Author Topic: Break up the Juggernaut: 2022 Trade Deadline thoughts, & rumors  (Read 11065 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Those air popped chips without much content or taste

Offline Mattionals

Those air popped chips without much content or taste

Kale chips

Offline blue911

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Plantain chips.

If you do those plantain chips with the garlic powder, that's probably enough for Bell.  Jim Bowden would rather trade him for Smiley Gonzalez (plus kickback), but plantain chips are definitely higher floor.

Offline Mattionals

If you do those plantain chips with the garlic powder, that's probably enough for Bell.  Jim Bowden would rather trade him for Smiley Gonzalez (plus kickback), but plantain chips are definitely higher floor.

I agree that Smiley isn't enough. Going to have to get FLop as well

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

I agree that Smiley isn't enough. Going to have to get FLop as well
rights to ED or Gtfoh

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
This isn't revelatory, but I want to say again baseball has firmly moved from underrating prospects to way overvaluing them.

Soto is his own unique situation, but looks at Josh Bell. Trying to imagine what the Nationals would have given up for a half season cheap rental of a .900 OPS switch hitting first baseman in our contending years if we had an open DH spot in addition to 1B.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Probably nothing considering we always needed bullpen help

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Probably nothing considering we always needed bullpen help
They added Melancon, Papelbon, Madson/Doolittle, Hudson through trades in different seasons.

Online Slateman

They added Melancon, Papelbon, Madson/Doolittle, Hudson through trades in different seasons.
The Nats never needed a first baseman or a DH. They always Morse, Laroche, Zimmerman, or Howie.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Looking forward to some discounts on city gray jerseys tomorrow night. Not just Adrianza

Offline raleighnat

If they pull this trade to Padres and it's CJ Abrams, MRI shoulder Gore, and some A-ball hitters, I will be broken as a baseball fan.

CJ Abrams would have to come in and light it up for that is just a devastating trade for fans to process.

Useless prediction:   SD blinks and Nats get Abrams, Hasell, Merrill, Wood, and Gore and maybe another pitcher. 

Offline van lingle mungo

If I remember correctly,  Stan Kasten was going to go troll the entire Dominican Republic personally in an effort to find out what happened with that whole mess. Instead, nothing happened in response at all. Except that Bowden finally got canned and they were able to somehow sweep the whole utter embarrassment under the rug.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

If I remember correctly,  Stan Kasten was going to go troll the entire Dominican Republic personally in an effort to find out what happened with that whole mess. Instead, nothing happened in response at all. Except that Bowden finally got canned and they were able to somehow sweep the whole utter embarrassment under the rug.

And both Smiley and Bowden kept their money. 

Offline Section214

Useless prediction:   SD blinks and Nats get Abrams, Hasell, Merrill, Wood, and Gore and maybe another pitcher. 

The only one blinking in that scenario would be the Nationals taking the deal.

Online Slateman

Thats the Nats blinking unless "another pitcher" is Musgrove

Offline van lingle mungo

Thats the Nats blinking unless "another pitcher" is Musgrove

Or a substitute for one of them happens to be Cronenworth, which ain't gonna happen.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I don't think that's horrible if the Nationals get the full medicals on Gore and are comfortable. If they want to toss in a couple low minors flyers with high velocity, I think it's an okay package.

I'm really high on CJ Abrams. Him struggling at age 21 doesn't bother me too badly. And he has a really high ceiling.

Hassell and Wood would come in as 2 of our top 3 hitting prospects around Elijah Green. Merrill is a good pickup. If he finishes strong, he could sneak into Top 100 lists next year.

I'd prefer the theoretical Cardinals offer of younger major leaguers and prospects. But that may not be realistic. The Padres offer of two Top 100 prospects and two players who started season in Top 100 before graduating isn't bad. You'd be getting 5 or their top 6 prospects from opening Top 30 this season.

I admit my viewpoint is biased because I think Soto is gone and I really value CJ Abrams upside. And I've never thought there was going to be a "Herschel Walker trade" scenario just because teams way overvalue their prospects and these days and, like the Nationals, want to hold onto controllable players.

Offline Section214

The only Padres deal
Or a substitute for one of them happens to be Cronenworth, which ain't gonna happen.

Imagine the Padres not pulling the trigger to get Juan Soto because they refuse to let go of Jake Cronenworth.. insanity. Not saying you’re wrong, they’d be wrong.

The only padres deal worth it for me would be Gore/Morejon Abrams/Hassell/Wood/Merrill and a PTBNL by the name of Dylan Lesko.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

The only Padres deal
Imagine the Padres not pulling the trigger to get Juan Soto because they refuse to let go of Jake Cronenworth.. insanity. Not saying you’re wrong, they’d be wrong.

The only padres deal worth it for me would be Gore/Morejon Abrams/Hassell/Wood/Merrill and a PTBNL by the name of Dylan Lesko.

Imagine AJ Preller, the dude who opened his tenure as GM by trading Trea Turner and Max Fried in a single offseason basically because they'd been drafted by his predecessor, doing insane things? 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Wonder if the Brewers are willing to give up anything they got in the Hader deal

I was thinking the same thing, honestly. This would make more sense to me, and I think Bell to the Brewers makes sense.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I think the only way it gets done is if Wood is included. Rizzo has no incentive to cut the Padres a break. Wood is probably top-100 in the postseason rankings.

Correct

Offline blue911

When are this year’s draftees eligible to be traded?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
What's everyone's final prediction for who is traded?

Soto - No
Bell - Yes
Y Hernandez - Yes
C Hernandez - Yes
Cruz - No, DFA'd

Tough to predict on bullpen. I have suspicion Finnegan and Edwards are gone. I also think some playoff contention team could do worse than Espino or Erasmo Martinez as a mop up guy.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

What's everyone's final prediction for who is traded?

Soto - No
Bell - Yes
Y Hernandez - Yes
C Hernandez - Yes
Cruz - No, DFA'd

Tough to predict on bullpen. I have suspicion Finnegan and Edwards are gone. I also think some playoff contention team could do worse than Espino or Erasmo Martinez as a mop up guy.

Soto - Yes
Bell - Yes
Y Hernandez - No
C Hernandez - No
Cruz - No
Edwards - Yes
Finnegan - No

Besides Soto and Bell, basically nobody has any value (aside from Gray and Ruiz, who aren't going anywhere).  I think Soto ends up in LA.  Bell could be anywhere.  The prices for rentals this year are pretty cheap.  Same story for Edwards.  Finnegan is a weird guy to value because he's a decent reliever with a lot of team control.  I'll admit I've got no real clue there.