Author Topic: Washington Commanders - get used to it (2023)  (Read 9553 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Lots of chatter that Harris wants to rename the team to start fresh. Magic Johnson said yesterday that a rename is on the table.
ooohhh! could go to the red tails. The unis could be red on the pant seats.

Offline Natsinpwc

How about the Magic?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
How about the Magic?

I don't love Commanders, but i'm not sure what better names are out there. Hogs maybe? Red Tails is interesting but I don't think it would get fans excited. "FDS" would be the perfect name if they were willing to go there....

Online HalfSmokes

I don't love Commanders, but i'm not sure what better names are out there. Hogs maybe? Red Tails is interesting but I don't think it would get fans excited. "FDS" would be the perfect name if they were willing to go there....

Just go back to WFT. Commanders is terrible, most names just seem artificial.

Online imref

Just go back to WFT. Commanders is terrible, most names just seem artificial.

No, go with FDS

Officially it could be "Football Domination Squad"

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Wolves.

Offline 1995hoo

Lots of chatter that Harris wants to rename the team to start fresh. Magic Johnson said yesterday that a rename is on the table.

No matter what a lot of people might like, I think we can be extremely confident that the name Redskins is not coming back.

Online imref

the "FDS" chants at FedEx are going to happen for the next 20 years or so regardless of the team name, so why not go with it and make bank on the merchandise sales?

Offline GataNats

Hogs

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Presidents. That was the name of Washington's hockey team around 1960. The played at Uline Arena, owned by Mike Uline, and had been named the Washington Lions. Put a presidential seal on the helmets, but keep burgundy and gold.

Online HalfSmokes

I guess having only half the country hate them at any given time would be an improvement

Offline Natsinpwc

I guess having only half the country hate them at any given time would be an improvement
No one hates the WFT.  They are more of a joke.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
No one hates the WFT.  They are more of a joke.

Mostly true, but Cowboys "fans" (I use the term very loosely) who live in the DC area hate the Washington Football Commies like Dan Snyder hates having to show compassion for other human beings.

Offline blue911

Presidents. That was the name of Washington's hockey team around 1960. The played at Uline Arena, owned by Mike Uline, and had been named the Washington Lions. Put a presidential seal on the helmets, but keep burgundy and gold.

What was the name of the semi pro hockey team that played there?

Online imref

Washington Red Dermis?

Online imref

Long-time DC radio personality Don Geronimo fired after making incredibly sexist comments about a local reporter during a broadcast from Commander's training camp.

Online HalfSmokes

I liked Don and Mike, but that was middle school. I tried listening to the new show, and it just fell flat.

Offline machpost

I liked Don and Mike, but that was middle school. I tried listening to the new show, and it just fell flat.

Same. In the early 2000s, I never missed a show. Same with Howard Stern. Some of these aging shock jocks are capable of evolving into modern entertainers, and some end up on the fringe with online shows or podcasts that are listened to by 50 people.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Dropping in to drop a prediction. I think Jacoby Brissett has a really good, maybe 50/50, chance of starting this season.

Bieniemy and Rivera both need to do well this season. If the Commanders don't beat the Cardinals, 0-4 or 0-5 is a real possibility, and that almost certainly gets Ron fired and leave Bieniemy with no chance of turning next season into a head coaching job or a good OC role.

I think it is a safe assumption Brissett is better than Howell on day one. He was "fine" last year. I can see them convincing themselves Brissett is their day on ebest bet and they can turn him to Geno Smith. That his experience combined with good skill position talent is a safer bet than Howell.

I am not saying all that is right, but I can see it happening. Just calling a shot because why not.

Online HalfSmokes

Dropping in to drop a prediction. I think Jacoby Brissett has a really good, maybe 50/50, chance of starting this season.

Bieniemy and Rivera both need to do well this season. If the Commanders don't beat the Cardinals, 0-4 or 0-5 is a real possibility, and that almost certainly gets Ron fired and leave Bieniemy with no chance of turning next season into a head coaching job or a good OC role.

I think it is a safe assumption Brissett is better than Howell on day one. He was "fine" last year. I can see them convincing themselves Brissett is their day on ebest bet and they can turn him to Geno Smith. That his experience combined with good skill position talent is a safer bet than Howell.

I am not saying all that is right, but I can see it happening. Just calling a shot because why not.

I think Brissett almost guarantees Ron is fired. 1-4 with a dead end retread is actually worse than 0-5 with a potential qb. The only bet I have more on than the commanders under is the jets under

Offline Natsinpwc

It’s a new regime. Chances are they will move in a different direction after the season unless the team makes the playoffs.

Offline 1995hoo

You want a challenge, try this Sporcle quiz: Name every quarterback to start at least one game for the Redskins/Commanders franchise since 1980. I got 100%; average score is 54%. It's striking to note which players are #1 and #2 on the list.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/tk925/commandersqbs

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
71%  Not bad given that I didn't give a flying crap about the team from 2009 until the Snyder sale (and only started watching the NFL in 1997 :lol: ).

I could not for the life of me remember Case Keenum's name.  I sat there for two minutes thinking, "who was that guy who had a really good year with Minnesota and then turned into a pumpkin?"

Also, absolutely wild to think that the team had Rich Gannon, Trent Green, and Brad Johnson at different points in the 90s.  I remembered the latter two, but the first was just a tiny bit before my time.

Offline 1995hoo

71%  Not bad given that I didn't give a flying crap about the team from 2009 until the Snyder sale (and only started watching the NFL in 1997 :lol: ).

I could not for the life of me remember Case Keenum's name.  I sat there for two minutes thinking, "who was that guy who had a really good year with Minnesota and then turned into a pumpkin?"

Also, absolutely wild to think that the team had Rich Gannon, Trent Green, and Brad Johnson at different points in the 90s.  I remembered the latter two, but the first was just a tiny bit before my time.

I can't decide whether Mike Kruczek or Garrett Gilbert is the more obscure quarterback in the Washington context. The former had a strong rookie season for the Steelers subbing for an injured Terry Bradshaw; his main claim to fame, however, is that he won six games as the Steelers' starter without throwing a single touchdown pass and eventually retired with the most career pass attempts (154) without throwing a touchdown pass. The latter's best performances were with the Orlando Apollos of the Alliance of American Football—most of his NFL career has been spent on teams' practice squads and despite having been drafted in 2014, he's started a total of eight games, including one game for the OFKAR* in 2021. No question Kruczek is the less obscure of the two in the overall NFL context, but in the Washington-specific context, I don't know.

*OFKAR: "Organization Formerly Known as Redskins" (similar to "TAFKAP," "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince").