Author Topic: Lineup and Batting Order: Arranging the Titanic's Deck Chairs  (Read 1590 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Reading those names as our starting lineup is a stark reminder of just how far the roster has fallen in such a short time...

I'm not sure how you get this. Gallo is bumbling around in the minors. Rosario is hitting. Lipscomb has won 3B from Senzel. Young is the starting CF. Garcia is hitting, fielding, and running the bases like a serious ballplayer. Who has fallen? Thomas is hurt, but Nats are winning games.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Pretty good case to be made that Senzel shouldn't be playing against RHP (.588 OPS vs RHP versus 1.154 vs LHP).

Online GataNats

After last nights disappointing outcome and the three main culprits roster changes need to be made before the season devolves into a nightmare. Meneses needs to be sent down and I can’t believe I’m saying this but Gallo should take his place. Winker does not need to start and the OF should be Young Robles and Rosario ( who is finally starting to hit). The hardest decision is who DH’s and Senzel should be replaced by Ruiz / Adams with Millas being brought up.

lol.  Winker does not need to be starting?   You are insane

Offline aspenbubba

We will see if his slump continues

Online IanRubbish

We will see if his slump continues

We're getting a lot of streaks and slumps from the one year contract veterans like Senzel, Rosario, and Winker.  And just a slump from Gallo.  They play up when you don't expect it, and vice versa.

Offline imref

Gallo hit a home run the other night in Rochester, he should be back pretty soon. It will be interesting to see if that's the end of the line for Meneses.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Gallo hit a home run the other night in Rochester, he should be back pretty soon. It will be interesting to see if that's the end of the line for Meneses.
lipscomb.

Listening to Davey pregame talk about they want Gallo to get as many at bats as he can in AAA, then he said sort of if he's ready then he'll be up. Sounded to me like this is more or less spring training and batting practice for him until they can't keep him on rehab.

Offline aspenbubba

4 for his last 22.  Last hit was Tuesday.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
4 for his last 20. Last hit was Tuesday.
I don't mess with a guy over a 4 for 20.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

When Wood is up and Lane returns we should see this:

CF Young
SS Abrams
2B Garcia
RF Thomas
LF Wood
DH Winker or Rosario
1B Gallo or Meneses
C Ruiz or Adams
3B Lipscomb or Senzel

Offline aspenbubba

He is 5 for 41 since 4/28. For the month of May he is batting .147  with a .551 OPS.

You want to tell me about Rosario in May? 

Offline Natsinpwc

It’s almost like hitters have hit and cold streaks. Winker was a very good hitter 2017-21 but fell off significantly the past two years. Hard to tell what he will do next but would not get my hopes up. Rosario has generally been a slightly above average hitter but he’s older so could be cooked. Hope they get hot and you can trade them. Bring on the youngins later this year.

Offline imref

i'd love to see this starting...say tonight:

1. Abrams - SS
2. Garcia - 2B
3. Wood - RF
4. Gallo - 1B
5. Rosario - DH
6. Winker - LF
7. Millas - C
8. Lipscomb - 3B
9. Young - CF

Bench: Ruiz, Vargas, Robles, Adams (obviously one of those catchers probably needs to go), This would mean jettisoning Nunez, Meneses, and Senzel

Offline aspenbubba

i'd love to see this starting...say tonight:

1. Abrams - SS
2. Garcia - 2B
3. Wood - RF
4. Gallo - 1B
5. Rosario - DH
6. Winker - LF
7. Millas - C
8. Lipscomb - 3B
9. Young - CF

Bench: Abrams, Ruiz, Vargas, Robles, Adams (obviously one of those catchers probably needs to go), This would mean jettisoning Nunez, Meneses, and Senzel

You have Abrams starting and on the bench. Was he cloned?

Offline imref

You have Abrams starting and on the bench. Was he cloned?
adams, not abrams, fixed above.

Offline imref

davey going with Abrams leading off and Young in the #2 spot today.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
davey going with Abrams leading off and Young in the #2 spot today.
I think it is worth a shot. Leading off Sunday was his best game in a while, although he also hit well Saturday at #2.

In theory, your two best hitters over all should be #2 and #4 in a saber optimized lineup, then the leadoff. Knowing Davey's addiction to L-R-L-R... balance, as well as maybe CJ having trouble adjusting to hitting second, might be worth trying the little flip. I just don't think Young is modern #2. That's for Trout, Tatis, Soto, Ohtani, Witt, Rutschman, Seager . . .I'm literally pulling names off of a list of the guys with the  PAs at #2 this year, except Trout, who has been hurt.
https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&season=2024&season1=2024&ind=0&type=8&month=49&sortcol=3&sortdir=default&pagenum=1

You'd have wanted CJ to take to it, but his head has been off since 4/24.

Eddie "Mr. May" Rosario moving up the #3, and Luis G down to #5.

L-R-L-R-L-R(Senzel) before Rs the rest of the way.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
L-R-L-R-L-R...

Reminds me of a Three Stooges skit...

Offline Senatorswin

I heard Carpenter talking about it yesterday so I looked it up. Trey Lipscomb is a beast on the road but stinks at home. Do you bat him at the top of the order on the road and at the bottom at home?

At home:

Avg - .122
OBP - .200
Slugging .122
OPS - .322

On The Road

Avg - .349
OBP - .425
Slugging - .413
OPS - .837

Offline Five Banners

I heard Carpenter talking about it yesterday so I looked it up. Trey Lipscomb is a beast on the road but stinks at home. Do you bat him at the top of the order on the road and at the bottom at home?

At home:

Avg - .122
OBP - .200
Slugging .122
OPS - .322

On The Road

Avg - .349
OBP - .425
Slugging - .413
OPS - .837

You have him start to drink from the waters of the mighty Anacostia to become acclimated

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

At home:

Avg - .122
OBP - .200
Slugging .122
OPS - .322

On The Road

Avg - .349
OBP - .425
Slugging - .413
OPS - .837
Kinda feel like this is a small sample size

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

At home:

Avg - .122
OBP - .200
Slugging .122
OPS - .322

On The Road

Avg - .349
OBP - .425
Slugging - .413
OPS - .837
that kind of screams small samples issues. his true talent is between the extremes.

Offline imref

Nunez is getting a start today. This seems like a "who gives a **" lineup from davey

Young CF
Senzel 3B
Vargas LF
Meneses 1B
Ruiz DH
Adams C
Lipscomb 2B
Robles RF
Nunez SS

Corbin P

Offline Senatorswin

that kind of screams small samples issues. his true talent is between the extremes.

About 45 plate appearances at home and about 70 plate appearances on the road. Obviously he's somewhere between a .122 hitter with an OPS of .322 and a .349 hitter with an OPS of .837.

But it could be an indication of feeling more pressure to succeed before the home crowd. Which would possibly necessitate the decision to bat him in different positions in the order at home vs on the road until he feels more established and settles down.

Offline aspenbubba

Robles sitting again tonite. It looks like he is done and they are awaiting Thomas return to release him.