Author Topic: May the Kuhls win their bigger fight  (Read 382 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
May the Kuhls win their bigger fight
« Topic Start: April 30, 2023, 10:32:15 AM »
So Kuhl's wife just went through the first round of chemo so, like, thats enough of a reason not to cut him for me.

I wouldnt mind seeing if he could be a bullpen piece

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: May the Kuhls win their bigger fight
« Reply #1: May 03, 2023, 01:54:52 PM »
Svrluga on his wife's condition, how they met, and how they handled the challenge of a 3 year old, finding a new team, and all the while dealing with breast cancer as a 30 year old mother.  Notes one of the reasons he wanted to sign a minor league contract with the Nats is that the affiliates and the club are close to Delaware where they grew up and have a support system.  She's being treated at Sibley.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/05/03/chad-amanda-kuhl-cancer/

For Amanda, the fight lies ahead. Through their philanthropic arm, the Nationals are helping raise funds for two local cancer-related charities — Breast Care for Washington DC and The Previvor. The Kuhls are new to this battle. They already have a message to put forth.

“First and foremost: Take the utmost care of yourself,” Amanda said. “Do the self-exams — men and women. No matter what age. I’m 30 years old going through this. And then, if anyone has it in their hearts, please please please donate to the fundraiser page.”

It’s at give.nats4good.org/CancerIsntKuhl. Chad and Amanda Kuhl’s story goes back to when they were kids catching each other’s eye at a middle school orientation. It should last to when Hudson can have his own story about the cute girl on the other side of the room. The baseball doesn’t matter much. The next time Chad Kuhl takes the mound at Nats Park — whenever that is — stand and give him a hand. He needs it, and so does his wife.

the link to Cancer isn't Kuhl - https://give.nats4good.org/give/484348/#!/donation/checkout

We don't know how things work. The story mentions she was going for treatment Friday, and he was supposed to pitch, but there was a rainout that allowed him to accompany her.  I suppose Vince Velasquez's divot might end up giving him more time in DC too. 

Merged the old thread on his rotation status and potential replacement with the rotation / dead cat bounce thread
https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=40557.0

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2: May 03, 2023, 03:39:47 PM »
my wife had the same form of breast cancer, stage 2. She's 13 years cancer free.  I assume his wife had the BRCA gene since she had a double-mastectomy. Prayers to her and her family.

Online IanRubbish

« Reply #3: May 04, 2023, 11:57:57 AM »
Prayers for the family and hope the Lerners can do something here to help them out.   I can't imagine how hard it was for him to pitch in MLB games with this going on.

Offline wj73

« Reply #4: May 04, 2023, 06:56:59 PM »
my wife had the same form of breast cancer, stage 2. She's 13 years cancer free.  I assume his wife had the BRCA gene since she had a double-mastectomy. Prayers to her and her family.

Hooray for Mrs Imref!!  I’m at 15 years and counting, Stage 2b. I was 51 years old at dx - can’t imagine being only 30 and going through it. That makes it extra amazing to me that they have the strength at this point to reach out to help others.

One good thing about being bald for a year - I saved beaucoup bucks on shampoo, conditioner, hair cuts,  and hair coloring appointments.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #5: May 04, 2023, 11:09:51 PM »

Hooray for Mrs Imref!!  I’m at 15 years and counting, Stage 2b. I was 51 years old at dx - can’t imagine being only 30 and going through it. That makes it extra amazing to me that they have the strength at this point to reach out to help others.

One good thing about being bald for a year - I saved beaucoup bucks on shampoo, conditioner, hair cuts,  and hair coloring appointments.

I love your attitude!

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #6: May 05, 2023, 08:52:17 AM »
Hurray for the Kuhls, and hurray for wj73!

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #7: May 09, 2023, 05:17:59 PM »
sucks that kuhl's injury may have cost him his rotation spot to irvin (granted he was probably going to lose it at some point anyways).  with a career era in the majors of over 4.90, maybe it's time to move to the pen and carve out a career there.  We could afford to be patient with him in the pen.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #8: May 09, 2023, 09:29:49 PM »
sucks that kuhl's injury may have cost him his rotation spot to irvin (granted he was probably going to lose it at some point anyways).  with a career era in the majors of over 4.90, maybe it's time to move to the pen and carve out a career there.  We could afford to be patient with him in the pen.

You might have something there