Author Topic: The Leeches of Baltimore (2024)  (Read 2132 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: The Leeches of Baltimore (2024)
« Reply #50: April 04, 2024, 01:36:47 PM »
Their ability to draft and develop hitters since Mike Elias came along is remarkable.

It also helped them that they tanked, cynically, before the latest MLB-MLBPA agreement, and that they count themselves as a small market team sharing MLB revenue from big-market teams. Like Washington, which also shares TV revenues with them. Send the Brownies back to Saint Louis! Give Baltimore a minor league team. "There are no baseball fans there"!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #51: April 05, 2024, 09:33:56 PM »
The Tides' pitching is almost as awful as their hitting is great. They scored ten in the first tonight, and are currently in a 10-10 tie in the 6th. Another HR for Kjerstad. He has 6 already this year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #52: April 09, 2024, 10:52:06 PM »
They’re calling up Holliday. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #53: April 10, 2024, 08:42:21 AM »
They’re calling up Holliday. 
are they far enough into the year that he does not get a full year service time if he's not RotY?

Offline imref

« Reply #54: April 10, 2024, 09:10:36 AM »
are they far enough into the year that he does not get a full year service time if he's not RotY?
he gets a full year and the Orioles are eligible for benefits if he finishes top three in RoY voting.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #55: April 10, 2024, 09:25:46 AM »
I believe this sets him up for Super Two status as well.

Offline imref

« Reply #56: April 10, 2024, 12:11:47 PM »
i saw earlier on twitter that people were labeling Holliday as a future all-star at age 13.  Harper-like expectations.

And his younger brother is supposed to be better.

Holliday got permission from the Ripken family to wear #7. The last two to wear it were Cal Sr. (as a manager) and Billy Ripken.

Here's a crazy stat: Holliday ranks 6th on the Tides in OPS.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #57: April 10, 2024, 01:12:30 PM »
Haven’t seen this much excitement over an IF prospect since Gregg Jeffries. 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #58: April 10, 2024, 05:32:00 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't wait until Friday night's home game for his debut. Generate excitement and sell tickets like they did for Wieters. I gotta believe Angelos would of.

Offline welch

« Reply #59: April 10, 2024, 06:45:53 PM »
Haven’t seen this much excitement over an IF prospect since Gregg Jeffries. 

Himself!!! My Little League kids were flocking to get a Gregg Jeffries rookie card.

Move the Browns back to Saint Louis.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #60: April 11, 2024, 10:45:18 AM »
I'm surprised they didn't wait until Friday night's home game for his debut. Generate excitement and sell tickets like they did for Wieters. I gotta believe Angelos would of.

If they waited til Saturday he'd also need to place top 2 in RoY voting to earn a year of service time.   

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #61: April 11, 2024, 10:18:44 PM »
Mike Elias drafted 5 of Baltimore’s 9 starting position players in tonight’s lineup, plus their starting pitcher.All drafted since he got there in 2019.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62: April 12, 2024, 10:31:20 AM »
Mike Elias drafted 5 of Baltimore’s 9 starting position players in tonight’s lineup, plus their starting pitcher.All drafted since he got there in 2019.
I almost can't wait until they come out with a book on Elias's build of that team. Considering how tight the money was and the horrendous ownership situation, what he's done and what they've done in scouting and development beats anything Beane, Epstein, or Lunow did.

You almost wonder if Rubenstein switched from pursuing the Nats to buying the O's in order to buy Elias rather than Rizzo.

Offline imref

« Reply #63: April 16, 2024, 11:17:04 PM »
Getting harder and harder to hate the O’s now:

https://twitter.com/orioles/status/1780317798599684132/

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #64: April 16, 2024, 11:35:38 PM »
Getting harder and harder to hate the O’s now:

https://twitter.com/orioles/status/1780317798599684132/

The leeching continues, and even when it ends, how long has it left its mark? I’m fine with ignoring them if the leeching stops, and could even rank them slightly above the current-era Asterisks as far as reduced loathsomeness, but let’s not get carried away. (And we’re talking levels of annoyance versus hate.)

Then again, what would non-baseball fans like us know, given what someone reportedly asserted: "There are no baseball fans in Washington, D.C. That's a fiction."

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #65: April 17, 2024, 06:24:35 AM »
Their team with championship aspirations is still drawing less than the tanking nats. Maybe there are no baseball fans in Baltimore?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #66: April 17, 2024, 08:03:01 AM »
Their team with championship aspirations is still drawing less than the tanking nats. Maybe there are no baseball fans in Baltimore?
They’re hard workers in Baltimore. Need to get up the next morning.  And don’t want their kids to be tired and let for school.  ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #67: April 17, 2024, 09:52:29 AM »
They’re hard workers in Baltimore. Need to get up the next morning.  And don’t want their kids to be tired and let for school.  ;)
The detour of all that traffic might make driving there just too much of a pain in the ass. Kind of like trying to get to Nats Park from the GW Parkway. A complete pain in the ass.

Offline welch

« Reply #68: April 18, 2024, 03:56:30 PM »
Bush league Baltimore Oriole fans.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #69: April 19, 2024, 12:56:26 AM »

Metro Baltimore has less than half as many people as Metro DC.  It's more or less got minor league demographics.  Keep in mind ticket prices are much lower up there as well.  They've got $50 seats where Nats Park has $300+ Terra Club seats. 

