Author Topic: Nats most glaring weakness: the closer entrance  (Read 233 times)

Offline Count Walewski

Kyle Finnegan leads the NL in saves. Yet when he enters the game, you could easily mistake it for a middle reliever entering a blowout for mop-up duty.

At other parks, when the closer enters, the entire stadium goes dark, intense music plays, a video montage of the closer striking out many men plays on the big screen, an intimidating hash is displayed on the ribbon monitors, etc. It can be one of the most thrilling and iconic moments in live sports.

I can't remember the Nationals ever doing something like this for a closer. The closest thing was for Todd Coffey. I used to think we just had a string of understated, humble players in the closer role but now I wonder if the organization just has a philosophical opposition to the over-the-top closer entrance. Maybe they've read the sabremetrics about closing not actually being that hard.

Is this something the team should invest in as it returns to contention?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Maybe they don't think they have a powerhouse closer.  You could see on Rosario's Homer tonight that they could darken the stadium for dramatics.

Offline Natsinpwc

Maybe they don't think they have a powerhouse closer.  You could see on Rosario's Homer tonight that they could darken the stadium for dramatics.
Kimbrel is cooked. They will be buying relief help at the deadline. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Some of the new close intros are way over the top. But I agree they could do a bit more for Finnegan.

Offline Natsinpwc

Oh nevermind. Wrong thread.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The one in Minnesota is incredible.

Offline OfftheBat

That's true, I saw Jordan Romano's entrance in the 9th a couple weeks ago in Toronto, it was pretty epic.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Finnegan is a texas boy. Needs a texas themed song. Can keep it when we trade him and Harvey to the Rangers for Jack Leiter

Offline wj73

Saw Trevor Hoffman’s entrance at the Padres years ago. It was the first time I’d ever seen one of those over the top closer entrances. It was incredible.

I was mildly irritated at the Mets game I saw last month at CitiField. We were all set up for a closer situation, but no, the Mets had to score an extra run taking it out of a save situation. I really wanted to hear the crowd go wild with “Narco” when Diaz entered.

Offline imref

Here’s Duran’s

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Very Vegas Knights. I love those intros, especially when the guy gets taken yard.

Hells Bells and Enter Sandman are all that's needed. Not into the light shows.

What is Finnegan's entrance song this year?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

It should be Free Bird...

Offline imref

Edge of Darkness by Great Van Fleet according to the Nats website

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
has he kept that? It's terrific for a closer.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
How about 'The Game Thou Gavest Lord Has Ended' - that'd be different... ;)