Author Topic: Tex and the Nats...  (Read 140541 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Tex and the Nats...
« Reply #50: November 08, 2008, 11:44:43 PM »
If we sign Texiera, do we lose pick #9b?

According to rules, the first 15 picks in the draft cannot be lost via compensation, so a team that is in that rank would give up their second round pick. So it would appear that any type A free agent signings would not cost the first round picks, but start in the second round.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #51: November 09, 2008, 12:20:59 AM »
Okay that's cool with me, thanks for the info

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #52: November 09, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »
Of course, they changed the rules last year about being able to get another pick if you don't sign your draft choice, so we get the extra one for Crowe. I haven't seen anything that explains whether that pick comes into play one way or another (i.e. is that a losable pick, and probably more significantly, does that count as one of the top 15 or do they add to it?) IOW, before last year, if you were the 15th worst team, you couldn't lose your 15th pick overall by signing a Type-A FA. With the Nats getting a 9B for not signing Crowe, is the 15th pick now exposed, or are they still protected. I was assuming they were all protected. But it remains to be seen how they handle this. I expect that the Farm Authority site will cover this as the FA signing period goes forward.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #53: November 09, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »
I'd trade that pick for Tex.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #54: November 09, 2008, 09:33:52 PM »
I'd trade that pick for Tex.

You can't trade draft picks

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #55: November 10, 2008, 12:03:41 AM »
I think he meant if you sign Tex you lose a draft pick, and that would be worth it. I agree.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #56: November 10, 2008, 12:58:11 AM »
I think he meant if you sign Tex you lose a draft pick, and that would be worth it. I agree.
yep

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #57: November 10, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
yep

Then I would agree as well. In fact, I would probably trade all of them. :)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #58: November 10, 2008, 07:16:01 PM »
Don't think I'd go that far but a first round pick for a perennial all-star, proven top 10 position player in baseball vs. someone who shows high-end potential is an easy

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #59: November 10, 2008, 07:22:18 PM »
Don't think I'd go that far but a first round pick for a perennial all-star, proven top 10 position player in baseball vs. someone who shows high-end potential is an easy

In this case though, it wouldn't even cost the first rounder since the Nats were in the bottom 15. The Cubs only gave the Nats a 2nd rounder for Soriano, because they were in the bottom 15 after 2006. Signing the right type A FA and doing it when you still get to keep high first round picks is good timing.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #60: November 10, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »
Right, I know, I'm just saying, if that were the case, I think it would still be worth it.  Since it's not, it's even better.

MrMadison

« Reply #61: November 10, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »
http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=8291

Mark Teixeira (10.8): The switch-hitting first baseman turned down an eight-year, $140 million offer from the Rangers in 2007, so they traded him to the Braves, who in turn dealt him to the Angels this past season. Teixeira would be the most logical fit for the Angels and the Red Sox, and the Yankees also have at least some degree of interest. The one team that seems ready to blow Teixeira out of the water is the Nationals, who could go as high as 10 years and $200 million after a season in which they lost 102 games and had poor attendance in their new Nationals Park. Teixeira grew up in Maryland, and the gut feeling is that he won’t say no to a big-money offer from DC

there's your second source with specific numbers.

omg, this just might happen........

MAKE THE OFFER!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #62: November 10, 2008, 09:59:51 PM »
http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=8291

there's your second source with specific numbers.

omg, this just might happen........

MAKE THE OFFER!

That'd be freaking fantastic, but I have a feeling that if we offer that much, the O's will match it and he'll go there. That's the team his dad still follows and that was his favorite team growing up. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #63: November 10, 2008, 10:04:27 PM »
That'd be freaking fantastic, but I have a feeling that if we offer that much, the O's will match it and he'll go there. That's the team his dad still follows and that was his favorite team growing up. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Oh oh, that should make hammondsnats and y not? happy.  :?

« Reply #64: November 10, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »
Oh oh, that should make hammondsnats and y not? happy.  :?

Yeah, but the O's? What would Tex get them? Only in front of the Jays while the Rays, Sox, and Yanks battle it out for the top of the divsion? :rofl:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #65: November 10, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »
Yeah I really can't imagine the O's tossing their dick on the table just to one-up us.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #66: November 10, 2008, 10:55:21 PM »
Yeah I really can't imagine the O's tossing their dick on the table just to one-up us.

They've wanted to get him for a while. They still don't have a first baseman.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #67: November 10, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »
They've wanted to get him for a while. They still don't have a first baseman.

True but we KNOW Angelos' track record.  I just don't see it happening.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #68: November 10, 2008, 11:13:21 PM »
True but we KNOW Angelos' track record.  I just don't see it happening.

Really, it's not even about angelos -- it would be more about mcphail ... he's got the Os in the rebuilding/develop the farm mode -- I think they'll make an offer -- but I really don't see them trying to outbid anyone ... just my 2 cents ....

Offline The Chief

« Reply #69: November 10, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
Really, it's not even about angelos -- it would be more about mcphail ... he's got the Os in the rebuilding/develop the farm mode -- I think they'll make an offer -- but I really don't see them trying to outbid anyone ... just my 2 cents ....

You could've said anything and I'd probably believe you, I just went with the easiest rationale because I don't know anything about it, and I don't want the O's to get Tex if we don't :lol:

« Reply #70: November 11, 2008, 04:33:15 AM »
The O's are going to have the same problem with landing Tex as the Nats (even if they offer up more or just as much as the Nats) in can they be competitive?

Tex is 28 years old (Jesus, the guy is only five months older than me :shock:) and is going to be having his prime baseball years ahead of him. Is he going to want to spend them on rebuilding team? Yeah, the O's might have his "home territory" but they have little else to bargain.

The Nationals have a brand new stadium, a ripe fanbase looking for a Deliverer, and a division pretty much up for grabs. I don't believe for a second the Phils will repeat next year and if either the Braves, Nats, or Fish were even half-ass competitive last season, the Phils might not even had made it. The Mets are a joke. In the AL East there is virtually zero chance the O's will be getting anywhere in what? The next decade or two?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #71: November 11, 2008, 08:48:41 AM »
I like it when people who know more things are on my side :thumbs: :panic:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #72: November 11, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »

I do believe that is the first time I have ever seen you use profanity.  You must be excited about this.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #73: November 11, 2008, 09:15:45 AM »
I like it when people who know more things are on my side :thumbs: :panic:
This is an awesome post

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #74: November 11, 2008, 10:25:26 AM »
The O's are going to have the same problem with landing Tex as the Nats (even if they offer up more or just as much as the Nats) in can they be competitive?

Tex is 28 years old (Jesus, the guy is only five months older than me :shock:) and is going to be having his prime baseball years ahead of him. Is he going to want to spend them on rebuilding team? Yeah, the O's might have his "home territory" but they have little else to bargain.

The Nationals have a brand new stadium, a ripe fanbase looking for a Deliverer, and a division pretty much up for grabs. I don't believe for a second the Phils will repeat next year and if either the Braves, Nats, or Fish were even half-ass competitive last season, the Phils might not even had made it. The Mets are a joke. In the AL East there is virtually zero chance the O's will be getting anywhere in what? The next decade or two?

Couldn't agree more. It comes down to this: if Tex wants to play for third or fourth place each year, he should go to the O's. If he wants a chance to go to the playoffs, Washington is the place for him. The road is alot easier in the NL East.