Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Murphy Stehly, 3B  (Read 129 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Follow the Prospects: Murphy Stehly, 3B
« Topic Start: September 02, 2023, 01:43:32 PM »
Born: 9/27/1998 in Carlsbad, CA
Draft: 2022, Washington Nationals, Round: 10, Overall Pick: 291
College: Texas
5'10", 205lbs
B/T: R/R

Promoted to AA Harrisburg on September 1, 2023 after posting .314 / .382 / .424 with 2HRs in 33 games in Wilmington and .394 / .482 / .493 0HR, 7 SB in 23 games at Fredricksburg.

Stats: https://www.milb.com/player/murphy-stehly-693822

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2022/7/18/23269162/murphy-stehly-2022-mlb-draft-washington-nationals-texas-longhorn
A California native, Stehly spent his first two seasons of college baseball playing at Orange Coast College for the late John Altobelli, longtime friends with Texas head coach David Pierce, who was introduced to Stehly while recruiting another Orange Coast College prospect.

“Alto and I talked, and he said, ‘what do you think of my shortstop?’” Pierce said. “I thought he’s a nice player. He goes, ‘I think he can help you.’ I said ‘Mike, I don’t need a shortstop, but you know what? Let’s bring him in with the other player.’ Usually when you bring a player in, you’re bringing him in with an offer and I didn’t have an offer for Murph.”

In the shortened 2020 season, Stehly started 12 games, seven games at second base and five games at third base, batting .256 with three multi-hit games in the season’s final week. The following season, Stehly was a valuable utility player for the Longhorns, starting games at shortstop and designated hitter in addition to playing second base and third base. At the plate, he improved, hitting .294.

In 2022, Stehly profiled as a utility player once again, but he quickly took control of the designated hitter role before filling in for right fielder Austin Todd after Todd suffered a shoulder injury early in the season. Stehly ultimately started all 68 games and was outstanding at the plate, batting .367 with 19 home runs and 61 RBI even though he entered the season with one home run in his previous two seasons at Texas.