Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 4 (L)  (Read 36845 times)

Offline joabee

Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 4 (L)
« Reply #50: September 08, 2005, 08:44:41 PM »
Such a series just shows how badly we are missing some (small) things to play fundamentally good baseball. Just look at the first two runs scored by the marlins. Single, followed up by a stolen base and then another single. Two singles makes a scored run. When did we score a run on two singles in an inning? Juan Pierre has 48 stolen bases this season. How many bases have our ENTIRE team stolen this year, I bet less.
If you don't have big power bats (and we certainly don't) you have to take advantage of the small opportunities that the games offers. We don't do that. Of course that, to some degree, depends on that we lack that sort of player and that leads me to my next point.
Now that this game (and season) seems to get out of hand, I just have to say that we need som big changes for next year. How can one team be so collectively offensively challanged, and for so long? It becomes painfully obvious that as soon as one pitchers have a sub par outing we can't do anything about it. Since the winning days of june have been changed for the whining days of september I frankly don't see how we could gather the same group of individuals in spring training and hope for another good season.
Don't get me wrong I LOVE the nationals and I'm extremly proud of what they have done this year, but I do think that the wild card now, if we don't miraculously turn this game around, have slipped through our fingers. I also do believe that we have really good chance on building on this sucess with some key acquisitions in the off season.
As always, lets go nats!!!