Author Topic: Shohei “Show Time” Ohtani  (Read 4399 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Shohei “Show Time” Ohtani
« Reply #125: September 16, 2023, 10:43:17 AM »
@JeffFletcherOCR
Shohei Ohtani has cleared out his locker in the #Angels clubhouse.

The Angels say they will have no information on what has happened until tomorrow.

speculation is that he's going to get his TJ surgery done now. He's also been out with an oblique injury since September 3rd.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #126: September 16, 2023, 11:25:00 AM »
That seems like a logical move to do at this time.   I don't know why they are being all weird about how this is coming out.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #127: September 16, 2023, 11:29:21 AM »
Angels front office is a disaster

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #128: September 16, 2023, 12:51:54 PM »
Squandering Trout’s whole career is a hell of an accomplishment

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #129: September 16, 2023, 01:00:45 PM »
Squandering Trout’s whole career is a hell of an accomplishment

Yup.. Trout also trusted the Angels' front office, unfortunately. He could have a decent year next year if he plays for a serious contender (barring injuries)

Online imref

« Reply #130: September 16, 2023, 01:55:12 PM »
Angels announce he’s going to the IL with an oblique strain

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #131: September 16, 2023, 05:43:46 PM »
Trout. Ohtani. Rendon. Who else have they wasted?

Online imref

« Reply #132: September 16, 2023, 08:27:31 PM »
Trout. Ohtani. Rendon. Who else have they wasted?
Pujols?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #133: September 19, 2023, 08:27:00 PM »
He went with a different procedure to reinforce the healthy ligament instead of Tommy John.   Plans to hit only in 2024, and pitch after.

Boy, that is really tough to put a value on what is a worthwhile risk for a whole lot of unknowns.

Online imref

« Reply #134: September 19, 2023, 08:42:33 PM »
So worst case is he’s a top hitter. There will be bidders.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #135: March 21, 2024, 01:34:17 PM »
Oh dear

Online imref

« Reply #136: March 21, 2024, 01:59:12 PM »
"let's go to the Draft Kings sports desk to chat about the implications of gambling in baseball"

Online imref

« Reply #137: March 21, 2024, 06:59:12 PM »
Roberts will never be able to bat Ohtani ahead of Mookie this season.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #138: March 22, 2024, 07:08:19 AM »
I don't get it. It's 2024 and there are so many ways to legally bet on sports. Some pro athletes post their bets and betting results (for other sports, of course) on Twitter. The presence of an illegal bookie here has seemingly three rational explanations:

(1) The translator's second story is true: he was stealing money from Ohtani and needed to use an illegal bookie who wouldn't ask questions or report him to law enforcement
(2) Ohtani was indeed betting on baseball (something nobody has yet alleged btw, even about the translator) and needed to use an illegal bookie who wouldn't report him for this
(3) Either Ohtani or the translator were really worried about taxes and wanted to use an illegal bookie who would not report them to the IRS

Not to get political, but these were both people voluntarily living and working in California so I doubt they have too much of an issue with taxes. Put another way, they had easier ways to reduce their tax burden if that is what they cared about. So #3 is out for me.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #139: March 22, 2024, 07:28:31 AM »
I don't get it. It's 2024 and there are so many ways to legally bet on sports. Some pro athletes post their bets and betting results (for other sports, of course) on Twitter. The presence of an illegal bookie here has seemingly three rational explanations:

(1) The translator's second story is true: he was stealing money from Ohtani and needed to use an illegal bookie who wouldn't ask questions or report him to law enforcement
(2) Ohtani was indeed betting on baseball (something nobody has yet alleged btw, even about the translator) and needed to use an illegal bookie who wouldn't report him for this
(3) Either Ohtani or the translator were really worried about taxes and wanted to use an illegal bookie who would not report them to the IRS

Not to get political, but these were both people voluntarily living and working in California so I doubt they have too much of an issue with taxes. Put another way, they had easier ways to reduce their tax burden if that is what they cared about. So #3 is out for me.

I think 2. No sports book is going to give someone with an interpreter's salary a $4.5 million credit line. I also think baseball learned from the steroid era and is going to do everything they can to cover this up rather than teardown the most popular player in baseball. 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #140: March 22, 2024, 09:44:19 AM »

Sports betting is still illegal in California, so probably not trivial to make legal bets of that size.

He did sign the most blatant state tax avoiding contract in sports history, but that's kind of irrelevant since he can't legally bet in California anyway.

If federal investigators come out that he was betting on baseball, then MLB has to do something as that puts a pretty big cloud on integrity of the game for fans and gamblers.

It's hard to imagine that he'd be that motivated to bet on baseball unless he was involved on some kind of fixing/insider info ring.   I don't see a guy making the money he is and with so much at stake getting sucked into something like that though.

Offline blue911

« Reply #141: March 22, 2024, 06:45:24 PM »
Probably placing bets for Gio’s dad.

Online imref

« Reply #142: March 22, 2024, 07:54:26 PM »
MLB announced they are opening an investigation into the Ohtani affair.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #143: March 25, 2024, 03:34:35 PM »
MLB announced they are opening an investigation into the Ohtani affair.

Dodgers announced that they have hired Pete Rose as their hitting coach...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #144: March 25, 2024, 04:35:21 PM »
Dodgers announced that they have hired Pete Rose as their hitting coach...
Ohtani followed by Betts in the lineup. Was inevitable.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #145: March 25, 2024, 04:50:48 PM »
and he's still a Free Man.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #146: March 25, 2024, 05:59:20 PM »

I like that...  :D

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline Natsinpwc

Online imref

« Reply #149: March 25, 2024, 10:12:38 PM »
So Ohtani says he never bet on baseball......