Author Topic: Torii Hunter signs with Angels  (Read 1686 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Torii Hunter signs with Angels
« Topic Start: November 22, 2007, 02:43:14 AM »
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071122&content_id=2306608&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

ANAHEIM -- In a stunning move, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have signed free-agent center fielder Torii Hunter to a five-year deal worth at least $80 million, according to The Associated Press. Terms of the contract were not released, and the agreement is pending a physical.

Hunter, who is a seven-time Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner, is coming off one of the best of his nine full Major League seasons for the Twins.

"We are very excited to have Torii joining our organization," said Angels general manager Tony Reagins. "Not only is he an outstanding ballplayer but he's also an outstanding human being. He'll impact our ballclub and community in a very positive way."

Hunter, 32, batted .287 with 28 homers and a career-high 107 RBIs, playing 160 games. He made the American League All-Star team for the second time in his career and finished 15th in the AL MVP balloting.

The Angels signed Gary Matthews Jr. to a five-year deal last offseason to play center field, and he responded with a solid season before injuries took a late-season toll.

In addition to Hunter and Matthews, the Angels also have Garret Anderson, Vladimir Guerrero, Juan Rivera and Reggie Willits in a loaded outfield. This could factor into another move or two, given the surplus of talent.

Another possibility is Anderson and Guerrero essentially sharing the designated-hitter role, with Matthews swinging back and forth from left to right.

The Angels sent Gold Glove shortstop Orlando Cabrera to the White Sox for starting pitcher Jon Garland on Monday, fueling speculation that they were intensifying their efforts to acquire another hitter -- with the Marlins' Miguel Cabrera at the top of the list.

It was not immediately known how Hunter's signing would impact the Angels' plans to improve their offense. Hunter has the versatility to hit anywhere in the lineup. He had 18 stolen bases in 2007 while putting together a career-best 23-game hitting streak.

A four-sport high school star in Pine Bluff, Ark., Hunter is a .271 career hitter with 192 homers and 711 RBIs in 1,234 games. He is regarded as an upbeat, positive clubhouse presence, and he's widely respected throughout the game for his dedication to the game.

In 21 postseason games with the Twins, Hunter has batted .300 with three homers and eight RBIs.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Re: Torii Hunter signs with Angels
« Reply #1: November 22, 2007, 02:47:02 AM »
One down, two to go.  Well, I guess that was the generic "slugger" the Angels supposedly wanted.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: November 22, 2007, 08:45:11 AM »
wow, that was quick.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: November 22, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »
Setting the bar pretty high for the other two.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #4: November 22, 2007, 11:22:14 AM »
According to the Angels site, the contract is for somewhere between $80 and $90 million...

I never knew Disneyland had a large black community. I think the best think a free agent or potential free agent can do it shut the fek up until he's signed with someone. That way, no one can accuse him of being two-faced. This is more proof that money talks and bullcrap walks. The Angels had the money and Hunter was all bullcrap.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #5: November 22, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
According to the Angels site, the contract is for somewhere between $80 and $90 million...

I never knew Disneyland had a large black community. I think the best think a free agent or potential free agent can do it shut the fek up until he's signed with someone. That way, no one can accuse him of being two-faced. This is more proof that money talks and bullcrap walks. The Angels had the money and Hunter was all bullcrap.

It was all about color but the color was green not black.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #6: November 22, 2007, 02:03:04 PM »
He's getting paid Ichiro money. Ichiro's just a bit (= a lot) more valuable than Hunter. Oh, if we could just get Ichiro...:)

« Reply #7: November 22, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »

Torii Hunter Reaches A Deal With AngelsANAHEIM, Calif. -- Outfielder Torii Hunter and the Los Angeles Angels reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night on a five-year contract thought to be worth $90 million.

"They play the game the right way," Hunter said. "They play hard-nosed baseball."

The agreement is subject to a physical.

