Author Topic: The Sunshine Squad 2024  (Read 4539 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: The Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #150: April 09, 2024, 01:35:38 PM »
You might be looking at something a bit outdated.  They both show a pretty good OPS+, but neither is particularly close to a career high.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #151: April 09, 2024, 02:23:03 PM »
You might be looking at something a bit outdated.  They both show a pretty good OPS+, but neither is particularly close to a career high.
They’re both right about their career averages. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #152: April 09, 2024, 05:49:30 PM »
So not career highs, but back at their all-star levels:

Andrew Flax @ajflax
Filed under "Where does Mike Rizzo go to get his apology": Jesse Winker and Joey Gallo have graded out extremely well (in VERY small samples) on advanced stats. Looking at xBA, xSLG, xwOBA, and exit velocity, both are back at their 2021 All-Star peaks.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #153: April 09, 2024, 06:39:54 PM »
Those are too advanced for my little head.  So I will just say:

It’s early.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #154: April 14, 2024, 08:05:54 AM »
Irvin and Gore with good starts, and a little less ball four.

Offline imref

« Reply #155: April 17, 2024, 05:33:05 PM »
5-4 roadtrip!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #156: April 17, 2024, 05:49:39 PM »
Shutout one of the best offenses in baseball

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #157: April 17, 2024, 06:30:01 PM »
And first team to shut-out the Dodgers this season... :D

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #158: April 18, 2024, 12:05:47 PM »
Can't believe we shut out the Dodgers, that is pretty awesome!! CJ is on fire too, way to go boys.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #159: April 18, 2024, 04:26:18 PM »
And Rutledge is healthy. Probably means that Adon will not start again, except in AAA.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160: April 18, 2024, 05:18:14 PM »
And Rutledge is healthy. Probably means that Adon will not start again, except in AAA.
Adon did OK in his spot start. I think he'll be in the mix for spot starts this year. They have 5 potential spot starters behind Gray once Gray is healthy - Adon, Rutledge, Parker, Ward, and Herz. Cavalli I think they'll try in MLB over a number of starts, but there's enough depth that he can take some time coming back.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161: April 18, 2024, 05:31:25 PM »
everyone gets too hyped about system products and minor leaguers filling roles on major league rosters, so it's not strange we have visions where 80% of a contending roster is on-board in the system. However, I'm getting to the point where Sunshine JCA feels 80% of the lineup and rotation could be in place by the end of the season:

3 outfield starters = Wood, Crews, Thomas
2 - 3 infield starters = Garcia, Abrams, maybe House (that's a stretch)
Catcher combo = Ruiz / Adams / Millas (not stellar, but adequate)

Leaves the easiest spots to fill - DH, 1B, maybe 3rd

4 SPs - Gore, Cavalli, Irvin, Gray.

There's projection on Cavalli, for sure, but this is the Shiner thread. I'd like a #1 /#2 FA on a short deal to fill this out. OTOH, none of this counts on Parker / Rutledge / Herz /Adon / Ward having a rotation role, so that covers a bit for a disappointment.

As for the bullpen, I still assume pieces will be moved, but I could also see Rizzo saying that with most of the 2025 lineup in place, hang onto some of the vets to complement Weems and RoGar for a year. I think they still should deal Harvey and Finnegan if the price is right, and hope a year of work will make Rainey useful for 2025.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #162: April 18, 2024, 07:27:28 PM »
everyone gets too hyped about system products and minor leaguers filling roles on major league rosters, so it's not strange we have visions where 80% of a contending roster is on-board in the system. However, I'm getting to the point where Sunshine JCA feels 80% of the lineup and rotation could be in place by the end of the season:

3 outfield starters = Wood, Crews, Thomas
2 - 3 infield starters = Garcia, Abrams, maybe House (that's a stretch)
Catcher combo = Ruiz / Adams / Millas (not stellar, but adequate)

Leaves the easiest spots to fill - DH, 1B, maybe 3rd

4 SPs - Gore, Cavalli, Irvin, Gray.

There's projection on Cavalli, for sure, but this is the Shiner thread. I'd like a #1 /#2 FA on a short deal to fill this out. OTOH, none of this counts on Parker / Rutledge / Herz /Adon / Ward having a rotation role, so that covers a bit for a disappointment.

As for the bullpen, I still assume pieces will be moved, but I could also see Rizzo saying that with most of the 2025 lineup in place, hang onto some of the vets to complement Weems and RoGar for a year. I think they still should deal Harvey and Finnegan if the price is right, and hope a year of work will make Rainey useful for 2025.

I’m more than likely repeating myself but I do not see Crews making the OD in 2025 and I wouldn’t count on Thomas either. If Winker continues what he is doing and returns to his 2021 form I would like to see Rizzo take a run at him. Could he be another Candelario at the deadline? I agree with your infield projections but House is really young.
Rizzo needs to go all in on SP at least a # 1. I would not count on Gray being anything other than a #5. We are betting on Cavalli so you are probably correct that a #2 would make sense. We have virtually nothing in the pipeline for SP’s.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163: April 18, 2024, 07:32:01 PM »
This is a sunshine thread

Offline imref

« Reply #164: April 18, 2024, 08:39:13 PM »
Don't look now, but the Nats are developing starting pitching.....

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #165: April 18, 2024, 08:46:49 PM »
Don't look now, but the Nats are developing starting pitching.....
Who besides Irvin and Parker. I have little hope for Rutledge and Adon was ruined by trotting him out continuously early last season or was it the year before without a win ?
Apologies JCA but your post probably should have been placed in the "Holy crap I'm Drunk " thread. :)

Offline imref

« Reply #166: April 18, 2024, 08:50:35 PM »
Who besides Irvin and Parker. I have little hope for Rutledge and Adon was ruined by trotting him out early last season or was it the year before?
Apologies JCA but your post probably should have been placed in the "Holy crap I'm Drunk " thread. :)
Don't Irvin and Parker count? And Rutledge is getting there. Adon seems to have become a serviceable starter.

And we've had some relievers blossom : Jordan Weems, Kyle Finnegan, Hunter Harvey?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #167: April 18, 2024, 08:51:08 PM »
Who besides Irvin and Parker. I have little hope for Rutledge and Adon was ruined by trotting him out continuously early last season or was it the year before without a win ?
Parker has one start. Lets hold off on penciling him just yet

Offline imref

« Reply #168: April 18, 2024, 08:51:32 PM »
Parker has one start. Lets hold off on penciling him just yet
sunshine squad thread.....

Offline imref

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #170: April 19, 2024, 12:27:16 PM »
So far, so good.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #171: April 19, 2024, 01:09:01 PM »
https://www.talknats.com/2024/04/18/are-cosmic-tumblers-turning/

LOL at Corbin actually being replaced at the rotation.  He's been paid, so he's going to play, that's the Mini Me way.  Sunshine - less than one season to go on his contract.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #172: April 19, 2024, 01:35:20 PM »
LOL at Corbin actually being replaced at the rotation.  He's been paid, so he's going to play, that's the Mini Me way.  Sunshine - less than one season to go on his contract.
It would actually be smart to put him in the pen.  Another team might see something they like about him there and make a trade.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #173: April 19, 2024, 06:25:23 PM »
I’m encouraged with the developments we’re seeing.

Gore looks to be making an Ace turn, and CJ is becoming a superstar.  I just wish we already locked CJ up with an extension.

Irvin looks to be maybe the next Tanner Roark.  Just a very solid middle of the rotation guy.

Maybe Garcia is actually not a lost cause at 23?  His expected numbers look great. 

Winker may end up this year’s Candelario we can flip at the deadline.  Hopefully Finnegan and Harvey stay healthy and productive so we can also shop them.  I think you have to look at moving Lane as well.

Wood has drastically cut down the K rate and continues to absolutely crush the ball.  It will be a nice jolt of excitement to get him in the lineup hopefully next month.

Now, I would like to see Gray get back on the mound and take at least a small step forward.  I’m still hoping Ruiz can find another gear, although Adams is a nice platoon.

Cavalli having a good second half would be awesome to see, and hopefully we see Crews around July.

Offline imref

« Reply #174: April 19, 2024, 06:28:42 PM »
I’m encouraged with the developments we’re seeing.

Gore looks to be making an Ace turn, and CJ is becoming a superstar.  I just wish we already locked CJ up with an extension.

Irvin looks to be maybe the next Tanner Roark.  Just a very solid middle of the rotation guy.

Maybe Garcia is actually not a lost cause at 23?  His expected numbers look great. 

Winker may end up this year’s Candelario we can flip at the deadline.  Hopefully Finnegan and Harvey stay healthy and productive so we can also shop them.  I think you have to look at moving Lane as well.

Wood has drastically cut down the K rate and continues to absolutely crush the ball.  It will be a nice jolt of excitement to get him in the lineup hopefully next month.

Now, I would like to see Gray get back on the mound and take at least a small step forward.  I’m still hoping Ruiz can find another gear, although Adams is a nice platoon.

Cavalli having a good second half would be awesome to see, and hopefully we see Crews around July.
solid SSS post :clap: