Author Topic: College Basketball 23-24  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: College Basketball 23-24
« Reply #25: December 04, 2023, 11:39:53 AM »
at some point, your team and your league need out of conference wins or else you get a 15 seed. Losing head to head to Weber State (OT), URI (road, 4 points decided late), and Vermont (road, meltdown) doesn't help the seeding at the bottom of the bracket, regardless of who is the Ivy champ. Only good wins so far are at Loyola Marymount, Colgate, and a Big South win (Gardner Webb, not top of the league). Still have at Kansas and at Santa Clara on the schedule, along with at Howard, Fairfield and at Quinnipiac, before Ivy play.
Princeton has a win over Rutgers which will help. The Penn win over Villanova probably offset by their losses to UMES and the like.  I think the committee will look at what Princeton did last year and oversees this year.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: December 04, 2023, 12:39:08 PM »
at some point, your team and your league need out of conference wins or else you get a 15 seed. Losing head to head to Weber State (OT), URI (road, 4 points decided late), and Vermont (road, meltdown) doesn't help the seeding at the bottom of the bracket, regardless of who is the Ivy champ. Only good wins so far are at Loyola Marymount, Colgate, and a Big South win (Gardner Webb, not top of the league). Still have at Kansas and at Santa Clara on the schedule, along with at Howard, Fairfield and at Quinnipiac, before Ivy play.

Patriot League has a win  over Penn State, but has been swept by the Ivy League. It's going to be a 16th seed for us this year

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #27: December 04, 2023, 01:41:24 PM »
Patriot League has a win  over Penn State, but has been swept by the Ivy League. It's going to be a 16th seed for us this year
I’m surprised Matt Langel has stayed at Colgate. He must have had some offers.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: December 04, 2023, 09:48:59 PM »
I’m surprised Matt Langel has stayed at Colgate. He must have had some offers.

I don’t see him coaching at a big program. His teams are built around the kind of giant stiffs that decent programs won’t touch. It works in the Patriot league, but we never have the kind of athleticism necessary for an upset in the tournament. He basically has his job for life, which isnt bad. I guess he could get an Ivy League job, but that’s about as high as I see him ascending

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: December 04, 2023, 10:28:49 PM »
I don’t see him coaching at a big program. His teams are built around the kind of giant stiffs that decent programs won’t touch. It works in the Patriot league, but we never have the kind of athleticism necessary for an upset in the tournament. He basically has his job for life, which isnt bad. I guess he could get an Ivy League job, but that’s about as high as I see him ascending
If Penn gives up on Donahue they will no doubt target him.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: December 04, 2023, 10:50:39 PM »
If Penn gives up on Donahue they will no doubt target him.

He be gone yesterday if he was offered that job

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #31: December 11, 2023, 09:58:53 PM »
DMV notable Jelani Williams was at Penn for years but only played one due to multiple knee injuries. His second year at Howard. They played and Penn tonight and he joined his old team for the red and blue post game tradition. Class act and good to see him playing.

https://twitter.com/jtannenwald/status/1734392225474220157

Howard also has Seth Towns who was Ivy League player of the year at Harvard way back when before he suffered some major injuries. He has to like 28. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #32: December 12, 2023, 08:37:06 AM »
DMV notable Jelani Williams was at Penn for years but only played one due to multiple knee injuries. His second year at Howard. They played and Penn tonight and he joined his old team for the red and blue post game tradition. Class act and good to see him playing.

