Author Topic: Luis Garcia Aspirations / Trepidations Thread  (Read 6733 times)

Offline van lingle mungo

He split his time at Harrisburg in 2019 between ss(93g) and 2b(38g). He's also played some 2b for the Nats.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

House will never play SS in the majors. He will be our 3B.

Maybe 3B or maybe even RF. He throws 90mph and is up to 6'4". Here's a more complete defensive profile from the draft. His defense hasn't been covered much this year; every updated article or update that I've seen just contains some of the information here

A shortstop now, House has proven to be a better defender than scouts anticipated considering his size. Most expect that he’ll move off the position in the long run, but he has solid hands and reactions, as well as an impressive internal clock, body control and athleticism that allow him to make difficult plays. He does have the tools to be a solid defender at shortstop or a very good one at third base, but there’s no reason to move him off short until a superior defender forces him off or until his lack of elite quick-twitch mobility becomes prohibitive.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/14/luis-garcia-nationals/

discusses Luis Garcia's love of swinging and not taking pitches.  Comments point out he has 2 walks in 154 plate appearance, which is how a guy with a .302 batting average can have only a .312 OBP.  Begs the question of why Davey has started to hit him leadoff.  As another brilliant comment by an amazingly sharp and handsome commenter points out a couple of times in the comments, seems like this guy should be hitting third between Soto and Bell. That's a spot where contact and balls in play matter more than walk skills. No doubt now Garcia is one of the top 5 hitters on the team, but #3 or #5 seem to be better spots, at least under SABR theories of batting order construction. 

Admittedly, this team may simply lack a leadoff hitter. Somebody has to do it, and it probably not Soto, Bell, or Cruz.  Keibert isn't an ideal candidate either, but he seems more disciplined than Garcia. 

He soon entered Thursday swinging at 58.2 percent of pitches, tied for 14th highest among major leaguers with at least 100 plate appearances. His swing rate on pitches outside of the strike zone, 47.1 percent, ranked fifth. So his response, however coy, was really no surprise.

“For me, it’s pretty simple,” García said. “I just love to swing.”

García is not the archetype of a leadoff hitter. Sure, he often batted first in the lower rungs of the minors. But up here, clubs often desire speed, plate discipline and someone who works long at-bats, helping his teammates see pitches before their first crack at a starter.

Offline Duke of Earl

Admittedly, this team may simply lack a leadoff hitter. Somebody has to do it, and it probably not Soto, Bell, or Cruz.  Keibert isn't an ideal candidate either, but he seems more disciplined than Garcia. 

It's definitely not Cruz.  Or Kiebert or Garcia.  Maybe Bell.

I'm not too sure Soto isn't the best choice.   Leadoff guy has to take pitches, and has to get on base.  That's all that really matters, except if he also hits alot of homeruns,  bat him second and get someone else for leadoff who gets on base and maybe doesn't hit so many homeruns.  But there isn't anyone who fits that description. What's the point of batting him second or third if nobody is getting on ahead of him?  And as for homeruns, he hits one in 20 plate appearances. That's not an unreasonably high rate for a leadoff man.

And batting Soto leadoff, we might see more production from our eight and nine batters.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
They're going to ruin him.

His bat is sliding and I have to think part of that is mental with the issues with the glove.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
What. No. He didnt need any more time in the minors, remember?

Offline Natsinpwc

In the two previous games before Friday he went 3 for 9.  Hrs fine hitting. Defense is another story.

Offline Mattionals

They should just move him to 2B.

Offline van lingle mungo

Offline Slateman

.203/.211/.246 in the month of July

Offline Natsinpwc

Called a slump I think.

Offline Natsinpwc

I guess you reverse jinx worked.

Offline Slateman

I guess all I gotta do is talk crap about a guy.

Offline Natsinpwc

Who's your next target?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Who's your next target?
:PUTIN!:

But he has to praise him.  Something like, "that Moskva is a heck of a ship, and the beaches on Snake Island are great!"

Offline Slateman

Who's your next target?
Erick Fedde sucks

Offline Natsinpwc

Erick Fedde sucks
Need to find the Fedde thread for the correct juju. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Make fun of Josh Bell!

Offline Slateman

Garcia at shortstop is not a viable option

Offline Five Banners

Reminiscent of Desmond staying there over and over

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Luis Garcia Aspirations / Trepidations Thread
« Reply #95: August 01, 2022, 10:02:29 AM »
It will be interesting to see if we get an MLB-ready SS back in any of the deadline deals.  If yes, then the Garcia experiment ends and he's moved, most likely to second but possibly to 3rd to begin another experiment.  If Soto is dealt and it is to the Padres or LAD, I'd imagine either Abrams or possibly Lux would move him, but if it is to the Cards for Gorman or Walker, I'd think Garcia stays at SS at least through this season.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #96: August 01, 2022, 10:04:11 AM »
Who are the free agent shortstops this off-season? (Aside from Trea)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #97: August 01, 2022, 10:04:56 AM »
Who are the free agent shortstops this off-season? (Aside from Trea)
Dansby Swanson.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #98: August 01, 2022, 10:13:44 AM »
Dansby Swanson.

Hmmm. Swanson plays for a solid team that competes year after year, just like Trea. Perhaps the best fit would be a shortstop coming from another bottom-feeder club.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99: August 01, 2022, 10:23:37 AM »
Correa and Xander are also likely to exercise opt outs.