Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Jackson Rutledge, RHP  (Read 10774 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Jackson Rutledge, the Nationals’ 2019 first-round pick, is on the rise

By Andrew Golden

Lot's of interesting stuff in the linked article, including how the past 2 years put him on the cusp of the majors by finally being healthy.
“In order to pitch, you’ve got to be able to pitch,” Rutledge said last month. “So for me, not only really making every start, but getting deep in every start, no matter what happens … just being a sort of a workhorse in the rotation is kind of what I pride myself on. That’s the goal I want to have as somebody who gets deep into every game and keeps it competitive every game gets us a chance.”

Golden notes there will be an opportunity for starts later in the year as the Nats limit workloads for Gore, Gray, and Irvin.

Discusses his preparation.

He keeps track of all of it using a new addition to his routine — a notebook that has a dual purpose. Before a start, he likes to take data from pregame scouting reports and translate it as he heads into a game. He can refer to the notebook in between innings and add information as the game progresses. He also uses the notebook when he throws between starts. He wants to remember how he felt working on pitches and what he did during those sessions. He started this habit in the offseason after a few coaches recommended it, and now encourages other teammates to do the same.

Mentions how he started this offseason to try to develop a cutter to get in on lefty hitters hands, but it was acting like a slider that could not be used that way.  The pitch morfed into a refined slider he now uses against righties. while his old slider is now has more of a curveball action he can use against lefties along with a better commanded fastball.

“His breaking stuff, his curveball and slider, have both improved,” said De Jon Watson, the team’s director of player development. “And it’s really about the location and execution and really understanding where you are in that sequence of pitches. And I think that’s what he’s doing best, man. He’s understanding what he is and what the hitters are telling him and he’s trying to execute off that information that he’s gaining.”