Author Topic: Nats lock up Ruiz  (Read 5336 times)

Online DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
Re: Nats lock up Ruiz
« Reply #125: August 17, 2023, 05:50:28 PM »
Go to an Eagles game wearing a Washington jersey.

Since it's story time in this thread (a happy digression tbh), I've been in two altercations in my life at professional sporting events and they were both in Philly. One was at an Eagles game and the other at a Flyers game believe it or not. I destroyed the guy on both occasions, but the second situation pretty much ended my dalliances with going to opposing stadiums heavily clad in DC sports paraphernalia. Just not really worth it all things considered.

I have been to multiple Nats games at Truist over the past couple of seasons, but that's really just because I have family in the area that are Braves fans and obviously the fan dynamic is pretty different in Atlanta versus Philly.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #126: August 17, 2023, 09:18:27 PM »
Back to Ruiz, I'm very happy to see him heating up at the plate.  I'm really hoping to see him develop into a guy who pushes an 800 OPS and can be an adequate defensive catcher.  I think he has that ceiling.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #127: August 21, 2023, 06:34:57 PM »
I really see Ruiz as the DH. He strikes out less than anyone in MLB except for one other player according to one of the commentators on last nites game in Williamsport. He seems to do better at the plate when DHing and his defense is very suspect.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #128: August 22, 2023, 10:27:34 AM »
There's an article in MLB.COM about 10 players tearing it up in the second half. Ruiz is tied for third best:

"3-T. Keibert Ruiz, Nationals: +95 points
After putting up a .673 OPS in his first full season with Washington, Ruiz mustered just a .226/.279/.360 slash in the first half of 2023. But since the break, the 25-year-old has looked every bit like the franchise catcher the Nats hoped he’d become when they acquired him from the Dodgers as part of the trade return for Trea Turner and Max Scherzer in 2021. Ruiz has recorded a .336/.402/.566 line with six homers and more walks (12) than strikeouts (11) in the second half, raising his overall OPS to .734."

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #129: August 22, 2023, 10:48:50 AM »
for a long time at the start of the year, he was one of the biggest underperformers of his statcast-based expected batting average, slugging, and weighted on base average (xBA, xSLG, and xwOBA). It looks like he's now performing closer to those expected stats.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #130: August 22, 2023, 12:06:18 PM »
for a long time at the start of the year, he was one of the biggest underperformers of his statcast-based expected batting average, slugging, and weighted on base average (xBA, xSLG, and xwOBA). It looks like he's now performing closer to those expected stats.

I'm more concerned about his defensive skills not his bat. Millas is probably better and I have no clue about Adams.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #131: August 22, 2023, 01:33:47 PM »
He apparently built up lots of good karma during that time.

Offline catocony

« Reply #132: August 22, 2023, 04:21:45 PM »
I'm more concerned about his defensive skills not his bat. Millas is probably better and I have no clue about Adams.
Rookie Monster Alert!!!!  Millas has never taken a swing or caught a pitch at the Major League level and he's inked in as better than Ruiz?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #133: August 22, 2023, 04:28:28 PM »
Rookie Monster Alert!!!!  Millas has never taken a swing or caught a pitch at the Major League level and he's inked in as better than Ruiz?
Defensively? Yes.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134: August 22, 2023, 04:33:13 PM »
Defensively? Yes.
relative to Ruiz, likely. Relatively to an Inanimate Carbon Rod? less clear. Depends on how thin the rod is.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #135: September 13, 2023, 12:28:41 PM »
Ruiz is mentioned in this article:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38335229/florida-legislator-says-bears-dt-gervon-dexter-nil-deal-violated-law

The company signed deals in which they get 15% of future earnings in exchange for a one-time lump sum payment. Hopefully Ruiz didn't sign that kind of deal.

Online imref

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137: February 19, 2024, 11:27:46 AM »
https://www.masnsports.com/blog/ruiz-embraces-challenge-to-improve-behind-the-plate
Will change his catching position to one knee down vs both knees up in order to better frame low strikes. Also did a lot of work on getting his footwork back to where it was with the Dodgers.

Also discusses his 2nd half hitting, which was very good. .300 / .342 / 467. .365 with men in scoring position for the whole year was 5th in the majors.

I'd like to see them continue to hit him 3rd between Thomas and either Garrett or Meneses, followed by Gallo and  then Meneses or Garrett. Stats say he hit lefties better than righties by a bit over the whole season, but 2nd half, his line against righties was .297 / .344 / .494 (that is, better against RHP). I think he gets to his power better as a lefty, and with Thomas in front and a righty behind him, I think he'll see more righty relievers. Even batting righty, his contact skills are good, and with Abrams and Thomas in front off him, that contact can translate to RBIs.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #138: February 19, 2024, 04:20:17 PM »
His defense would have had him benched on any other team, especially with the new rules.  I doubt the Nats will bench because they like to play the contract, but if it doesn't improve it will offset gains elsewhere.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #139: February 19, 2024, 04:25:08 PM »
His defense would have had him benched on any other team, especially with the new rules.  I doubt the Nats will bench because they like to play the contract, but if it doesn't improve it will offset gains elsewhere.

His contract is so team friendly that at worst be a good but slightly overpaid backup catcher (assuming the rebuild ever happens).

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #140: February 19, 2024, 10:41:34 PM »
His contract is so team friendly that at worst be a good but slightly overpaid backup catcher (assuming the rebuild ever happens).

Rizzo said he's the catcher of the future, without addressing the miserable defense.  He's the only one on the team besides Corbin with a $20m+ total contract value and that's what's dictating his playing time right now.   Rizzo is invested in him and needs to keep his job, so Keibert will get more chances than he deserves.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141: February 20, 2024, 08:51:08 AM »
Rizzo said he's the catcher of the future, without addressing the miserable defense. 
??? In fairness, that was the point of emphasis for his off-season work. Clearly, his D slipped last year. Any sort of recovery approaching middling would make him pretty valuable. He doesn't have to be Yadi or even Henry Blanco to be a valuable catcher.Also, what's the cost of seeing if he can improve this year? Downside is we have a bad record. Upside is we don't make the playoffs.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #142: February 20, 2024, 09:10:54 AM »
Rizzo said he's the catcher of the future, without addressing the miserable defense.  He's the only one on the team besides Corbin with a $20m+ total contract value and that's what's dictating his playing time right now.   Rizzo is invested in him and needs to keep his job, so Keibert will get more chances than he deserves.

Ruiz will get the chance to prove himself this year, I don't know if deserves has anything to do with it, but he's the starting catcher. Beyond that his contact is affordable enough that the team can still upgrade and move him to the back-up spot.

Online imref

« Reply #143: February 20, 2024, 09:57:13 AM »
FWIW, Ruiz had the 7th highest OPS of any catcher in the MLB last year (.717) (minimum 3.1 PA per team game played). He was 8th in slugging (.409) and 5th in BA (.260). 

If he's able to improve his fielding and maintain, or even improve his hitting, he's a potential all-star. If he can't improve his fielding, he'd be a fine (and cheap) DH assuming Milas is able to grow into the starting role. There is no way Ruiz, if he continues to hit, will be a backup catcher.

As a reminder, he's only 25.

Online Slateman

« Reply #144: February 20, 2024, 10:19:56 AM »
Even without the contract, Ruiz would be getting the playing time. His pedigree is too high not to. Millas could use additional development in Triple A

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #145: February 20, 2024, 10:45:22 AM »
FWIW, Ruiz had the 7th highest OPS of any catcher in the MLB last year (.717) (minimum 3.1 PA per team game played). He was 8th in slugging (.409) and 5th in BA (.260). 

If he's able to improve his fielding and maintain, or even improve his hitting, he's a potential all-star. If he can't improve his fielding, he'd be a fine (and cheap) DH assuming Milas is able to grow into the starting role. There is no way Ruiz, if he continues to hit, will be a backup catcher.

As a reminder, he's only 25.

Ruiz can be both a back up catcher and DH, although that I hope that we have a DH hitting better than .717.

Online imref

« Reply #146: February 20, 2024, 11:48:47 AM »
Mets are locking up Fracisco Alvarez. Threw out 13% of base stealers last season but ranked 4th in defensive runs saved among catchers.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #147: February 20, 2024, 12:12:38 PM »
FWIW, Ruiz had the 7th highest OPS of any catcher in the MLB last year (.717) (minimum 3.1 PA per team game played).

7th among the 9 catchers who had 3.1 PA per game. 

.717 is not an everyday DH's OPS. 

Let's see how the defense goes this year, hopefully a big improvement.  But he has not yet earned the right to be the everyday catcher for the next seven seasons.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148: February 20, 2024, 12:33:14 PM »
7th among the 9 catchers who had 3.1 PA per game. 

.717 is not an everyday DH's OPS. 

Let's see how the defense goes this year, hopefully a big improvement.  But he has not yet earned the right to be the everyday catcher for the next seven seasons.
I'm banking a lot on his 2nd half numbers. His OPS was almost .100 points higher  (.809).

Online Slateman

« Reply #149: April 30, 2024, 09:48:54 PM »
The pitch framing is still bad