Author Topic: Anti-Washington Post Billboards - anyone seen em?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Those are hilarious!

Don't show Andrew the one with the protesting snowmen, don't give him any bright ideas!   :roll:

Offline kimnat

His mouth is quite accomplished in it's own right!

nospinzone1

HOW DID WE GET OFF THE SERIOUS POST OF MADISON'S. ????

nospinzone1

I AM SORRY FAMILY ABOUT MY OUTBURST BUT THE SUBJECT IS TOO CLOSE TO MY 35 YEARTS AT THE WASHINGTON COMPOST AND THEIR UTTER DISREGARD FOR THE LABOR PEOPLE THAT IN THEIR WAY HELPED TO BE WHAT IT IS .... IT WAS NOT THE PLACE TO PUT NOT GERMANE MATERIAL ON IT.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Newsprint is not necessarily on life support--I run a gauntlet of folks every morning trying to press those Post-ette tabloids on me. (CALSGR is right--you can't read off a laptop while standing in a metro car!) However, those workers probably get paid even less than the protesting employees at the Post. I'm thankful that I only have 5 years before I am eligible for retirement because, by then, they'll probably be outsourcing editorial work to India.

natsfan1a

Yes, and there are plenty of places that are already doing that.

I'm thankful that I only have 5 years before I am eligible for retirement because, by then, they'll probably be outsourcing editorial work to India.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
http://www.washingtonpostunfair.com/

when i got off the train to go to work this morning, the metro station was absolutely tattooed with billboards for this site.  i mean, damn near every billboard in the place was an ad for this site.

Saw them all over the Red Line platform at Metro Centre yesterday when I was going to the Caps match.

Offline CALSGR8

Newsprint is not necessarily on life support--I run a gauntlet of folks every morning trying to press those Post-ette tabloids on me. (CALSGR is right--you can't read off a laptop while standing in a metro car!) However, those workers probably get paid even less than the protesting employees at the Post. I'm thankful that I only have 5 years before I am eligible for retirement because, by then, they'll probably be outsourcing editorial work to India.

I work for an IT company.  The helpdesk for our computers is already in India!

hillnat

This is how capitalism works.  It isnt always pretty but the people with the money run the show.  Would you rather the government ran the post or the help desk?

nospinzone1

YOU CAN MAEK THE SAME ARGUMENT ABOUT PAY AND COMPARISONS ABOUT WHAT ANYONE EARNS. HOWEVER, THEY ARE PROTESTING THE ABUSES OF POWER OF THE POST. THE COMPOST TALKS OUT OF BOTH SIDES OF THEIR MOUTH. ULTRA LIBERAL WITH OTHER PEOPLES LIVES BUT MISERS WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR OWN WORKERS.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
The Post is not ultra liberal. It's on the liberal side of the equation, but it's no more liberal than the Washington Times is  conservative.

I wonder how the pay and benefits at the Post compare to those of the Washington Times?

YOU CAN MAEK THE SAME ARGUMENT ABOUT PAY AND COMPARISONS ABOUT WHAT ANYONE EARNS. HOWEVER, THEY ARE PROTESTING THE ABUSES OF POWER OF THE POST. THE COMPOST TALKS OUT OF BOTH SIDES OF THEIR MOUTH. ULTRA LIBERAL WITH OTHER PEOPLES LIVES BUT MISERS WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR OWN WORKERS.

nospinzone1

NOT GERMANE.....TERGIVERSING THE ISSUE.....THE ISSUE IS THE POST EMPLOYEES, NOT THE TIMES EMPLOYEES.

Offline CALSGR8

It IS Germain because you have to look at the entire INDUSTRY and how they handle these issues.  I'm sure they are not the only newspaper doing this is the point.  I know that doesn't make it right, but it is pertinent to the issue.  Very few companies, unfortunately, buck industry trends.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Something about the union claim didn't add up.  They said the Post was taking their retirement benefit away, one they were paying for themselves.  This doesn't make much sense to me.  If the employees are funding their own retirement, like in a 401(k) plan for example, there'd be no incentive for the Post to terminate the benefit.

Has anybody taken time to figure out what the complaint is about?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I'm not sure what tergiversing means.

I think it's quite germane. And I'm blown away that you seem four square for the union in this case.

NOT GERMANE.....TERGIVERSING THE ISSUE.....THE ISSUE IS THE POST EMPLOYEES, NOT THE TIMES EMPLOYEES.

nospinzone1

It IS Germain because you have to look at the entire INDUSTRY and how they handle these issues.  I'm sure they are not the only newspaper doing this is the point.  I know that doesn't make it right, but it is pertinent to the issue.  Very few companies, unfortunately, buck industry trends.

SINCE 1968????? GIVE ME A BREAK! ALLOW ME TO REPEAT MYSELF.....WHEN THE OLD MAN AND THEN HIS SON IN LAW PHIL DIED SO DID THE SPIRIT OF COOPERATION BETWEEN MANAGEMENT AND THE WAY THEY TREATED THEIR EMPLOYEES. MRS. GRAHAM TOOK OVR, STARTED MESSING AROUND WITH WALL ST. GUYS AND GOT HERSELF TALKED INTO GOING BANANAS IN HER TREATMENT OF THE EMPLOYEES. SO DID NO. ONE SON THE DONALD.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
And Graham took over and, voila, the Post became the most important paper in the country within five years...it's shrunk a lot since those days (I almost want to cry when I pick up a monday Post and can't even get enough paper to feed the cats on)

hillnat

I wonder how much of the workers hard earned money it cost in union dues to decorate the metro system?

Who needs an Off-Topic section? :lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Meh, it's early January...one can only say so much about Dukes spreading brass all over the street with his nine, haw haw ;-)

Who needs an Off-Topic section? :lol:

nospinzone1

And Graham took over and, voila, the Post became the most important paper in the country within five years...it's shrunk a lot since those days (I almost want to cry when I pick up a monday Post and can't even get enough paper to feed the cats on)

NO NO Y NO....THE POST WAS ALREADY THE MOST IMPORTANT IN TOWN. ONLY BECAUSE ONE OF THE THINGS THAT HELPED WAS THAT IT IS A MORNING PAPER AND THE OTHER TWO WERE AFTERNOON. THE POST HAD THE ADVE3RTISING REVENUE TO DEFEAT THE OTHER TWO. NOTHING TO DO WITH MRS. GRAHAM OR THE DONALD.

nospinzone1

I wonder how much of the workers hard earned money it cost in union dues to decorate the metro system?

WHAT ELSE CAN THEY DO IN ORDER TO PRESERVE THEIR JOB S AND THEIR PENSIONS. CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT THE COUNTRY WQOULD HAVE BEEN WITHOUT UNIONS? MIND YOU, I CAN BE JUST AS CRITIVCAL OF UNION LEADERSHIP AND I HAVE WHEN I BELONGED TO UNIONS.

hillnat

Workers of the world unite!!!

nospinzone1

WHY DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT CORPORATIONS ARE TAKING THE JOBS TO THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES? HUMANITARIAN? TRY AGAIN.....CHEAP NON UNION LABOR AND IN SOME CASES LIKE COMMUNIST CHINA CHEAP POLITICAL PRISONERS WORK WITH NO PAY. THE CONDITIONS IN THOSE PLACES WHERE THERE ARE NO UNIONS , WORKING CONDITIONS ARE DEPLORABLE.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES.....YOU WANT CHEAP PRICES....YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

hillnat

But dont forget one small factor. We dont really have unemployment in this country right now. Who is going to make the clothes and tennis shoes?  I am sure we could fire up a few dead factories but not enough to fill supply at any price.  There is a moral price to pay for cheap labor I agree but there isnt much i can do about it. I am sure the expensive shoes are made in indonesia too.  Unless you have a suggestion.