Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)  (Read 49183 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2016)
« Reply #200: March 05, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »
JCA - you are showing your New England bias.  The same sort of difference of opinion can be found in barbeque.  I for one will take any barbeque over the NC vinegar based stuff here in OBX.  But I don't tell 2IPAs that - or I might be speaking in a high pitched voice - even without big hands.

only difference is that Chicago appropriated the name "pizza" when that word had previously been applied to a different food.  Maybe it is analogous to the word "pepper."  Crushed peppercorns produce a seasoning called "pepper" that had been used in the old world for a few thousand years.  It is distinct from the chili pepper that had its origin in the Americas.  Nevertheless, Americans call chilis "pepper" because it was thought to be spicy like  pepper.  It is not pepper.  It is a chili.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #201: March 05, 2016, 04:50:28 PM »
only difference is that Chicago appropriated the name "pizza" when that word had previously been applied to a different food.  Maybe it is analogous to the word "pepper."  Crushed peppercorns produce a seasoning called "pepper" that had been used in the old world for a few thousand years.  It is distinct from the chili pepper that had its origin in the Americas.  Nevertheless, Americans call chilis "pepper" because it was thought to be spicy like  pepper.  It is not pepper.  It is a chili.
Arguably, New York appropriated it from the Italians first.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #202: March 07, 2016, 08:41:59 PM »
I have been thinking about your comment, and I think I finally get why I love Thai & Indian cooking (and all other spicy food)...they are the utter triumph of present self over future self.   
I gave up hard liquor a few weeks ago. I miss it so.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #203: March 07, 2016, 08:53:59 PM »
I have been thinking about your comment, and I think I finally get why I love Thai & Indian cooking (and all other spicy food)...they are the utter triumph of present self over future self.   

Why does this remind me of George Harrison?

Online dracnal

« Reply #204: March 08, 2016, 09:27:34 AM »

There is truth and wisdom in what you say... and I -really- want some Thai now. We had a curry chicken last night that was good, but it had really, really non-Thai sides.  That said, what I could -really- go for right now is some nice schwarma and some pickled veg. The -only- thing I miss about living in NW DC was ready access to Lebanese Taverna.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #205: March 08, 2016, 10:29:27 AM »
You see, in order to restore balance among the humors in your body, you must also eat fiber-intense foods.

I suggest my ritual breakfast of bran flakes, organic raspberries, sliced almonds, and skim milk.  Raspberries are one of the fruits and veggies a I care about the pesticides because you eat the skin.  Oranges, OTOH, can be doused with stuff and still have edible fruit.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #206: March 08, 2016, 10:59:58 AM »
Fiber pills are so much easier

You see, in order to restore balance among the humors in your body, you must also eat fiber-intense foods.

I suggest my ritual breakfast of bran flakes, organic raspberries, sliced almonds, and skim milk.  Raspberries are one of the fruits and veggies a I care about the pesticides because of you eat the skin.  Oranges, OTOH, can doused with stuff and still have edible fruit.

• babble on
« Reply #207: March 08, 2016, 01:52:44 PM »
Camel burgers:

EAT THIS: ROCKLANDS BARBEQUE

If you've ever wanted to try camel, now's your chance. Today through March 11, all four locations of Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Companyare serving a special "grills gone wild" menu. Exotic offerings include an alligator brunswick stew, rabbit sausage, wild boar barbecue sliders, and camel burgers. Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Company, multiple locations, rocklands.com.

Alligator Brunswick Stew
served with a honey jalapeño cornbread square

Camel Burgers
topped w/pickles & onions served with French Fries

Rabbit Sausage
topped w/grilled peppers & onions served w/a side of
whiskey mustard sauce & carrot sticks

Wild Boar Barbeque Sliders (2)
topped with coleslaw

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208: March 28, 2016, 08:46:05 PM »
Rainy Monday in Boston, end up freeing up for lunch around 2 PM, so finally try the new Pepe's in Chestnut Hill.  Empty tables, walk in :shock:    When she came to take the order, the waitress asked "is this your first time a Pepe's?"  I just say "No," without explanation.  Order my old standard - small mushroom, pepper, and onion (no mozzarella, just grated cheese - a.k.a red).  Perfect.  Charred thin crust, red and green sweet peppers, white mushroom, and translucent onions over a tomato sauce onto which I shook out some grated pecorino.  I take a vow never to eat at We The Pizza again.  Catch up with my brother visiting my Dad and, after Dad has had dinner and is in bed, my brother wants to hit Pepe's because maybe the line would be small.  I go back again and grab 3 slices of mozzarella pizza with him.  Crust is brown, not charred, so not as flavorful.  Still amazing and beautiful. I only wish Houston was there to take a picture of these pizzas.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #209: March 28, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »
Camel burgers:

EAT THIS: ROCKLANDS BARBEQUE

If you've ever wanted to try camel, now's your chance. Today through March 11, all four locations of Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Companyare serving a special "grills gone wild" menu. Exotic offerings include an alligator brunswick stew, rabbit sausage, wild boar barbecue sliders, and camel burgers. Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Company, multiple locations, rocklands.com.

In St. Augustine there's a jerky shop that has pretty much every meat you can imagine including snake.  We had a sample of kangaroo jerky.  It was hopping good.   :rimshot:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #210: March 29, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »
Rainy Monday in Boston, end up freeing up for lunch around 2 PM, so finally try the new Pepe's in Chestnut Hill.  Empty tables, walk in :shock:    When she came to take the order, the waitress asked "is this your first time a Pepe's?"  I just say "No," without explanation.  Order my old standard - small mushroom, pepper, and onion (no mozzarella, just grated cheese - a.k.a red).  Perfect.  Charred thin crust, red and green sweet peppers, white mushroom, and translucent onions over a tomato sauce onto which I shook out some grated pecorino.  I take a vow never to eat at We The Pizza again.  Catch up with my brother visiting my Dad and, after Dad has had dinner and is in bed, my brother wants to hit Pepe's because maybe the line would be small.  I go back again and grab 3 slices of mozzarella pizza with him.  Crust is brown, not charred, so not as flavorful.  Still amazing and beautiful. I only wish Houston was there to take a picture of these pizzas.

