Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 25106 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #300: July 08, 2017, 12:19:05 PM »
Linux

I have no idea what that means.     :)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #301: July 08, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »
Contact Microsoft directly, for they should have a record of your prior payment.

I think I'm at the point where I'm going to have to "Activate Windows".    In our last adventure, I had to replace the mother board.    Well, I guess Microsoft doesn't think I have Windows 10.    I had 10 before I changed the MB.      When I go to "Settings", it indicates I don't have a copy of 10 to activate.    I prefer not to pay for it again.     Any suggestions?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #302: July 08, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »
Contact Microsoft directly, for they should have a record of your prior payment.

I was lookin' out under the administrator user and found info.   I found the name, version, OS Build, Product #, etc.     When I checked about activation, it wanted to know if it could download some software.    I'm always leery about such things.    I'm so damn paranoid.   I told the missus that technology just messes with retirement.     Got an e-mail from my credit union that they're gonna change some things on the 18th and I gotta contact them.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #303: July 09, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
I have no idea what that means.     :)

He means that you can download any number of Linux-based operating systems (Linux Mint, Chromium OS, many others) that would operate well on your computer. If all you use your computer for is web browsing, email, spreadsheet and word processing, it'll work fine. If you have Windows based applications that you rely on, it's probably not viable.

If you really did know this and I'm being pedantic, sorry.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #304: July 09, 2017, 04:35:55 PM »
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get to you. If it wants to download from the microsoft website, you're probably okay.

I was lookin' out under the administrator user and found info.   I found the name, version, OS Build, Product #, etc.     When I checked about activation, it wanted to know if it could download some software.    I'm always leery about such things.    I'm so damn paranoid.   I told the missus that technology just messes with retirement.     Got an e-mail from my credit union that they're gonna change some things on the 18th and I gotta contact them.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #305: July 09, 2017, 04:40:53 PM »
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get to you. If it wants to download from the microsoft website, you're probably okay.

Thanks G'burg.     That's what my boy told me as well.   I think I'll give it a go tomorrow from the administrator logon and see what happens.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #306: July 21, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »
Not really a computer problem but the missus is thinking about movin' up (cellphone).    We have Verizon wireless and she's convinced she wants a Google Pixel XL.    I was thinking about upgrading my phone as well.     We'll probably hit the Verizon store and see if we can get 2 for one or some such deal.   At least we'll start the process.    :)       Any thoughts?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #307: July 21, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »
Not really a computer problem but the missus is thinking about movin' up (cellphone).    We have Verizon wireless and she's convinced she wants a Google Pixel XL.    I was thinking about upgrading my phone as well.     We'll probably hit the Verizon store and see if we can get 2 for one or some such deal.   At least we'll start the process.    :)       Any thoughts?

I think deals may have gone the way of the  :old:

Let me know what you find...Sprint sells retail or leases them now...no more plan deals.  They do have some deals online...but not in the stores...

That said...My daughter, SIL and I all have Google Nexus 5X's.  Their two have had to go back for replacement.  I am waiting for mine to go into terminal reboot so they can send me a new one...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #308: July 21, 2017, 04:00:57 PM »
I think deals may have gone the way of the  :old:

:panic:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #309: July 21, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »
The new iPhone will be announced soon, that usually ushers in some deals

Offline mitlen

« Reply #310: July 31, 2017, 04:31:02 PM »
Verizon is ending their e-mail service.    I can't log into it (addresses, old mail, etc.).     None of my stuff went to my AOL account.    Am I toast?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #311: July 31, 2017, 04:55:02 PM »
Verizon is ending their e-mail service.    I can't log into it (addresses, old mail, etc.).     None of my stuff went to my AOL account.    Am I toast?

Did you access it solely online or did you use a mail program like Outlook or Thunderbird?

If it was only online and they've blocked your access, about the only hope would be contacting them to see if there is a different access portal that is staying open for a limited time to let users get their mail. Given VZ customer service, you're quite probably out of luck.

edit: Okay, did a quick search. Verizon is ending their email servers but it looks like they ported all the mail to AOL (which they own). Should just need to update the settings for servers in your mail client. 

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-updating-your-third-party-email-program-or-mobile-device-with-your-new-account-information-pop3 looks like it has the info for you.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #312: July 31, 2017, 04:59:49 PM »
Did you access it solely online or did you use a mail program like Outlook or Thunderbird?

