Author Topic: The uniform debacle  (Read 154 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The uniform debacle
« Topic Start: April 28, 2024, 08:10:09 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40046470/mlb-modify-uniforms-player-complaints-per-memo

Major League Baseball plans to address its uniform fiasco after changes this spring to the standard jerseys and pants led to widespread complaints from players and fans, according to a memo obtained Sunday night by ESPN.

The most prominent modifications include a return to larger lettering on the back of jerseys, remedying mismatched grey tops and bottoms, and addressing the new Nike jersey's propensity to collect sweat, according to the memo distributed to players by the MLB Players Association on Sunday.

The changes, which will happen at the latest by the beginning of the 2025 season, will also include fixes to the pants, widely panned this spring for being see-through.

The union informed players of the coming changes in a letter that placed the blame on Nike and the debut of its Vapor Premier uniform, which was advertised for its superior performance but remains disliked by players.

"This has been entirely a Nike issue," the memo to players said. "At its core, what has happened here is that Nike was innovating something that didn't need to be innovated."

The union also absolved Fanatics, the manufacturer of the uniform that has received the majority of public scorn for the uniform mess, saying the company "recognizes the vital importance of soliciting Player feedback, obtaining Player buy-in and not being afraid to have difficult conversations about jerseys or trading cards. Our hope is that, moving forward, Nike will take a similar approach."

Online English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Re: The uniform debacle
« Reply #1: April 30, 2024, 12:23:27 PM »
'NIke was innovating something that didn't need to be innovated...'  Quite... ;)

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #2: April 30, 2024, 12:32:48 PM »
I couldn’t help continuously noticing how bad the road uniforms look when re-watching the Marlins highlights

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: April 30, 2024, 12:37:44 PM »
'NIke was innovating something that didn't need to be innovated...'  Quite... ;)
Seems like MLB should have tested the new uniforms before deployment?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: April 30, 2024, 01:29:41 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40046470/mlb-modify-uniforms-player-complaints-per-memo

You can tell the MLBPA has a deal with fanatics. The only time you will ever hear anyone talk positively about fanatics quality is if they have business with them

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #5: April 30, 2024, 01:44:29 PM »
You can tell the MLBPA has a deal with fanatics. The only time you will ever hear anyone talk positively about fanatics quality is if they have business with them

Some stuff I got pre-shutdown from them, especially related to Caps and Nats championship gear, has held up quite well, FWIW

Offline machpost

« Reply #6: April 30, 2024, 02:14:23 PM »
I have a few authentic jerseys from over the years, and the quality has been in steady decline. The '06 is noticeably heavier and better put together than the redesigned models from a few years after that. I'm sure there was an effort to make the fabric lighter and more breathable, but they just don't feel like they're as well made. Same with the authentic dugout jackets. I have one from '06 or '07 with the gold-trimmed "NATIONALS" across the chest, and it's so much more substantial than the one I got around 2010 or so that has the curly W on the chest. It's held up better than the newer model as well, and these things have been worn sparingly over the years.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #7: April 30, 2024, 07:04:11 PM »
They're not fixing such an embarrassing oversight until NEXT season?  Good grief.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #8: April 30, 2024, 07:54:19 PM »
They're not fixing such an embarrassing oversight until NEXT season?  Good grief.

Their labor force is already on summer break...the next batch of 6th graders won't be available until September...