Author Topic: Bernadina Down; Langerhans up  (Read 981 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Bernadina Down; Langerhans up
« Topic Start: July 11, 2008, 04:36:25 PM »
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/

The era of untimely and reliable out-making known as the Roger Bernadina Experiment ended today when the Nationals announced that Bernadina is heading down to Class AAA Columbus, a swap for OF Ryan Langerhans. Bernadina lasted just less than two weeks in the big leagues, hitting .125 (5-for-40) and striking out 12 times. Even his professed virtues looked shaky. He was caught stealing in both attempts on the basepaths, and from the outfield, several of his throws home sailed off like plastic bags in the wind.

He's only 24, so this is hardly a stamp on Bernadina's future. But right now, he simply isn't ready.

Langerhans you're familiar with. He's already appeared in 23 games with the Nats this season, hitting .200 (6-for-30). I'll get a little more info on this soon, but I'm guessing this means that Willie Harris will keep the CF spot open until Lastings Milledge returns.

Offline ronnynat

Re: Bernadina Down; Langerhans up
« Reply #1: July 11, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »
Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade, but we really had no other option at this point.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: July 11, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »
The only way we can win tonight is if Oswalt sticks himself in the eye with a ballpoint pen while signing autographs before the game. 

Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade, but we really had no other option at this point.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #3: July 11, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »
Langerhans  :roll: More of the same old thing we've seen, but I guess he needs "time to develop"

I for one would have rather seen  :worship:Leonard Davis get the call up

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4: July 11, 2008, 04:53:49 PM »
What a disaster Bernadina is. Nook Logan 2.0, Brandon Watson 3.0. At least Bowden knew it when he said he was "outclassed."

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #5: July 11, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »
I feel bad for Roger -- to work so hard to finally get your shot and in the blink of an eye it's gone -- I was really hoping he'd work out -- I couldn't help but think that if he had gotten that walk off hit last night, it would have made all the difference in the world to his confidence -- maybe he can get things together in Columbus and get another shot ...

Langerhaans is fine in the absence of Millege/Dukes i guess, he's terrific in the outfield and has had some big hits .. hopefully he'll do more of that this time up ...

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #6: July 11, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »
I feel bad for Roger -- to work so hard to finally get your shot and in the blink of an eye it's gone -- I was really hoping he'd work out -- I couldn't help but think that if he had gotten that walk off hit last night, it would have made all the difference in the world to his confidence -- maybe he can get things together in Columbus and get another shot ...

Langerhaans is fine in the absence of Millege/Dukes i guess, he's terrific in the outfield and has had some big hits .. hopefully he'll do more of that this time up ...

It's not over for Roger.  He knows what he needs to work on and he'll get another chance.  Especially in this crappy organization.

I, for one, am not fine with re-calling Langerhans.  It's the same Langerhans/Orrs/Ayalas/WMPs/Flops that make us the worst team in all of baseball.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #7: July 11, 2008, 05:00:23 PM »
It's not over for Roger.  He knows what he needs to work on and he'll get another chance.  Especially in this crappy organization.

I, for one, am not fine with re-calling Langerhans.  It's the same Langerhans/Orrs/Ayalas/WMPs/Flops that make us the worst team in all of baseball.

Yeah, but what's the alternative -- it's only because Dukes/Millege are injured that Bernadina/Langerhans are even here to begin with ...

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #8: July 11, 2008, 05:29:52 PM »
WHY DO WE KEEP CALLING UP THE SAME CRAP?!

Offline blue911

« Reply #9: July 11, 2008, 05:32:58 PM »
Langerhans is like oatmeal. He won't hurt you (good D) but he sure is bland. Why not call up Alex and see if he can go on the DL by Bastille day.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #10: July 11, 2008, 05:56:24 PM »
Langerhans is like oatmeal. He won't hurt you (good D) but he sure is bland. Why not call up Alex and see if he can go on the DL by Bastille day.

rofles ...

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #11: July 11, 2008, 05:57:02 PM »
Langerhans  :roll: More of the same old thing we've seen, but I guess he needs "time to develop"

I for one would have rather seen  :worship:Leonard Davis get the call up

So what's the story with Leonard Davis??

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #12: July 11, 2008, 06:04:09 PM »

So what's the story with Leonard Davis??

Roger Bernadina 2.0, Nook Logan 3.0.

Kidding. I'm not really sure, he seems to have potential for extra-base power. Everyone says he can hit the ball. We'll see.

http://www.ballparkguys.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=41;t=017923;p=

^for a topic about him.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #13: July 11, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
I wish they were more consistent with their demotions after lack of production.

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #14: July 11, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »
At least Langerhans won't cost us runs in the field.  He is a great defensive outfielder.  Now if he could only hit. 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #15: July 11, 2008, 06:34:18 PM »
At least Langerhans won't cost us runs in the field.  He is a great defensive outfielder.  Now if he could only hit. 

He's had some big hits for us ... maybe he'll do more of that ... one could hope ...right??

Offline Hondo

« Reply #16: July 11, 2008, 06:46:51 PM »
Whats Maxwell up to?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #18: July 11, 2008, 06:57:07 PM »

Yeah, but what's the alternative -- it's only because Dukes/Millege are injured that Bernadina/Langerhans are even here to begin with ...

Who cares? I'd rather see someone young and raw than watch peak performance from Langerhans. I just don't expect him to get any better and having seen what he can do. At best he is just filler on the roster. Sorry Ryan but the lack of hitting  is a deal breaker for me.

nospinzone1

« Reply #19: July 11, 2008, 07:04:54 PM »
WHY DO WE KEEP CALLING UP THE SAME CRAP?!

BECAUSE THE NON CRAP ARE ON INJURED RESER VE.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #20: July 11, 2008, 07:13:27 PM »
Who cares? I'd rather see someone young and raw than watch peak performance from Langerhans. I just don't expect him to get any better and having seen what he can do. At best he is just filler on the roster. Sorry Ryan but the lack of hitting  is a deal breaker for me.

Pretty sure that's what Beradina was -- and well -- you see how that worked out ...

nospinzone1

« Reply #21: July 12, 2008, 01:08:51 AM »
IT IS A SHAME. GREAT FIELDER, GREAT RUNN3R. I BELIEVE THE MISTAKE HE MADE WAS TO COME TO THE PLATE AND TRY TO BE BABE RUTH. MAYBE NOW HE WILL REALIZE THAT A COMPACT SWING IS THE THING TO DO. I HOPE WHEN HE COMES BACK HE MAKES IT.