Author Topic: College Basketball 23-24  (Read 2462 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: College Basketball 23-24
« Reply #50: March 09, 2024, 02:17:57 PM »
Yale men's spit the bit at home after a Brown 13-2 run at the end of regulation and a no look pass / turnover in a tie with 26 seconds left on the shot and game clock in OT. Brown hits a 3 with .5 left for first iwn in 14 years. I think Princeton gets the 1 seed regardless of the outcome of tonight's game at the Palestra, even in a 3 way tie.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #51: March 09, 2024, 09:17:57 PM »
William and Mary loses to Towson.  Another year with no NCAA.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #52: March 09, 2024, 09:19:51 PM »

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #53: March 10, 2024, 12:50:18 PM »
Longwood is up big at half in the Big South.  Have they made it before?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #54: March 10, 2024, 01:07:19 PM »
Longwood is up big at half in the Big South.  Have they made it before?
2022 was their one and only

Only citadel, West Point, and…..William and Mary have never made it (of teams in existence when the tourney began)

Offline imref

« Reply #55: March 10, 2024, 02:12:07 PM »
Longwood dances. Just saw both semis went to OT yesterday.

Longwood was the fifth seed.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #56: March 10, 2024, 08:41:07 PM »
App State loses so JMU is now the highest seed left in their tournament.  Semi against Texas State just starting.

Offline imref

« Reply #57: March 10, 2024, 10:45:28 PM »
JMU to the finals

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: March 10, 2024, 10:45:50 PM »
JMU survives.  To the title game against Arkansas State. 

Offline imref

« Reply #59: March 11, 2024, 08:57:30 PM »
JMU dancing!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #60: March 11, 2024, 09:20:09 PM »
JMU dancing!
Did not see the game. Looks like they won easily.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #61: March 12, 2024, 09:46:06 PM »
Gonzaga has been in the WCC title game 27 years in a row.   :shock:

ACC tournament is at Capital One arena this week.

Offline imref

« Reply #62: March 15, 2024, 11:40:21 PM »
NC State hits a miracle shot to tie it and send the game against UVA into OT. UVA has led almost the whole game but can’t pull away. Free throw shooting has been rough.

Offline imref

« Reply #63: March 15, 2024, 11:47:11 PM »
DJ Burns Jr playing like Shaq

Offline imref

« Reply #64: March 15, 2024, 11:54:39 PM »
And NC State wins. All UVA had to do was make a late free throw. Battle of the NCs tomorrow.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #65: March 16, 2024, 12:16:15 AM »
After a disastrous year and a gambling investigation, Temple has somehow won three games in their tournament and will face FAU tomorrow in the semis.  They missed free throws at the end tonight too but got away with it.  The dream probably ends on the semis but gives me some hope for the program. 

Edit: Some Owls will be happy Saturday night and some will be sad. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #66: March 16, 2024, 06:10:53 AM »
Does the NCAA have someone like Scott Foster to make sure the an embarrassing team doesn’t advance too far?

Offline imref

« Reply #67: March 16, 2024, 09:26:22 AM »

NC State has won as many basketball games in Capitol One Arena in the last 4 days as the Washington Wizards have since April 7, 2023.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68: March 16, 2024, 11:15:04 AM »
After a disastrous year and a gambling investigation, Temple has somehow won three games in their tournament and will face FAU tomorrow in the semis.  They missed free throws at the end tonight too but got away with it.  The dream probably ends on the semis but gives me some hope for the program. 

Edit: Some Owls will be happy Saturday night and some will be sad. 
took me a while to figure out what conference they were in. American Athletic Conference. This is what was originally the Big East after BC, Va Tech, and Syracuse left, I think. Was supposed to be a football conference that emphasized basketball. Temple joined when they restarted football. Then after some of the replacement schools like Louisville left and the Catholic basketball schools reformed the Big East, they ended up taking the AAC name and tried to keep the power conference status by adding even more schools like maybe Boise State (who I don't think ultimately joined). It looks like now Temple is the only northeastern school left in the conference.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69: March 16, 2024, 11:56:23 AM »
Looking forward to Yale v. Cornell men's in the Ivy semis at 2 on ESPNews. Yale has had some screw the pooch games, especially the season finale that cost them a tie for the regular season championship.

