Author Topic: Your card is your ticket to the game  (Read 23755 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Your card is your ticket to the game
« Reply #450: April 05, 2013, 08:13:35 AM »
of course to take full advantage of the analog records, you need an amp with tubes.

Couldn't one use a tube amp with any music media? 

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #451: April 05, 2013, 08:19:56 AM »
Couldn't one use a tube amp with any music media? 

Of course, but isn't records with a tube amp the only way to get pure analog audio?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #452: April 05, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
Of course, but isn't records with a tube amp the only way to get pure analog audio?

Yes, and perhaps I'm mindfacting this, but each component of your system is potentially limiting the purity and fullness of the sound.  Better quality sound pumped through a solid state amp is going to sound better than a sound feed that has itself already been compressed.

It's been decades since I've heard a tube amp but it would be interesting to listen to a CD through tube and solid state for comparison purposes.  Alternatively, maybe the googler can inform us.

Offline blue911

« Reply #453: April 05, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »
Yes, and perhaps I'm mindfacting this, but each component of your system is potentially limiting the purity and fullness of the sound.  Better quality sound pumped through a solid state amp is going to sound better than a sound feed that has itself already been compressed.

It's been decades since I've heard a tube amp but it would be interesting to listen to a CD through tube and solid state for comparison purposes.  Alternatively, maybe the googler can inform us.

Most of the older stuff has been digitally remastered. Play on whatever you want but the sound isn't a analog recording.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #454: April 05, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »

I'm just going by a couple articles I've read, in no expert, I've got a kick ass set of speakers and a not so fancy amp that I connect to my iPod.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #455: April 05, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »
Most of the older stuff has been digitally remastered. Play on whatever you want but the sound isn't a analog recording.

Indeed the new Beatles stereo LP boxed set has gotten decidedly negative reviews because they didn't use the original master tapes but instead used the digitally-remastered stuff they used to make the 2009 CD reissues.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #456: April 08, 2013, 09:11:51 PM »
Someone from Harper's Homeboyz Facebook Page just posted this:

For STH -- if you use IE do NOT upgrade to 10. It's incompatible with the Ultimate Access site.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #457: April 08, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »

When CD's came out, someone asked George Harrison what he thought about 'em.   He said he enjoyed the pops on an album.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #458: April 08, 2013, 10:39:14 PM »
I'm the absolute first person to buy gadgets and gizmos when they prove beneficial. Got my first HD set in 99, first MP3 player in 99 (Diamond Rio, all of 16MB of space!!! That was like, ten songs at the most godawful bitrate imaginable.) Even though I'm an Apple hater, stood in line the day the first iPad came out. Had bought an old school tablet around 2005, a laptop with a swivel screen and stylus. Weighed about as much as a couple bricks. Heck, I've kept score of every game I go to digitally since 2007, first with a Palm device and later a tablet. I'll never forget when I preordered the first Tivo at Circuit City... A family member remarked how stupid it was to have a second box in addition to the cable receiver. Their response to my explanation, ''Why would you want to record tv shows?'

My point? I'm hardly some old fogey who longs for the good old days of horses and lanterns. When technological advancement has clear benefit, I'm the first one in line. Literally. That's why I just can't get behind this card - I want things that make life easier and cost me less time. I'm not going to be logging into their website unless I want to sell my ticket. I did so recently, and it's still a headache with apparently a separate site for ticket transactions and whatever new hub they have I'll eventually be forced to log into. I can't even use the ticket selling site on a tablet, so I can only imagine the fun and games of the "Your Card Is Your Ticket" site.

As things stand? I had no idea whether or not I even had a ticket to the exhibition game. Red Carpet Rewards? Absolutely bloody nothing through the mail. Considering how much the system has been gutted from my reading here, I haven't even taken the time to look it up yet and redeem. That's actually what prompted this latest Collirant, I can't believe they put out no further mailings beyond the box and card. Nothing on the exhibition, nothing on RCRs.

And their much touted benefits and promos on a game-by-game basis? I don't feel like logging into some damn site every game to find out what's new for that game on the card. The old system, you ripped your ticket out. Nice reminder of the date and time. If I accidently lost or dropped said ticket, I didn't lose my ticket to all 81 games; the hassle of canceling it/getting a new one. I don't even know what these promos folks go on about are, since I haven't logged into the site. I might come off as utterly delusional and insane saying this considering my lengthy posts/time taken writing them, but I value my time and want things as fast and straightforward as possible. Paper tickets, beyond the memento, were such a beast. Logging into some website 81 games a year, even just once a week, losing the mailings informing me about the RCR program, the 'bonus' tickets that included the Stars & Stripes two, promo item (With the date it would be redeemed), the STH event, my one-off 15% or whatever coupon? Gone. I got one page of hype and spin and the card.