Sooooo jealous!! and hungry!!!!! 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #211: March 29, 2016, 03:03:11 PM »
Sooooo jealous!! and hungry!!!!! 
Agreed, this sounds glorious. Must try ASAP.

On the other hand, I had Pecan Lodge BBQ for lunch today, so I can't be too jealous. 1/2 lb fatty brisket and a link of sausage. No veggies, screw side dishes ;) ;) We were treating some folks from Pennsylvania who hadn't had TX barbecue before...suffice to say I think they felt the ground shake beneath their feet.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #212: March 29, 2016, 03:08:38 PM »
Agreed, this sounds glorious. Must try ASAP.

On the other hand, I had Pecan Lodge BBQ for lunch today, so I can't be too jealous. 1/2 lb fatty brisket and a link of sausage. No veggies, screw side dishes ;) ;) We were treating some folks from Pennsylvania who hadn't had TX barbecue before...suffice to say I think they felt the ground shake beneath their feet.

Oh man I never made it there and now both of my kids have moved out of Texas :( if you do an Orlando trip you need to go to that 4 Rivers Smokehouse and let us know how their brisket compares because I thought it was pretty scrumptious!

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #213: March 29, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »
I smoked a 9lb pork shoulder for about 5 hours with applewood. Simple yellow mustard, apple cider, pepper, and a splash of chili pepper for the brine. Finished it in the oven for about another 5 hours. Turned out great. Tons of leftovers.

Planning to do a chili this week with some dark coco, tomato stew/paste, jalapenos, onions, pepper. Any recs on a pork chili would be much appreciated! The SO doesn't care for verde, so it'll be a tomato base

Offline imref

« Reply #214: March 29, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »
I smoked a 9lb pork shoulder for about 5 hours with applewood. Simple yellow mustard, apple cider, pepper, and a splash of chili pepper for the brine. Finished it in the oven for about another 5 hours. Turned out great. Tons of leftovers.

Planning to do a chili this week with some dark coco, tomato stew/paste, jalapenos, onions, pepper. Any recs on a pork chili would be much appreciated! The SO doesn't care for verde, so it'll be a tomato base

use chorizo.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #215: March 29, 2016, 05:49:06 PM »
use chorizo.

Oh, for sure -- I just have so much left over pork that I figured I'd do a chili (tacos and pulled pork again with the rest of the leftovers)

Online NatNasty

« Reply #216: March 31, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »

Here's a recipe I have for BBQ chili:

1 TBS of Butter
1 TBS of Olive Oil

Melt butter into the olive oil over medium-high heat.

2 Yellow Onions - Chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic - Chopped
1 Jalapeño Pepper - Chopped and Seeds Removed - DON'T RUB YOUR EYES!

Saute' over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent, and then remove the mix from the pot.

Add 1 TBS of olive oil back to the pot.

3 lbs. of Ground Beef or half beef & half sausage (or whatever combination of meats you want to use)

Brown the beef and drain the fat. Then, add in the following ingredients.

2 Fourteen Ounce Cans of Diced Tomatoes
1 Fourteen Ounce Can of Tomatoes With Chile Peppers
2 Cups of Beef Broth
1 Fifteen Ounce Can of Hot Chile Beans
1 Fifteen Ounce Can of Mild Beans
1 1/2 tsp. of Ground Cumin
1 lb. of Smoked Pulled Pork
1 1/2 tsp. of Chile Powder
8 ounces of your Favorite Beer (Secret Ingredient)

Simmer with lid off for 3 to 4 hours, occasionally stirring. Then, add the last two ingredients listed below.

2 ounces of Hershey's Chocolate (Secret Ingredient)
1 1/2 tsp of BBQ rub

Serve with cornbread and your favorite beverage!

• babble on
« Reply #217: March 31, 2016, 02:20:51 PM »
I like the chocolate syrup touch.  My rule of thumb for garlic in recipes is to convert "cloves" to "bulbs" and then double. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #218: March 31, 2016, 02:23:06 PM »
chocolate and coffee are both very underrated in chili

Online NatNasty

« Reply #219: March 31, 2016, 08:39:36 PM »
My rule of thumb for garlic in recipes is to convert "cloves" to "bulbs" and then double.

That sounds like an excellent system. :thumbs:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #220: March 31, 2016, 09:00:26 PM »
That sounds like an excellent system. :thumbs:

Guess I'm old school and boring, I just double whatever the recipe says.  Easy math. 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #221: March 31, 2016, 10:30:29 PM »
Must have stock in garlic - or maybe ag futures

I like the chocolate syrup touch.  My rule of thumb for garlic in recipes is to convert "cloves" to "bulbs" and then double. 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #222: March 31, 2016, 10:31:14 PM »
Not sure that transformation works well as linear

Guess I'm old school and boring, I just double whatever the recipe says.  Easy math. 

Offline imref

« Reply #223: March 31, 2016, 10:51:57 PM »

this is what i like about the electronic pressure cooker, follow the recipe, throw everything in a pot, put on the lid, set the timer, and walk away.  Couldn't be simpler.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #224: April 01, 2016, 08:58:38 PM »
this is what i like about the electronic pressure cooker, follow the recipe, throw everything in a pot, put on the lid, set the timer, and walk away.  Couldn't be simpler.

I was just referring to the garlic ingredient.  But otherwise, no prob.   :lol: