media has to say, but they were constantly making the Nats look bad in regards to The Shutdown. They need to make up for some of that. They need to at least bring back the discussion.

Offline blue911

It shows that you can never be too careful with TJ recovery. Everybody acted like the Nats had no clue what they were doing. They said that the Nats were going about it all wrong, and the Braves were doing it the right way with Medlen. I'm normally not concerned too much about what the national media has to say, but they were constantly making the Nats look bad in regards to The Shutdown. They need to make up for some of that. They need to at least bring back the discussion.

Nobody said anything when the Cards wasted a roster spot on Shelby Miller (and really did mess with the World Series outcome) so don't hold your breath.

Medlen pointed out how he was different than Strasburg but nobody wanted to listen. Chances are Medlen wasn't hurt by his rehab but hurt by switching to a starter so soon after TJ. 

Offline 3bside

As they say, let your playing do the talking.  If Stras and JZim lead us deep into the post season, then it doesn't matter what anybody says.

Offline Kevrock

Offline Dave301

As they say, let your playing do the talking.  If Stras and JZim lead us deep into the post season, then it doesn't matter what anybody says.
It shouldn't need to come to that, but it would shut a lot of people up.

Offline Kevrock

And then Strasburg's  elbow could blow out tomorrow. There are so many variable that play into pitcher health that its almost a roll of the dice.

Sure, agree with that.

Offline NJ Ave

Chances are Medlen wasn't hurt by his rehab but hurt by switching to a starter so soon after TJ. 

Agree with this. When a guy is a RP, you switch him to starter and he blows out his elbow, you make him a RP again. THAT'S what I blame the Braves for - the aggressive approach to usage, if not timing. I feel like the right thing to do, as a franchise, is to take the most conservative approach with your players in these major injuries. If that means role/inning/pitch limits, fine. Don't be part of the problem.

That's not to say Strasburg or Zimmermann or anyone else can't blow out their elbow again anyways. But you just look like a bad franchise if it appears you may have contributed to ruining a guy's career by asking him to do more/faster than maybe he was capable of. Maybe Kerry Wood and Mark Prior were doomed anyways, but Dusty Baker still looks like a jerk.

And you never know what kind of benefits you reap from being the "good guys" but I certainly believe in karma (or at least the power of reputation!). What if the only reason Giolito signed a bottom half of the first round deal (when he could have gone to college) was that he felt comfortable with the Nationals handling of pitchers who needed TJ? And what if Giolito ends up a top-10 SP? What if agents start seeing the trend of Braves pitchers with repeat arm issues and start advising their clients elsewhere? You never know.

Offline Dave301

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman ·7m
Beachy and Medlen are both scheduled to be evaluated by Dr. James Andrews on Monday

Offline sportsfan882

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman ·7m
Beachy and Medlen are both scheduled to be evaluated by Dr. James Andrews on Monday

wow :shock:

The door is wide open for the Nats to kick ass and run away with the division.

Offline Dave301

wow :shock:

The door is wide open for the Nats to kick ass and run away with the division.
Nats need to win this division. No ands, ifs, or buts about it.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Nats need to win this division the World Series. No ands, ifs, or buts about it.

Offline pazzo83

Offline 3bside

Still have the Dodgers and Cardinals.