Right down to the exhibition game, I shouldn't have to go searching for this crap. I get folks are trending toward being online 24/7, logging onto their Facebooks and Twittleedees hourly, but to quote the Turtles... that ain't me, babe. I'm sure the response is I'm an idiot for not logging in yet, but I shouldn't *have* to - shouldn't have to be doing more than I did last year to get the same amount of information. Last year I got all I needed in my physical mailbox, this year I'm clueless. They want to add stuff that requires me putting in more time then great, but don't make the basics harder and result in a dearth of information unless I go online. If the internet saves me time and effort (Buying crap through Amazon versus driving and walking the aisles), I'll advocate for it all night and day. This... doesn't. I only ever logged on to the STH site to sell games and redeem my RCRs. Given this equals more of my time spent doing something that before came via mail and was simplified, so far I'm not being won over with the march of progress for Nat's tickets.

I'm flabbergasted that they never so much as sent out a letter regarding the exhibition or RCRs... As rare as it is in our society, there are still *some* technophobes who don't so much as own a computer... Was a letter on either of those two things really that much of a hassle for the FO?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #459: April 08, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »
Coladar  ...  I like readin' your stuff.   

Offline Coladar

« Reply #460: April 08, 2013, 11:05:58 PM »
Coladar  ...  I like readin' your stuff.   

I know, I know... Two sentences. Max. :)

I wish I knew when I got into the habit of writing novels of pointless rants. I've gone searching for old Usenet posts of mine from the early 90s when I was all of 7 or 8, and they were missives of equal length. Considering I expect just about every post of mine gets the tl;dr treatment, aside from scrolling through a wall of text the only folks who probably take issue are the hosts of the forum. I'm waiting for the bill for the terabytes of my ramblings clogging the server.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #461: April 08, 2013, 11:12:24 PM »
I know, I know... Two sentences. Max. :)

I wish I knew when I got into the habit of writing novels of pointless rants. I've gone searching for old Usenet posts of mine from the early 90s when I was all of 7 or 8, and they were missives of equal length. Considering I expect just about every post of mine gets the tl;dr treatment, aside from scrolling through a wall of text the only folks who probably take issue are the hosts of the forum. I'm waiting for the bill for the terabytes of my ramblings clogging the server.

No, seriously.   When I have the time, it's great.   You and SSB.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #462: April 08, 2013, 11:25:34 PM »

Well, thanks then! Glad my growing bibliography on here isn't completely disregarded/despised. Although fair warning, expect the "Don't encourage him!" I've obviously missed my calling as an Op/Ed writer, but c'est la vie. Much appreciated, even if I really should try to cut down on the length once in a while.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #463: April 08, 2013, 11:29:25 PM »
Well, thanks then! Glad my growing bibliography on here isn't completely disregarded/despised. Although fair warning, expect the "Don't encourage him!" I've obviously missed my calling as an Op/Ed writer, but c'est la vie. Much appreciated, even if I really should try to cut down on the length once in a while.

I give ya crap but it's all good.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #464: April 09, 2013, 07:02:30 AM »
I'm the absolute first person to buy gadgets and gizmos when they prove beneficial. Got my first HD set in 99, first MP3 player in 99 (Diamond Rio, all of 16MB of space!!! That was like, ten songs at the most godawful bitrate imaginable.) Even though I'm an Apple hater, stood in line the day the first iPad came out. Had bought an old school tablet around 2005, a laptop with a swivel screen and stylus. Weighed about as much as a couple bricks. Heck, I've kept score of every game I go to digitally since 2007, first with a Palm device and later a tablet. I'll never forget when I preordered the first Tivo at Circuit City... A family member remarked how stupid it was to have a second box in addition to the cable receiver. Their response to my explanation, ''Why would you want to record tv shows?'

My point? I'm hardly some old fogey who longs for the good old days of horses and lanterns. When technological advancement has clear benefit, I'm the first one in line. Literally. That's why I just can't get behind this card - I want things that make life easier and cost me less time. I'm not going to be logging into their website unless I want to sell my ticket. I did so recently, and it's still a headache with apparently a separate site for ticket transactions and whatever new hub they have I'll eventually be forced to log into. I can't even use the ticket selling site on a tablet, so I can only imagine the fun and games of the "Your Card Is Your Ticket" site.

As things stand? I had no idea whether or not I even had a ticket to the exhibition game. Red Carpet Rewards? Absolutely bloody nothing through the mail. Considering how much the system has been gutted from my reading here, I haven't even taken the time to look it up yet and redeem. That's actually what prompted this latest Collirant, I can't believe they put out no further mailings beyond the box and card. Nothing on the exhibition, nothing on RCRs.

And their much touted benefits and promos on a game-by-game basis? I don't feel like logging into some damn site every game to find out what's new for that game on the card. The old system, you ripped your ticket out. Nice reminder of the date and time. If I accidently lost or dropped said ticket, I didn't lose my ticket to all 81 games; the hassle of canceling it/getting a new one. I don't even know what these promos folks go on about are, since I haven't logged into the site. I might come off as utterly delusional and insane saying this considering my lengthy posts/time taken writing them, but I value my time and want things as fast and straightforward as possible. Paper tickets, beyond the memento, were such a beast. Logging into some website 81 games a year, even just once a week, losing the mailings informing me about the RCR program, the 'bonus' tickets that included the Stars & Stripes two, promo item (With the date it would be redeemed), the STH event, my one-off 15% or whatever coupon? Gone. I got one page of hype and spin and the card.

