Author Topic: Verizon removes MASN from some packages  (Read 286 times)

Offline machpost

Re: Verizon removes MASN from some packages
« Reply #1: May 10, 2024, 07:56:12 AM »
Sucks for those who have to upgrade to continue watching, but I'm just glad they haven't dropped it. My previous cable provider RCN dropped MASN back in 2019 and there's no sign it'll ever be back. I just love how everyone is trying to make it harder to watch the games, instead of easier.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: May 10, 2024, 08:23:07 AM »
I think i have the More package so am good.

I don't know if I've posted about a FIOS f'up on my package that recently was fixed. I had a nice legacy package up to 2 or 3 years ago, when I somehow dealt with customer service and they convinced me to modernize the package, drop the landline, and save a bit of money. At any rate, when the change went through, I lost a lot of sports networks, including most of the league channels - NHL, NBA, and MLB in particular. I think I chatted with customer service and they talked to me about MLB.TV, which I had as an SPH, didn't need, and doesn't have MLB Network. The dude just didn't understand and i gave up. Last year, at the start of the year, I was going to break down and ask about how to add M:B Network, but they tried to sell me a bigger package of upgrades I will guess they were trying to sell me the More package, not realizing I had it . About a week ago, I chatted yet again, asking about the cheapest way to add MLB Network, which was still blocked on my TV. The service guy opened my account to find out what exactly was my service level, and he said, "you have the More package so you should have MLB Network already." I said it had been blacked out as recently as that morning, but flipped the TV back on and I had it as well as the NHL and NFL networks (I think NBA is not part of the package, and I don't care about it).  3 or so years with a channel I was paying for blacked out because the customer service folks didn't know the channels on their product.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: May 10, 2024, 08:30:39 AM »
I think i have the More package so am good.

I don't know if I've posted about a FIOS f'up on my package that recently was fixed. I had a nice legacy package up to 2 or 3 years ago, when I somehow dealt with customer service and they convinced me to modernize the package, drop the landline, and save a bit of money. At any rate, when the change went through, I lost a lot of sports networks, including most of the league channels - NHL, NBA, and MLB in particular. I think I chatted with customer service and they talked to me about MLB.TV, which I had as an SPH, didn't need, and doesn't have MLB Network. The dude just didn't understand and i gave up. Last year, at the start of the year, I was going to break down and ask about how to add M:B Network, but they tried to sell me a bigger package of upgrades I will guess they were trying to sell me the More package, not realizing I had it . About a week ago, I chatted yet again, asking about the cheapest way to add MLB Network, which was still blocked on my TV. The service guy opened my account to find out what exactly was my service level, and he said, "you have the More package so you should have MLB Network already." I said it had been blacked out as recently as that morning, but flipped the TV back on and I had it as well as the NHL and NFL networks (I think NBA is not part of the package, and I don't care about it).  3 or so years with a channel I was paying for blacked out because the customer service folks didn't know the channels on their product.

And they wonder why people prefer youtubetv

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #4: May 10, 2024, 10:56:10 AM »
And they wonder why people prefer youtubetv
I doubt Verizon cares much about their TV business any more.  It's a low margin/declining business, and they stopped promoting it a while ago.

I would guess the Xfinity move of MASN to a higher tier triggered a clause that allowed Verizon to do the same.   This is probably going to be a pretty big blow to MASN revenue going forward.   

Hopefully next year is the year that there is some kind of standalone access to Nats games.  It seems likely they'll be in the package MLB has in mind, but that might require some resolution of the Bally's sports net mess.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: May 10, 2024, 11:02:47 AM »
I doubt Verizon cares much about their TV business any more.  It's a low margin/declining business, and they stopped promoting it a while ago.

I would guess the Xfinity move of MASN to a higher tier triggered a clause that allowed Verizon to do the same.   This is probably going to be a pretty big blow to MASN revenue going forward.   

Hopefully next year is the year that there is some kind of standalone access to Nats games.  It seems likely they'll be in the package MLB has in mind, but that might require some resolution of the Bally's sports net mess.

I’m convinced that baseball is totally fine with so many people unable to watch local teams. If NBA or NFL team were this hard to watch, the leagues would be panicking and doing everything they could to get them on streaming, broadcast or basic cable. The MLB has plans to maybe do something in a few years

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #6: May 10, 2024, 01:54:00 PM »
Spectrum in NYC has Yes (Yankees), SNY (Mets). They also carry Rangers and Knicks (MSG) and the other "minor" sports on, I think, SNY. We gave up cable-TV last year because the bill was running about $130 a month.

Is that what people have been paying for Comcast?

(I have the Nats on MLB.TV, which also gives me Washington's minor league teams. )

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #7: May 10, 2024, 06:47:18 PM »
Spectrum in NYC has Yes (Yankees), SNY (Mets). They also carry Rangers and Knicks (MSG) and the other "minor" sports on, I think, SNY. We gave up cable-TV last year because the bill was running about $130 a month.

Is that what people have been paying for Comcast?

(I have the Nats on MLB.TV, which also gives me Washington's minor league teams. )

CATV, landline phone and internet runs us $290.00/month...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: May 10, 2024, 06:48:15 PM »
CATV, landline phone and internet runs us $290.00/month...
I’m at about $200 including a dvr and extra box.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #9: May 10, 2024, 06:50:43 PM »
I’m at about $200 including a dvr and extra box.

We have 6 boxes...