https://twitter.com/jtannenwald/status/1734392225474220157

Howard also has Seth Towns who was Ivy League player of the year at Harvard way back when before he suffered some major injuries. He has to like 28. 
my impression is that Howard competes pretty well for Ivy grads who have remaining eligibility under NCAA rules but not Ivy rules.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: January 14, 2024, 07:15:37 PM »
Maryland beats number 10 Illinois on the road. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: February 10, 2024, 04:42:40 PM »
Cornell and Yale were 2 of the last 3 teams unbeaten in conference play this year. Had a real nice game in New Haven that Yale pulled out after being down as much as 15 in the 1st half. I think they went from 9-8 to 71-70 without lead. Ivies regular season is a 3 team race with Princeton in the mix, none of the teams has won on the road against the others in the top 3, so while Yale has the nominal edge, they need to show on the road next week at the Palestra and at Princeton, then go up to Ithaca the following week. Only 4 teams make the Ivy tournament, so the rest of the league is pretty much scrambling for 1 slot. Yale has a very good big man in Danny Wolf, a 7' sophomore who is a Lou Henson award semi-finalist. He's had double doubles in 7 out of his last 8 games and 10 times on the season.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: February 10, 2024, 05:43:04 PM »
Penn tricked me with the early season win over Villanova.  Their best player (Slajchrrt) has been out but still 1-5 is brutal.  Today at Princeton.  Another loss coming.  Harder for Ivy coaches to lose their jobs but Donahue has been unable to replicate the success he had at Cornell. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: February 10, 2024, 07:00:47 PM »
Penn tricked me with the early season win over Villanova.  Their best player (Slajchrrt) has been out but still 1-5 is brutal.  Today at Princeton.  Another loss coming.  Harder for Ivy coaches to lose their jobs but Donahue has been unable to replicate the success he had at Cornell. 
they really do miss Slajchert. And I did have to check the spelling ;) . Giving Princeton a game. Up at half time. They gave Yale a game too in New Haven. I suspect that's one of those "oh, darn, they got 4th" teams that the top 3 hopes doesn't get to NYC. Right now though it looks like Columbia might be able to get there and play hosting.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #37: February 10, 2024, 07:15:56 PM »
they really do miss Slajchert. And I did have to check the spelling ;) . Giving Princeton a game. Up at half time. They gave Yale a game too in New Haven. I suspect that's one of those "oh, darn, they got 4th" teams that the top 3 hopes doesn't get to NYC. Right now though it looks like Columbia might be able to get there and play hosting.
I’m watching hockey.  If they win I will catch the replay.  Someone has to be fourth place. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #38: February 19, 2024, 08:28:19 PM »
Just turned it on. VT leading UVA 58-30 in the second half.  How is that possible?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #39: February 19, 2024, 10:11:01 PM »
Just turned it on. VT leading UVA 58-30 in the second half.  How is that possible?
75-41 final.  Crazy.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #40: February 25, 2024, 01:57:18 AM »
This is awful: Duke center sustains a knee injury as Wake fans rush the court after the game. It appears that fans intentionally targeted him:
https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/2852337

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #41: February 25, 2024, 07:27:59 AM »
I saw that. I think the ACC needs to bring the hammer down on Wake- bar the from the ACC tournament this year, and make them play more road games next year

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42: February 25, 2024, 10:09:33 AM »
I saw that. I think the ACC needs to bring the hammer down on Wake- bar the from the ACC tournament this year, and make them play more road games next year
certainly lose their home game v Duke for a year or two, plus ineligible for the ACC tournament this year. Also, I think find the perps, prosecute them at least for trespass and battery. I think you can show intentional touching on the guy who ran  out and pointed at him. I'm not sure you can show battery for the guy who hit his knee.

Online GataNats

« Reply #43: February 25, 2024, 11:12:50 PM »
Man, that is weak.  Nothing was intentional.  A bunch of drunk college students enjoying life

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: February 26, 2024, 10:49:27 AM »
Man, that is weak.  Nothing was intentional.  A bunch of drunk college students enjoying life
you have to make it painful for schools to allow that stuff. You can argue about the taunting, but it's the whole rushing the court w/o regard for the players that's the problem.

I was at a college football game (THE Game) when a student got whacked with a goalpost that snapped when fans tried to tear it down. Kid survived, but with a brain injury. They've managed to protect goal posts now.

I hope they can figure out a way to protect the courts. Maybe you make sure no one is standing around the court until after the clock runs out? That way there's a delay as kids get down to the court. Who know

Online Five Banners

« Reply #45: February 26, 2024, 11:57:48 AM »
you have to make it painful for schools to allow that stuff. You can argue about the taunting, but it's the whole rushing the court w/o regard for the players that's the problem.

I was at a college football game (THE Game) when a student got whacked with a goalpost that snapped when fans tried to tear it down. Kid survived, but with a brain injury. They've managed to protect goal posts now.

I hope they can figure out a way to protect the courts. Maybe you make sure no one is standing around the court until after the clock runs out? That way there's a delay as kids get down to the court. Who know

They literally shut down the sport and in-person attendance recently. They can do it anytine they want.   

Remember how people used to rush baseball fields until they didn’t because there was a priority of enforcement?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #46: March 08, 2024, 09:48:42 AM »
CAA and some other conference tournaments are underway. 

Offline imref

« Reply #47: March 08, 2024, 09:59:49 AM »
CAA and some other conference tournaments are underway. 

Radford won their play-in earlier this week and faces top-seed High Point in the start of the Big South tournament at noon today.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #48: March 08, 2024, 10:23:47 AM »
Despite a stellar record looks like JMU will need to win their conference tournament to make the NCAA.

Offline imref

« Reply #49: March 08, 2024, 01:32:35 PM »
Good first half for Radford.

Not so good 2nd half.