Right down to the exhibition game, I shouldn't have to go searching for this crap. I get folks are trending toward being online 24/7, logging onto their Facebooks and Twittleedees hourly, but to quote the Turtles... that ain't me, babe. I'm sure the response is I'm an idiot for not logging in yet, but I shouldn't *have* to - shouldn't have to be doing more than I did last year to get the same amount of information. Last year I got all I needed in my physical mailbox, this year I'm clueless. They want to add stuff that requires me putting in more time then great, but don't make the basics harder and result in a dearth of information unless I go online. If the internet saves me time and effort (Buying crap through Amazon versus driving and walking the aisles), I'll advocate for it all night and day. This... doesn't. I only ever logged on to the STH site to sell games and redeem my RCRs. Given this equals more of my time spent doing something that before came via mail and was simplified, so far I'm not being won over with the march of progress for Nat's tickets.

I'm flabbergasted that they never so much as sent out a letter regarding the exhibition or RCRs... As rare as it is in our society, there are still *some* technophobes who don't so much as own a computer... Was a letter on either of those two things really that much of a hassle for the FO?

The new system saves me time. Much easier to to manage and distribute tickets and RCR points. For sure, it's not perfect, but I sure do see the potential.

I do worry that some technophobes (or just average computer users) are being left out though.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #465: April 09, 2013, 08:11:41 AM »
[...]I get folks are trending toward being online 24/7, logging onto their Facebooks and Twittleedees hourly, but to quote the Turtles... that ain't me, babe.[...]

Me neither.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #466: April 09, 2013, 08:31:48 AM »
The new system saves me time. Much easier to to manage and distribute tickets and RCR points. For sure, it's not perfect, but I sure do see the potential.

I do worry that some technophobes (or just average computer users) are being left out though.

Technophobes??? They claim to have tested this system for over a year and yet they seem to be having problems with the small users.  I'm guessing that their test audience was folks like you BiL, managing large groups of tickets and large number of share holders.
If it doesn't work out of the box (and this system clearly does not work for the small plan holder) my inclination is to wait until they seem to have fixed it. It sure ain't fixed yet...at least not for the little guys.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #467: April 09, 2013, 08:41:02 AM »

:smh:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #468: April 09, 2013, 08:43:04 AM »
Technophobes??? They claim to have tested this system for over a year and yet they seem to be having problems with the small users.  I'm guessing that their test audience was folks like you BiL, managing large groups of tickets and large number of share holders.
If it doesn't work out of the box (and this system clearly does not work for the small plan holder) my inclination is to wait until they seem to have fixed it. It sure ain't fixed yet...at least not for the little guys.

I am by no means excusing the crappy performance of the system so far. But I am saying I do see its potential and usefulness.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #470: April 09, 2013, 08:45:22 AM »
I am by no means excusing the crappy performance of the system so far. But I am saying I do see its potential and usefulness.

It's a major upgrade, albeit it should have been tested a bit more thoroughly.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #471: April 09, 2013, 08:46:46 AM »

They may yet work out the kinks in the system (fortunately since I'm only in it for the baseball, these problems don't affect me directly)...but for the nonce, Casey Stengel's saying still holds: 'Potential means you ain't done it yet'.

Offline eastie

« Reply #472: April 09, 2013, 08:49:53 AM »
The Yankees exhibition game is now available in the drop-down for the unused ticket exchange, but still nothing else from the first home stand.  Maybe we'll get a new game after every system upgrade ...

Is anybody in a situation where they are trying to share seats with somebody else who also has a season plan?  One of my group members has their own smaller game plan and is having a hell of a time trying to "link" the two accounts.  They don't seem to be able to rectify somebody with a single account being issued two sets of cards.  This has been going back and forth since last week.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #473: April 09, 2013, 09:01:59 AM »
Is anybody in a situation where they are trying to share seats with somebody else who also has a season plan?  One of my group members has their own smaller game plan and is having a hell of a time trying to "link" the two accounts.  They don't seem to be able to rectify somebody with a single account being issued two sets of cards.  This has been going back and forth since last week.

I have two full plans (4 seats and 2 seats) and have six cards. I have the ability to manage both plans simultaneously from one log in account, including RCR points, exchanges, etc.. It's not the exact same thing as your situation but they should be able to give your partner one log in to manage all his tickets. Having said that, when I buy extra tickets, they come up on My Nationals account but not on the card account.

This is why I did not issue cards to my partners this year (except for one person who wanted to be a guinea pig). I simply emailed them their tickets. Most of my partners would have crapped their pants over the frustration.

Offline eastie

« Reply #474: April 09, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
Most of my partners would have crapped their pants over the frustration.
The system seems designed with this success criterion in mind.

If you have two plans on a single account (meaning you are the owner of both) it seems to work.  If you are the primary on one account and a partner in another they don't seem compatible.  I can see where they built this into the system (Partner Management > Process Invite), it just doesn't seem to be implemented.