Author Topic: Joey Gallo - our lefty power bat  (Read 3187 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Joey Gallo - our lefty power bat
« Reply #75: January 29, 2024, 08:41:56 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/01/29/nationals-joey-gallo-home-runs/

Joey Gallo is aware of how he is perceived across the major leagues: light-tower power, massive strikeout totals, willing to take the occasional walk. He has earned that billing over a nine-year career. But as he gets ready for his first season as a Washington National, the slugger is preparing to rewrite his own narrative.

“I want to be more than that,” said Gallo, who will be playing for his fifth team in the past four seasons. “I don’t really like being known as some strikeout-home run hitter guy, obviously. It’s not really my plan when I was growing up to be considered this three-true-outcome guy. ... But for me, I want to get back to putting the ball in play more.”
Gallo traveled to Oklahoma this offseason to train with former big leaguer Matt Holliday. Gallo felt that he was working the whole field during his best seasons earlier in his career with the Texas Rangers, with whom he made two all-star appearances. But he pulled the ball 57.9 percent of the time a year ago, the most of any season since his first full season. Breaking his habits midseason was difficult, but Gallo hopes an offseason of adjustments will allow him to make more contact without sacrificing his strengths.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #76: January 29, 2024, 11:55:47 PM »
This was my favorite part of the article:
“I don’t look at average, because I’d want to throw up if I do,” joked Gallo, who batted .177 with the Minnesota Twins a year ago, hitting 21 homers in 332 plate appearances to go with 142 strikeouts.

Gallo said he looks at his OPS and his isolated power (ISO), which measures a hitter’s power based on extra-base hits, when judging his success. So despite whiffing at an all-time high, Gallo finished with a .741 OPS and 101 OPS+, just above the major league average because of his high walk rate.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77: February 08, 2024, 09:08:09 AM »
Not just our lefty power bat, but our new glove to love:
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/what-joey-gallo-brings-to-nationals-on-defense

“I love playing outfield,” Gallo said. “It’s obviously the position I won a couple Gold Gloves at. I like being able to bring value with my range and my arm out there. I like to just be athletic.”
“I never was an outfielder my whole life; I played infield,” Gallo said. “So I’m very comfortable at first base, and I thought I was able to do pretty well over there this year with Minnesota. I think having a big first baseman that can pick, make plays for you where you don’t have to worry about, ‘Maybe I throw a ball bad, I want to have a first baseman there that I can trust.’ So that’s what I try to bring at first base for our guys, and I’m excited about that.”
On playing with younger players:
“I had Adrián Beltré, Prince Fielder, Josh Hamilton. I had some very, very good leaders, and I learned a lot from those guys. I feel like I can translate that into helping these young guys that I’m going to have now. I love playing with young guys. They’re always energetic and they just want to play and have fun."

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #78: February 16, 2024, 04:32:55 AM »
So we've signed the kind of guy whose car gets totaled, by the dealership, while in for service...we hope he isn't 'Joey The Jinx'...  :lol:  ;)

Online imref

« Reply #79: March 18, 2024, 08:45:38 PM »
3-31, batting .097 with a .305 OPS after today's 0-4 performance.

At least he didn't strike out today.

I guess Rizzo has to go into the season with him in the lineup given the contract, but for how long?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #80: March 18, 2024, 09:14:58 PM »

I guess Rizzo has to go into the season with him in the lineup given the contract, but for how long?

Too long

Offline GataNats

« Reply #81: March 19, 2024, 02:07:33 AM »
Absolutely no reason to take this guy on the roster

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82: March 19, 2024, 08:29:47 AM »

hope he isn't giving up the power to avoid Ks. the lack of power is the big concern. If those were 3 homers in 31 ABs, I'd say we were getting what we paid for.

Absolutely no reason to take this guy on the roster
Rosario and Winker kind of changed the equation for me. I'd rather see Yepez at 1st.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #83: March 19, 2024, 08:52:14 AM »
You guys could be right but some of you have been following baseball for a long time.  Paying attention to spring training stats is almost always a silly ideas.