If it was only online and they've blocked your access, about the only hope would be contacting them to see if there is a different access portal that is staying open for a limited time to let users get their mail. Given VZ customer service, you're quite probably out of luck.

That's what I'm afraid of (SOL).    I had my season ticket contact info and the like out there.    I only accessed e-mail through the internet.   I'm really trying to avoid contacting Verizon by phone.    There are all kinds of "problems" with that scenario.    Maybe I'll try contacting them through their website.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #313: July 31, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
That's what I'm afraid of (SOL).    I had my season ticket contact info and the like out there.    I only accessed e-mail through the internet.   I'm really trying to avoid contacting Verizon by phone.    There are all kinds of "problems" with that scenario.    Maybe I'll try contacting them through their website.

Try accessing it here: https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/login.psp?sitedomain=sns.mail.aol.com&seamless=novl&lang=en&locale=US&authLev=0&siteState=uv%3AAOL%7Crt%3ASTD%7Cat%3ASNS%7Clc%3Aen_US%7Cld%3Amail.aol.com%7Csnt%3AScreenName%7Csid%3A8cd45943-2f31-4149-b8fc-2b77f323a194%7Cqp%3A%7C&offerId=newmail-en-us-v2 - again from what I'm reading I -think- you are actually going to be okay.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #314: July 31, 2017, 05:09:03 PM »
Try accessing it here: https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/login.psp?sitedomain=sns.mail.aol.com&seamless=novl&lang=en&locale=US&authLev=0&siteState=uv%3AAOL%7Crt%3ASTD%7Cat%3ASNS%7Clc%3Aen_US%7Cld%3Amail.aol.com%7Csnt%3AScreenName%7Csid%3A8cd45943-2f31-4149-b8fc-2b77f323a194%7Cqp%3A%7C&offerId=newmail-en-us-v2 - again from what I'm reading I -think- you are actually going to be okay.

I have an AOL e-mail account already and am not sure what verifying my info accomplishes.    What are you seeing that makes you feel it'll be good?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #315: July 31, 2017, 05:18:00 PM »
Did you migrate your old Verizon address to AOL?  I did and it has all my old Verizon emails.  I use the Verizon email address as to username and set up a password the first time I logged in.  Have you gone to the AOL site and input the Verizon name there as the user?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #316: July 31, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »
Did you migrate your old Verizon address to AOL?  I did and it has all my old Verizon emails.  I use the Verizon email address as to username and set up a password the first time I logged in.  Have you gone to the AOL site and input the Verizon name there as the user?

I didn't migrate.   I thought it would be done automatically.     My user ID is the same and if I try my old Verizon Password   ...   nothing happens.   Now I can't get into my AOL account on this PC.    I'll try the laptop.    Looks like I'm SOL there as well.   To reset the password, I have to call customer service because they claim they have no info on file.    :smh:     I'm thinkin' about movin' back to my cave.

Restarted the PC and the password came back up ...    I used the old AOL password on the laptop and it worked.    Restart seemed to resolve the problem on the PC.      :shrug:

I go to the Verizon page and get this message:

You can now access your email and up-to-date news at www.aol.com

However, when I log into AOL (using the AOL password, etc.), I get nada about Verizon e-mail.   If I try the Verizon stuff, nothing happens   ...   i.e. error.      When I get the energy and have an attitude adjustment, I'll call Verizon and ask if I can get a contact list recovery.     

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #317: August 01, 2017, 02:46:08 PM »
Heard you can get a sweet @wnff address if you slip the boss man a crisp 50 :lol:

(please note I'm completely joking - email hosting is a nightmare)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #318: August 01, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »
Heard you can get a sweet @wnff address if you slip the boss man a crisp 50 :lol:

(please note I'm completely joking - email hosting is a nightmare)

Does the ink have to be dry?     ;)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #319: August 27, 2017, 02:23:22 PM »

Any Norton experts here?

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #322: August 28, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »

BTT for a Norton expert...

Offline dracnal

« Reply #323: August 28, 2017, 09:49:22 PM »
BTT for a Norton expert...

What is the situation? Will do my best to answer.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #324: August 28, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »
What is the situation? Will do my best to answer.

Will PM you...