Author Topic: Let's have a civil discussion about Rick Eckstein  (Read 5470 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
So Eckstein get's another free pass, is what you're saying. The guy has been our hitting coach for five years. We've complained year after year about how our offense craps the bed more often than not. I'd rather bring in new blood to change the scenery.
Eckstein was the same hitting coach we had last season in the second half when our offense was turning it up every night. Should he get credit for coaching adjustments from the first half? If he was a bad assistant then Riggleman or Davey would have fired him. Again, I don't think he's the issue, but I wouldn't be sad to see him go. If Don Mattingly can't help Matt Kemp improve then I don't know what unemployed hitting coach can jump in here and improve the team.

I can understand how someone would be frustrated and angry at Rizzo more so than I do blaming the coaches. Difference of opinion.

Offline sportsfan882

How do you explain the Nats inability to make adjustments offensively? Ray Knight broke it down last night to a tee.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Maybe Ray Knight should be the hitting coach then ...

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
How do you explain the Nats inability to make adjustments offensively? Ray Knight broke it down last night to a tee.
Then Ray Knight can head down to the clubhouse and share his opinion. Everyone has all the answers until they're in position to have to make the call.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Mattionals - Span saw 3.89 pitches per plate appearance last year, while this year he's seeing 3.90.  Last year he was .283 / .342 / .395.  I don't think the extra .01 pitches per plate appearance is the key to the .019 / .023 / .036 drop in his BA / OBP / SLG.  On the other hand, it probably is not just BABIP, either, as that has only dropped .009.  Strikeout % is slightly up (10.9% to 12.6%) and BB% is down (8.3% to 7.1%), so it isn't so much taking more pitches as perhaps losing a bit of his strike zone judgment.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Mattionals - Span saw 3.89 pitches per plate appearance last year, while this year he's seeing 3.90.  Last year he was .283 / .342 / .395.  I don't think the extra .01 pitches per plate appearance is the key to the .019 / .023 / .036 drop in his BA / OBP / SLG.  On the other hand, it probably is not just BABIP, either, as that has only dropped .009.  Strikeout % is slightly up (10.9% to 12.6%) and BB% is down (8.3% to 7.1%), so it isn't so much taking more pitches as perhaps losing a bit of his strike zone judgment.

Or how about, he just over achieved last year. One and a half seasons of hitting in the .260s prior to that.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Eckstein was the same hitting coach we had last season in the second half when our offense was turning it up every night. Should he get credit for coaching adjustments from the first half? If he was a bad assistant then Riggleman or Davey would have fired him. Again, I don't think he's the issue, but I wouldn't be sad to see him go. If Don Mattingly can't help Matt Kemp improve then I don't know what unemployed hitting coach can jump in here and improve the team.

I can understand how someone would be frustrated and angry at Rizzo more so than I do blaming the coaches. Difference of opinion.

Obviously it's a difference of opinion but with a team like the Nationals, who on paper should be killing it offensively, are struggling more often than not then it's time to move on. The guy was here during the worst days of this team and is now here with the "best days". Some can say that our offense was solely weak back in the "worst days" because of the roster but I don't take that stance. We still had guys like Zimmerman, Dunn, and Willingham who are all capable of killing the ball. It seems like the way this offense produces runs hasn't changed at all over the years. We'll break out for a short stint and then we'll dwindle back into our 0-2 run games. Plus, we make pitchers (especially weak ones) look like Cy Young candidates more than any other team. (I don't have facts to back this up but it seems like we do) The player's deserve most of the blame since they're the ones hitting but I would love to get someone new in there to switch it up a bit because this obviously isn't working.

Offline PC

Denard Span grounding out to the second baseman FOUR times was the crowning achievement of managerial/coaching incompetence last night.  You couldn't have drawn a more stark picture of a team's inability to make adjustments than this.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Denard Span grounding out to the second baseman FOUR times was the crowning achievement of managerial/coaching incompetence last night.  You couldn't have drawn a more stark picture of a team's inability to make adjustments than this.
Actually you did a really good job blasting the coaches as terrible when you guaranteed a loss against Jason Marquis.

Offline Mattionals

Hmm, I actually did more work than just mindfacting and in 2009 he was taking 4.5 pitches per AB.  That's ludicrous!  Anyway, that proves your point about that not being the problem.  What is the problem is how overmatched he is on fastballs and sinkers this year.  I'm really starting to see that Denard was probably just a bad pickup offensively.  He really isn't a leadoff hitter and really should be moved down to the 8 hole.  Unfortunately, the Nats still don't have a true leadoff guy and I don't think Werth wants to move up again to that spot.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I'm not sure that any hitting coach can make a huge difference. Ted Williams changed the 1969 Senators (one of our benchmark Washington teams), but I can't think of any serious hitting coach before Williams began working with Frank Howard and Eddie Brinkman and that team. Charlie Lau became famous, but later. Now?

If a hitting coach is that important, lets find and hire the hitting coach for the Yankees in the late '90s...whoever that was.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
I'm not sure that any hitting coach can make a huge difference. Ted Williams changed the 1969 Senators (one of our benchmark Washington teams), but I can't think of any serious hitting coach before Williams began working with Frank Howard and Eddie Brinkman and that team. Charlie Lau became famous, but later. Now?

If a hitting coach is that important, lets find and hire the hitting coach for the Yankees in the late '90s...whoever that was.
Chris Chambliss and he was the Mariners' hitting coach last season and was not retained so he's a free agent.  Go get him!!!

Offline ajcartwright

Maybe Ray Knight should be the hitting coach then ...

:clap:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Chris Chambliss and he was the Mariners' hitting coach last season and was not retained so he's a free agent.  Go get him!!!

Then Chambliss it is! A smooth hitter, good fielder, and classy ballplayer...as well as hitting coach for the model modern teams: everybody hit...the teams did not depend on somebody hitting a homer.