Author Topic: I 95 Traffic  (Read 402 times)

Offline Copecwby20

I 95 Traffic
« Topic Start: October 05, 2012, 10:51:58 AM »
Me: Hey, I got orders to Quantico, anybody ever been stationed out there?

Maj So and So: I was out there for a bit.... enjoy the traffic.

Me: Oh come on Sir, there's no way it can be worse than San Diego during rush hour.

3 years later I realize how epically wrong I was.

Who got stuck on the parking lot that was 95N this morning? Were any of you wearing a BP Nats jersey, driving a camaro? If so, I was secretly jealous as your lane was moving faster than mine as I waited in the far right line to get off at the Quantico exit.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: I 95 Traffic
« Reply #1: October 05, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
DoD and BRAC really messed up on consideration of traffic when they did the base consolidation.  DoD should subsidize VRE in both directions on the Frederickburg line with enough trains so that people can get in and out of Belvoir and Quantico on a regular basis.  Eventually, with a regular schedule, enough people (even non-DoD) would take those lines so they could make a go of it with less of a subsidy. 

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2: October 05, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »
I live down in Fredericksburg on Route 3 almost in King George. Depending on what office I am working in (Client Site or Corporate Site) I don't have to take the 95 except from one exit (Route 17) to the next one (Stafford Airport). I was quite happy when we moved from aboard Quantico to the Tech Pkwy office on 610.

I remember when I was active and had to be at the office by 0730 that if you didn't hit the exit by the Marine Corps Museum before 7 am, you weren't getting to work on time.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #3: October 05, 2012, 11:09:08 AM »
DoD and BRAC really messed up on consideration of traffic when they did the base consolidation.  DoD should subsidize VRE in both directions on the Frederickburg line with enough trains so that people can get in and out of Belvoir and Quantico on a regular basis.  Eventually, with a regular schedule, enough people (even non-DoD) would take those lines so they could make a go of it with less of a subsidy. 

I see you've never enjoyed the assramming known as the VRE Fredericksburg line.  It's gotten better over the years but VRE is underfunded, overcapacity, and on the verge of becoming completely unreliable.  There's really nothing VRE can do except add additional cars and even then you're only talking about maybe another 50-100 people.  Bottom line - live where you work or enjoy the pounding.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: October 05, 2012, 11:16:35 AM »
well, MDS, what I'm saying is add more cars and trains at DoD's expense as part of the BRAC cluster-freak. VRE is underfunded because it is the Virginia legislature that must appropriate funds, and the funds have to survive diversions to whatever developer wants to have a taxpayer subsidy to access his private development so his margins increase. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #5: October 05, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »
I'm with you dude.  The whole BRAC thing is a disaster and whoever is responsible for the Mark Center needs to be forced to watch "thirtysomething" until they're begging for death (two episodes, max).

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: October 05, 2012, 12:21:42 PM »
I live down in Fredericksburg on Route 3 almost in King George. Depending on what office I am working in (Client Site or Corporate Site) I don't have to take the 95 except from one exit (Route 17) to the next one (Stafford Airport). I was quite happy when we moved from aboard Quantico to the Tech Pkwy office on 610.

I remember when I was active and had to be at the office by 0730 that if you didn't hit the exit by the Marine Corps Museum before 7 am, you weren't getting to work on time.

My buddy's in KG Co.    When riding the bike back home from his place, I find RTE 1 to Quantico not as bad as 95.   Takes a little longer but much less stress.    Plus, you can stop at the "Globe and Laurel" for refreshments.   :)

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #7: October 05, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »
I generally stop by the Globe and Laurel once or twice a month just to say hi. My office is right there at QCC. On fridays a bunch of guys sit out on the veranda on the third floor and have a couple beers until the traffic dies down.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #8: October 05, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »
I generally stop by the Globe and Laurel once or twice a month just to say hi. My office is right there at QCC. On fridays a bunch of guys sit out on the veranda on the third floor and have a couple beers until the traffic dies down.

(Image removed from quote.)

Used to go there all the time when it was Fillies.   My buddy and I would meet at East Coast HD and end up there.   Ain't been there since it became the "Globe and Laurel".   I'm an old Army grunt.   Don't know if it's safe.   :P

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: October 05, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »
a few weeks ago i took the train home from NYC.  Left Penn Station at 3PM, arrived at Union at 5:45, drove the 45 miles home and arrived around 8:30PM