Author Topic: MLB To Take Over Dodgers' Financial Operations  (Read 3159 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I wonder if MLB will give the Dodgers the same treatment they gave the Expos and Nats.  I hope not for the sake of their fans.

On the other hand, if MLB screwed us over so badly, why shouldn't they screw them over?  Maybe that's a bit vindictive, but MLB set this franchise back ten years and aided in the rebuilding and restocking of pretty much all the other teams - why should it be any different for another team?
I think when they acquired the Expos (to allow Loria to pick up the Marlins so Henry could buy the Red Sox), the hope was they would be able to eliminate the team.  Thus, the short term dealing (the Colon trade) and allowing Loria to take whatever scouting / front office pieces with him he wanted.  I don't think that is the intent with the Dodgers.  The unforgiveable thing they did with Expos in my mind was not so much the Colon trade (which was just stupid short term thinking) but the failure to allow the team to offer arb to its free agents like Vladi.

By the way, if any Nats fan hates the Red Sox because of the Henry - Loria deal in 2002, I think he or she would be jusitified.  I suppose Loria would have found a way to get cheap with this team and destroy it, but the whole 3 franchise manuever is enough to say the Red Sox helped stick a knife in.