Author Topic: Break up the Juggernaut: 2022 Trade Deadline thoughts, & rumors  (Read 11262 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Useless prediction:   SD blinks and Nats get Abrams, Hasell, Merrill, Wood, and Gore and maybe another pitcher. 
I don't think that's horrible if the Nationals get the full medicals on Gore and are comfortable. If they want to toss in a couple low minors flyers with high velocity, I think it's an okay package.

I'm really high on CJ Abrams. Him struggling at age 21 doesn't bother me too badly. And he has a really high ceiling.

Hassell and Wood would come in as 2 of our top 3 hitting prospects around Elijah Green. Merrill is a good pickup. If he finishes strong, he could sneak into Top 100 lists next year.

I'd prefer the theoretical Cardinals offer of younger major leaguers and prospects. But that may not be realistic. The Padres offer of two Top 100 prospects and two players who started season in Top 100 before graduating isn't bad. You'd be getting 5 or their top 6 prospects from opening Top 30 this season.

I admit my viewpoint is biased because I think Soto is gone and I really value CJ Abrams upside. And I've never thought there was going to be a "Herschel Walker trade" scenario just because teams way overvalue their prospects and these days and, like the Nationals, want to hold onto controllable players.