I think Ian is right.  He’s paid so he plays.  Just like Nelson Cruz.  Let’s hope he can do OK.  Although a tank seems best.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #84: March 19, 2024, 09:02:10 AM »
hope he isn't giving up the power to avoid Ks. the lack of power is the big concern. If those were 3 homers in 31 ABs, I'd say we were getting what we paid for.
Rosario and Winker kind of changed the equation for me. I'd rather see Yepez at 1st.
The thing with Yepez is that we can play him in Triple A for a month or two, just to see how Gallo does.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #85: March 19, 2024, 09:29:18 AM »
Said it before, I'm fine with him on roster. I'm fine giving him 100 PAs out of the gate. I just don't want a Nelson Cruz situation where it is July, we all know he is awful, and they're trotting him out there every day with some "do right by veterans" line that is never repaid.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #86: March 19, 2024, 09:40:55 AM »
Yes Gallo will be on the OD roster but how long will he remain is the question. I cannot recall a player on a Nats team to receive so much vitriolic comments this early by virtually all the posters on this board. We cannot all be wrong. This by far is the worst FA signing by Rizzo. I would rather have had Dom Smith back. Gallo is worse than KieBUST and is taking AB’s away from Winker.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #87: March 19, 2024, 09:58:09 AM »
Said it before, I'm fine with him on roster. I'm fine giving him 100 PAs out of the gate. I just don't want a Nelson Cruz situation where it is July, we all know he is awful, and they're trotting him out there every day with some "do right by veterans" line that is never repaid.
Why though?  Team is tanking. Would be good to get another top three pick. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #88: March 19, 2024, 09:59:16 AM »
Yes Gallo will be on the OD roster but how long will he remain is the question. I cannot recall a player on a Nats team to receive so much vitriolic comments this early by virtually all the posters on this board. We cannot all be wrong. This by far is the worst FA signing by Rizzo. I would rather have had Dom Smith back. Gallo is worse than KieBUST and is taking AB’s away from Winker.
Again though your conclusions and others are based on meaningless spring training stats. 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #89: March 19, 2024, 10:28:34 AM »
Again though your conclusions and others are based on meaningless spring training stats. 

We shall see. He is no Schwarber. He has been traded in the last  three deadlines.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #90: March 19, 2024, 10:42:24 AM »
Why though?  Team is tanking. Would be good to get another top three pick. 

Because you can still get a nice pick, which of course is still lottery-dependent, without damaging the dynamic of development of the scrappy Nats, also putting out a product that doesn’t contain such a turn off

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #91: March 19, 2024, 11:02:02 AM »
Would be good to get another top three pick.

Rizzo will just freak it up again...

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #92: March 19, 2024, 12:34:50 PM »

Yeah I'd rather have Dom Smith too lmao

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93: March 20, 2024, 10:01:33 AM »
Joey Gallo, introspective at spring training, knows he has a job to do

Spencer Nusbaum, WaPO, who I think will be taking over the beat from Andrew Golden, starts with observing Gallo's 31st AB of the Spring, noting how he's still adjusting after his quad injury, and how Gallo realizes this may be his last shot at the majors:
All of these facts seemed to coalesce in this at-bat on Monday, to the degree that Gallo only took a half-second to look up at a ball he had demolished before his eyes wandered down to the damp dirt on the first base line. A little more wind or a slightly lower launch angle would have taken it over the fence. He seemed to know how it would end before anyone else: the ball landed in Houston Astros center fielder Jacob Melton’s glove on the warning track. It dropped his spring average to .097. Entering Wednesday, he’s 3-for-31 with 14 strikeouts and zero homers.

Article goes into a lot of his reflections on what he tries to do in the spring (refine and adjust), his realization that his performance has slipped since his trade to the NYY in 2021, how it is serious business playing, and how he is enjoying the clubhouse (locker near vets Thomas, Vargas, and Senzel). Recognizes its his worst hitting spring so far, and that spring work is important to getting his approach right.

Back to his hitting:
Gallo trained with former major leaguer Matt Holliday in Oklahoma this offseason. Though he doesn’t dive into the tweaks because he “doesn’t want people breaking down every little thing he does,” he indicated that he isn’t trying to overhaul his game. He said he’s trying to stay a little more directional to the middle of the field and slightly curb his pull-hitting tendencies. Since he became a full-time starter in 2017, no player in the big leagues has had a higher percentage of their at-bats end in one of the three true outcomes (walk, strikeout, home run), per TruMedia. He hopes he can find his swing without sacrificing power in Washington.

Davey:Two hard-hit balls and four strikeout-free at-bats on Monday signaled a step in the right direction, but was a low bar to clear. He and Nationals Manager Dave Martinez acknowledged he’s a streaky player. But they want him to find his form and plan for him to play first base every day, — Joey Meneses will get the bulk of at-bats at DH — hoping to keep Gallo’s confidence high. (That’s a slight shift from the offseason plan to stick the two-time Gold Glove outfielder in the outfield, but everyday play nevertheless.)[/quote]

I will take normal Gallo and hope the quad doesn't cascade into messing up his power.

Online imref

« Reply #94: March 30, 2024, 05:30:15 PM »
0-6, 5Ks, how long of a rope does Davey give him?

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #95: March 30, 2024, 06:29:01 PM »
6 Ks in 8 at bats, on top of 16 in 39 ABs in spring training.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #96: March 30, 2024, 07:02:24 PM »
I think they have to give him 100 ABs. But I don’t think think he deserves more than that.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #97: March 30, 2024, 07:41:35 PM »
I think they have to give him 100 ABs. But I don’t think think he deserves more than that.

Then trade Gallo to the Marlins for Dom Smith.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: March 30, 2024, 08:05:50 PM »
no problem with Gallo's D.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #99: March 31, 2024, 08:39:09 AM »

Do you mean Josh Bell as Smith is on a minor league deal with Tampa