Author Topic: Paper Tickets For Ballgames May Soon Be History  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
I'm 37, own a house in DC, and make a pretty decent income, and have no debt...and I don't like using credit cards, period.  Not sure where I fit in your profile.   

Point being, I don't like people being effectively relegated to underclass status because they don't participate in the new world banking order.  Not everyone paying with cash is a bonghead.   

Oh well. 

Scan me please

i too dont have a single credit card. however, im not a reject with my money. for a single 31 female, i will make 6 figures this year, i too make a good "living", i have savings,  dont have a credit card because its my choice, if i cant pay for it, then i dont get it.  its as simple as that. when i was in college a long time ago, i learned really quick what credit cards can do if you dont manage them properly. so its been over 6 years and i dont have a single credit card in my name.

honestly, i am pretty much debt free, except my student loans, and my car payment, but i have no credit card debt. i learned the hard way years ago, and i changed, and i get by just fine!! pretty good actually! :-)

i do have a debit visa thought, and i've had one for the past 10 years or so. ive managed to buy  extreamly  large things, laptop, my nats season tix's....

so its all on how you manage your money.

so, in some ways i can see why people who think other people who dont have credit cards are loosers, but on the other hand i have my money in the bank! and when some says to me, oh you dont have a credit card... its usually a "ahh good for you, you know how much i have on my credit cards... ALOT"  i wish i could live like that...

so its to each's own, when it comes to credit cards.

ok so, i dont think the paperless is the best way now, but not saying it wont be in the future??

so what happens when all the school kids come to the nats game and they cant get in cause they dont have an ID card, DR Lic, or a cell phone... 

its just my two cents, i just see both sides ...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Just wanted to make an additional comment for context.  My wife and I share a total of 2 credit cards, both of which are automatically debited for the full payoff monthly.  So we carry no credit card debt ever, for 20 years now.  The cards are purely for transactional convenience, to minimize cash we have to carry ( and lose via ATM surcharges) and as a strategic backup should we need to carry debt briefly for emergency purposes. 

So my advocacy for the use of credit cards is NOT an advocacy for incurring debt, but really just observing that electronic payment (of any form, really) is faster and more cost effective for all concerned.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
"THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER
FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

Does this really mean you are required to accept it if offered?  Does a person or entity not have the right to specify terms of payment in order for an offer to be accepted?

I think there are good business reasons why cash may not be accepted.  For example, a small-time internet business (say a baseball card dealer) who only wants payment through Pay-pal, so as to make the accounting and banking relationship simpler.  To have to make trips to a bank is time consuming and not useful, so just require Paypal, for example.

I think because a currency is labeled as legal tender, doesn't mean the recipient is forced to accept it to settle a debt.  I have heard of people trying to settle large debts in pennies, and having their efforts rebuffed, so I would think the same principle applies for currency in general.  Perhaps we have a lawyer in the group who could address this thought.

I think Shoeshineboy makes a great point.  You want to be able to take advantage of the efficiencies offered by technology, without excluding others who are unable to take advantage for one reason or another.  But that being said, as a user of the Dulles Toll Road on a daily basis, I do get aggravated by the "coin" people.  Over 75% of toll road users have the EZ Pass or whatever it's called, including myself.  But the remaining 25% are persistent causers of delays, we all have to wait for them to scratch together their coins or bills and wait for change due to their failure to just adopt the simple program.  Do not tell me that 25% of the people are too poor to have a credit card, especially in the Northern Virginia area around the Dulles Toll Road. 

At some point folks should realize that their obstinancy in resisting new technologies comes at a cost to the rest of us.  Inefficiencies, costs, slowdowns will persist as the slow adopters cling to their outmoded tactics.  The trick is try to minimize the impact to ready adopters of the new ways of doing things.  In the end I don't really care if some people pay cash at the toll booth, as long as I don't have to wait behind them.

OK, so I talked to my boyfriend who is a lawyer. He says it's first semester law school contracts, and yes, the parties to a contract can set whatever method of payment they want. As long as the payment method isn't itself prohibited by law, (like payment in the form of endentured servitude--slavery--or sex or something like that), the method of payment can be cash, debit card, credit card, personal check, or some kind of loan or financing like a promissory note on a car, a mortgage on a house, whatever. 

US currency says that it is "legal tender." Clearly, this doesn't mean that it MUST be used in ALL transactions. We know that from every day life, because everyday we pay for goods or services with a check, or credit card, whatever.  It just means that legally it is ONE kind of payment method.

It also doesn't mean that a merchant MUST accept cash as payment, even where a contract clearly sets out a different kind of payment method.  As a practical matter though, most merchants do accept cash, and probably prefer it, because it is really immediate payment, as opposed to a check, which has to clear banks, or a credit card, which also has to clear through banks.

By third year of law school, you get to a class on "commercial paper." This is kind of the law of checks, and other payment systems. But these are also legally recognized by most states as legal methods of payment. Most states have passed something called the Uniform Commercial Code (or UCC), which makes the law of checks pretty standard from state to state.

Any currency is really just a symbol. It's symbolic of a guarantee made by the government that issued it. That guarantee is really a just a promise that the currency itself is worth something. And those promises are tied to politics, economic stability, that kind of thing. So that's why the value of currency fluctuates, and why some forms are more stable than others. 

Anyway (my boyfriend likes to ramble), the answer to the question is that the parties to a contract can agree a particular method of payment if they want.