The 32-year-old becomes the much-needed hitter the Angels sought to protect Vladimir Guerrero in the batting order. Hunter hit .297 with 28 homers and 107 RBIs for the Minnesota Twins this year and is a seven-time Gold Glove winner.

He finished 15th in AL MVP balloting and was on the AL's All-Star team for the second time in his career.

"We are very excited to have Torii joining our organization," Angels general manager Tony Reagins said in a statement. "Not only is he an outstanding ballplayer but he's also an outstanding human being. He'll impact our ballclub and community in a very positive way."

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Los Angeles Dodgers, Texas Rangers, Chicago White Sox, Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Royals and Washington Nationals were among those interested in Hunter. The newspaper reports that Reagins, the Angels' rookie general manager, called Hunter's agent Larry Reynolds on Tuesday and a deal for Hunter came together quickly.

Hunter

"You're a little surprised, huh?" Reynolds told the newspaper Wednesday night. "It all happened within the last 24 hours."

Said Reagins: "In the past, we said we're going to pursue every opportunity to make our club better. This was an opportunity. I had the support of some people around me, then I got aggressive."

Hunter will join a talented outfield that includes Gary Matthews Jr., Garret Anderson, Guerrero, Juan Rivera and Reggie Willits.

With Guerrero in right and Anderson in left, the move leaves no space in the starting outfield for Matthews Jr. The Angels said the center fielder, who signed a $50 million, five-year deal as a free agent last offseason, could see time at designated hitter and spell the corner outfielders.

Matthews was sent human growth hormone in 2004 from a pharmacy being investigated for illegal distribution of performance-enhancing drugs, The Times Union of Albany, N.Y., reported last winter. Matthews denied using HGH, which was not banned by baseball for players with major league contracts until 2005.

With Hunter gone, the low-budget Twins' attention turns to two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana. His contract expires after the 2008 season, and other teams think Minnesota will make him available if he doesn't agree to an extension.

Hunter said he also had negotiated seriously with the Rangers, but he thought they were a year or two from contending. The White Sox and Royals also were interested.

Staying with the Twins wasn't a real option.

"Sometimes it's time to move on," Hunter said. "Sometimes your welcome is gone."

On Thursday Twins General Manager Bill Smith called Hunter "a consummate professional and a great person."

"We congratulate the entire Hunter family and wish them continued success in the Angels organization," he said.

Hunter recalled when the Angels eliminated his Twins in the 2002 AL playoffs en route to the World Series title.

"I watched the Angels go to work on us. They play the game the right way," he said. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

Hunter added: "Maybe I can do some damage and get about three rings out of this."

According to the Times, the Angels were also in trade talks with the Florida Marlins for Miguel Cabrera, but it wasn't known Wednesday night whether the Angels would still pursue Cabrera.

Reagins has made a splash on the job even before the agreement with Hunter. On Monday, the Angels traded Orlando Cabrera to the White Sox for pitcher Jon Garland.

For his career, Hunter is a .271 hitter with 192 homers and 711 RBIs in 1,234 games.

Information from the Associated Press contributed to this report.

« Reply #9: November 22, 2007, 09:06:21 PM »
Not in my Bible he isn't.  Oh, wait a minute.  We are talking LA ANGELS of Anaheim California....

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #10: November 23, 2007, 12:20:51 AM »
Not in my Bible he isn't.  Oh, wait a minute.  We are talking LA ANGELS of Anaheim California....

United States, North America, Earth, Solar System.... etcetera, etcetera, etcetera....

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #11: November 26, 2007, 04:49:31 PM »
I am very disappointed that Hunter didn't sign with the White Sox -- from all press reports, we were in the drivers' seat on this deal until the Angels suddenly intervened.  But at $90 million?  No thanks.  Ronnynat mentioned this is Ichiro money.  Yes.  Ichiro is one of the few outfielders I would pay that much for.  But Hunter?  No.  Here's hoping the Sox can snag Rowand or Jones for a lot less.