Nice article by Jesse Dougherty on how Malik Mack from Oxon Hill, the top freshman in the league at Harvard, might get a big NIL deal if he enters the transfer portal. Also noted a few other names to watch, like sophomore Joe Wolf (7' 1" Yale center from Chicago area), Xaivian Lee (6' 3" Princeton point guard with a "microwave" shooting touch), and Tyler Perkins from Penn were mentioned. I'd toss in PotY Caden Pierce from Princeton, a 6' 7" 220 lbs sophomore forward. Ivy League has no NIL collectives affiliated with the schools, and an NBA scout suggested Mack could make $250K by transferring. Dougherty mentions Jordan Dingle as an example of an Ivy guy who got a big NIL deal from Pitino. Was his senior year after winning PotY.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/13/malik-mack-harvard-ivy-league-nil/
dougherty:
BACK ON JAN. 20, before Harvard faced Penn in Philadelphia, an NBA scout stopped by press row and asked: “Are you here to figure out if Malik Mack will transfer? I mean, do you take $250,000 to go play somewhere else, or do you stay for the Harvard degree?”
If you’re into the collision of higher education and the big, big business of college sports, Mack is the ultimate bar debate. Some key facts: When the regular season ended last week, Mack, Harvard’s best player, ranked fourth in the Ivy League in scoring (17.2 points per game) and first in assists (4.8). He was named the Ivy League’s rookie of the year Wednesday. But to date, he has not earned a penny of NIL money, according to his father, while many of his peers in other conferences are cashing in. That’s partly because Harvard does not have an NIL collective, a donor-funded group that pays de facto salaries to in-demand football and men’s basketball players. None of the eight Ivy League schools do, making the conference an extreme outlier.
Collectives, it should be noted, are not run by schools. They typically raise money from fans and regular donors, then compensate athletes through paid charity work and appearances. But while schools are not in charge, they can promote and partner with collectives — and it would be naive to think coaches aren’t communicating with boosters about recruits. An accountant or lawyer isn’t deciding which transfer guard should receive a six-figure offer. And after a court decision in Tennessee this month, collectives are temporarily allowed to negotiate and even sign contracts with recruits before they enroll.

As was mentioned in the article, if the Ivies started forming collectives, you can imagine the money alumni could spend to buy teams. As is, and as Dougherty notes, the Ivy financial pitch is not so much the money you could earn in the NFL or NBA, but rather the 40 year payout (that has eluded my life :lol: ). The other thing the Ivies do is give a lot of grant money to all students who lack financial resources. I'm not sure where Mack's folks fall, but the cut is around $100K (mindfact), with roughly 60% of the student bodies getting some grants.

The story is a good read about Mack. Lots of detail on his rise, how he came to the attention of Amaker, and his skills both on the court and academically. Folks deserve credit, too, for support and helping him focus on being rounded and not just a hoops or brainy nerd, but he has the discipline to pull it off.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #70: March 16, 2024, 01:18:13 PM »
took me a while to figure out what conference they were in. American Athletic Conference. This is what was originally the Big East after BC, Va Tech, and Syracuse left, I think. Was supposed to be a football conference that emphasized basketball. Temple joined when they restarted football. Then after some of the replacement schools like Louisville left and the Catholic basketball schools reformed the Big East, they ended up taking the AAC name and tried to keep the power conference status by adding even more schools like maybe Boise State (who I don't think ultimately joined). It looks like now Temple is the only northeastern school left in the conference.
Yes the Big East split up into the American for the football schools and the primarily basketball Catholic schools.  Plus UConn. Temple finally got back to the Big East after being fired.  They had then been in the Mid America conference. And then the Big East split.

UConn defected back to the Big East a few years ago.  West Virginia left a while back. Houston, Cincinnati and UCF left for the Big XII this season.  It’s a strange spread out league now but not unlike Confernece USA and the Sun Belt.  Temple should have just stayed in the A10 for basketball and gone FCS for football.

I see UT Arlington is in the WAC final tonight.  It’s a strange new world.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #71: March 16, 2024, 03:31:11 PM »
Houston and Iowa State should be a flat out war. And probably bad basketball. Tie best defensive teams.  UConn and Marquette should be good also.  Is the Marquette guard back?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #72: March 16, 2024, 03:33:07 PM »
Looks like Yale and Brown in the Ivy Final.  Similar to Penn and Princeton back in the day. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73: March 16, 2024, 05:30:09 PM »
Looks like Yale and Brown in the Ivy Final.  Similar to Penn and Princeton back in the day. 
I think Jones has been top 4 in the league for over 20 years in a row, maybe the whole century. appeared in 5 out of 6 championship games. First he had to get by the Penn/ Princeton block, then it was the Cornell stretch, then Amaker came in and had some good teams, but he finally broke through in the middle of last decade with Justin Sears, Brandon Sherrod, etc... Was more looking forward to getting Princeton even though tougher on paper. Brown is playing well and has the league's top scorer and other talent. won't help the seedings as much as beating Princeton, but  beating them the way they are playing will be tough, rewarding, and kind of a mulligan for the seniors who lost on senior day last week.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: March 16, 2024, 06:02:48 PM »
I think Jones has been top 4 in the league for over 20 years in a row, maybe the whole century. appeared in 5 out of 6 championship games. First he had to get by the Penn/ Princeton block, then it was the Cornell stretch, then Amaker came in and had some good teams, but he finally broke through in the middle of last decade with Justin Sears, Brandon Sherrod, etc... Was more looking forward to getting Princeton even though tougher on paper. Brown is playing well and has the league's top scorer and other talent. won't help the seedings as much as beating Princeton, but  beating them the way they are playing will be tough, rewarding, and kind of a mulligan for the seniors who lost on senior day last week.
If you were playing Princeton would root for you guys but have to pull for Brown as the underdog.  When was the last time someone other than Yale/Harvard/Princeton/Penn won the league?  I guess Cornell when Donahue was there?