Author Topic: Boswell: Nats were right to let stars leave  (Read 478 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Boswell: Nats were right to let stars leave
« Topic Start: June 28, 2023, 11:57:18 PM »
This will certainly generate some conversation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/28/nationals-soto-scherzer-turner-rendon/

Be glad that Juan Soto, Trea Turner, Anthony Rendon and Max Scherzer are not Nationals.

Be happy that, right now, Lane Thomas, CJ Abrams, Jeimer Candelario and Josiah Gray are replacing them — producing just as much value this season at one-fifteenth the cost.

The biggest edge the Nats have as they try to rebuild a contender may be the vast fortune that they did not spend to keep all the heroes of the 2019 World Series in town.

The message of the moment, from Tampa Bay, Baltimore and Arizona, is that spending smart beats the dollar dumpster fires set by the Mets, Angels and Padres.

These days, your best deals are often the ones that didn’t get made. Washington illustrates the double-edged point. The Nats are burdened by a $245 million deal with Stephen Strasburg through 2026 at $35 million a year. Patrick Corbin, essential to the title but a horrid 21-51 since, is off the books after 2024. Then, free at last.

What’s easy to forget is that the Nats’ predicament could have been so much worse.

Offline CowherPower

I love that Boz comes back occasionally - I'm curious to hear what you guys think about his latest column. 

https://wapo.st/3PG3ybn

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
He is right, but it highlights the bigger issue within MLB free agency: You pay for past performance, not future results

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I love that Boz comes back occasionally - I'm curious to hear what you guys think about his latest column. 

https://wapo.st/3PG3ybn

Uh https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=40800.0

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Boswell: Nats were right to let stars leave
« Reply #4: June 29, 2023, 08:51:18 AM »
you beat me to it. Was trying to figure out the right thread to put it in, maybe the Shiner's thread, but worth discussing.

I do think he's cherry picking some weird stats to make his point. Some are context free. For example, the Meneses / Soto comparison is just weird for going forward, which is what a contract is about. Meneses is nice, but to compare their power projection now, when he's been incapable of elevating any of his contact for homers, is nuts. Soto is having one of the 7 best offensive seasons in MLB in terms of wRC+ (and wRC), wOBA, OPS, OBP.   

Thomas is having a nice year far exceeding his projections, so it is kind of fun to compare his 2023 to Soto - hey, they're tied in HRs at 14 after bad Aprils! - but, other than power, he's not as productive.  Is there $35 million worth of difference between Soto and Thomas this year? no way. Is there less exposure to a collapse 10 years from now due to contract obligations? Absolutely. But does is by any stretch of the imagination say he's likely to have a better 10-13 year period than Soto? No way.

Bottom line is, as much as the Nats may have dodged a bullet by dealing several of the big guns from 2019 or letting them walk, is the current set of replacements - Candelario (who is only under team control this year), Abrams, Gray, Thomas - anything close to a contender? They will be lucky if 2 of those guys are on the next Nats with a winning record.

That's just focusing on the talent going forward.  I think the better point is that there would be a lot of dead money had the Nats not made some prudent trimming decisions.  They were an old team in 2019 that by 2021 could not be patched. Re-signing Scherzer was never on the table.  Of all the big money deals, the two I'd like would have been Turner (who I think would have signed for much less had we negotiated in 2021) and Soto.  But yes, signing big deals buys risk, as Stras and Corbin show.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #5: June 29, 2023, 02:01:27 PM »
“The message of the moment, from Tampa Bay, Baltimore and Arizona, is that spending smart beats the dollar dumpster fires set by the Mets, Angels and Padres”

The message from Baltimore brass has seemed to be that they need to leech off this market to subsidize their existence, which I’d say remains pathetic.

Getting sick of the normalization of ‘oh Baltimore is coming along, aren’t they smart and doing things the right way’, with such a history of Multi-millions in pathetic leeching thanks to an owner turned commissioner combined with starting a revenue hammock for themselves.

Of course, one of the last people on earth I might expect to lead with that perspective would be Boswell.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: June 29, 2023, 02:20:54 PM »
Let’s see what happens with Baltimore when they start to have to pay their guys. Same for the Reds. Generally you have to spend near the cap to really compete year after year. Tampa seems the only real exception to me. Doesn’t mean you should spend for the sake of spending or spend dumb. Does anyone think that if the Nats had spent day $30 million on an OF and pitcher that they would not have a better record?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: June 29, 2023, 02:23:21 PM »
Let’s see what happens with Baltimore when they start to have to pay their guys. Same for the Reds. Generally you have to spend near the cap to really compete year after year. Tampa seems the only real exception to me.
For fun, someone should do a list of the 10 worst trades for the Rays since 2007. I've got to think Souza for Turner and Ross is their all-time worst.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: June 29, 2023, 02:24:29 PM »
This will certainly generate some conversation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/28/nationals-soto-scherzer-turner-rendon/

That's a take that will age like milk. The assumption that we are building anything is naive at best. Most teams that are 'building' are perpetually building and there isn't much reason to think the nats will be any different

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: June 29, 2023, 02:25:32 PM »
He is right, but it highlights the bigger issue within MLB free agency: You pay for past performance, not future results

That's what happens when team control is so long that you don't have the ability to pay for future results on the open market. You pay for past performance because the money is there and there is no alternative

Offline Natsinpwc

Here are the team salaries.

Out of the top ten they are all in contention other than Mets and Padres. And the Mets won 101 games last year and Padres made the NLCS. More than likely those two teams will compete next year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2023/04/06/mlb-team-payrolls-2023-highest-lowest-mets/11612107002/

Offline rileyn

Let’s see what happens with Baltimore when they start to have to pay their guys. Same for the Reds. Generally you have to spend near the cap to really compete year after year. Tampa seems the only real exception to me. Doesn’t mean you should spend for the sake of spending or spend dumb. Does anyone think that if the Nats had spent day $30 million on an OF and pitcher that they would not have a better record?
Yes, but the Orioles could have a couple World Series wins by that time.  They could win it this year.

Offline Natsinpwc

Yes, but the Orioles could have a couple World Series wins by that time.  They could win it this year.
Not going to happen.

Offline CowherPower

Why don't we have this mentality in my profession?  I'm about to hit 55 and my past performance kicks ass!  Time to get PAID so I can kick back for the next decade before retirement!   :hysterical:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Why don't we have this mentality in my profession?  I'm about to hit 55 and my past performance kicks ass!  Time to get PAID so I can kick back for the next decade before retirement!   :hysterical:
I got my GS 15 in my mid 30s (and mid 40s again after I gave it up), so I've been paid for past performance for a while.