Can't say enough good things about Mike Elias, and Rubenstein is a massive upgrade at owner, but they can't get people to move to the Baltimore region.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: April 19, 2024, 09:36:58 AM »
Metro Baltimore has less than half as many people as Metro DC.  It's more or less got minor league demographics.  Keep in mind ticket prices are much lower up there as well.  They've got $50 seats where Nats Park has $300+ Terra Club seats. 

Can't say enough good things about Mike Elias, and Rubenstein is a massive upgrade at owner, but they can't get people to move to the Baltimore region.
at this point, they've had a team for 70 years. That's longer than LA, SF, Queens, Atlanta, Houston, Anaheim, Minneapolis-St Paul, KC if you don't count the Monarchs, Seattle, Milwaukee, Tampa, Toronto, Dallas-Fort Worth, St Pete, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego - that's more than half of MLB. To refer to them as interlopers on traditional Washington territory is unsympathetic and ahistoric. When they arrived, nobody went from DC or even it's near suburbs up I-95 and across town to Memorial Stadium. They are much more similar to Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and other traditional baseball cities that may not be prime markets under current demographics and even less desirable than say Nashville, Charlotte, or Salt Lake City.

For Baltimore, the maybe just wish to Fleetwood Mac them: You can go your own way. That means renegotiate MASN (I think if Ted wants both rights, fine, buy them, otherwise break it up), then be as viable as your marketing supports.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #71: April 19, 2024, 01:26:19 PM »
at this point, they've had a team for 70 years. That's longer than LA, SF, Queens, Atlanta, Houston, Anaheim, Minneapolis-St Paul, KC if you don't count the Monarchs, Seattle, Milwaukee, Tampa, Toronto, Dallas-Fort Worth, St Pete, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego - that's more than half of MLB.

Their population rank has fallen dramatically over the last 100 years, they're barely a top 30 media market now, and they've had a net loss of population during the 2020 in their metro area, not just Baltimore City.  Many of the cities you list overtook them and deserve teams, as do many markets like Charlotte, Nashville, Salt Lake, Indy, and others that don't have teams have all surpassed Baltimore in media market rank.   Louisville once had a team before all the cities you list, doesn't mean they deserve one now. 

They're arguably one of the best, most exciting teams in the league, yet after a 100 win season barely grew their season ticket base.   I'm sure their attendance will grow during the summer, especially with the low ticket prices, but if you were starting a new league today, they'd be AAA all the way.

Offline welch

« Reply #72: April 19, 2024, 05:55:50 PM »
Baltimore did not deserve the Browns. Bill Veeck wanted to move his team to Kansas City, and hoped that radio fans from west of Saint Louis would take up the KC Browns. Unfortunately, owners hated Veeck, so they blocked him.

In 1954, Baltimore's metro area was about 2/3 the size of the DC area, and maybe less. However, Washington was a city of government workers, of GS-this or that's who read Bill Gold's "The District Line" in the Post to see which agency had openings. The Nats were owned by the Griffith family, which had no income except from the ball team. Baltimore had industry, and industry owners. A beer family, the Hoffbergers, were allowed to buy the Browns. Baltimore's industry died away, while Washington kept growing because the Federal government does not suffer from recessions. In addition, the government drew computer professionals, so the boss of the computer division at GE found that there were more "software engineers" in the DC area than anywhere else in the US. He moved his division to Bethesda and then to Rockville, and then to Gaithersburg. Other companies saw the same thing and moved to I-270 and to Northern Virginia. Nothing moved to Baltimore.

The Griffiths hoped that fans would drive the Baltimore-Washington Parkway to Senators-Orioles games, and there was a rivalry from 1954 onward. Washington kids learned about "the Bush League Baltimore Orioles". Best I remember, the Orioles drew from Baltimore City and County, but not from Anne Arundel, Howard, or Frederick counties. The big Maryland counties, Montgomery and PG, were full of Nats fans.

Offhand, I don't think Baltimore drafted especially well, given that they picked near the top year after year as they tanked.

Baltimore woould be a good AAA town for the Nationals.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #73: April 19, 2024, 06:14:23 PM »
at this point, they've had a team for 70 years. That's longer than LA, SF, Queens, Atlanta, Houston, Anaheim, Minneapolis-St Paul, KC if you don't count the Monarchs, Seattle, Milwaukee, Tampa, Toronto, Dallas-Fort Worth, St Pete, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego - that's more than half of MLB. To refer to them as interlopers on traditional Washington territory is unsympathetic and ahistoric. When they arrived, nobody went from DC or even it's near suburbs up I-95 and across town to Memorial Stadium. They are much more similar to Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and other traditional baseball cities that may not be prime markets under current demographics and even less desirable than say Nashville, Charlotte, or Salt Lake City.

For Baltimore, the maybe just wish to Fleetwood Mac them: You can go your own way. That means renegotiate MASN (I think if Ted wants both rights, fine, buy them, otherwise break it up), then be as viable as your marketing supports.

Looks like you're talking to a wall.  The two posts above mine are some real "old man yelling at cloud" bs.  Cognitive biases front and center.

I strongly disliked them when Angelos owned the team, but at this point the animosity is pretty much gone, especially if they let the Nats out of the MASN deal.  You do have the subset of salty Baltimorons who hate the Nats, and the hell with them, but I don't see much of a difference between them and the weird Washington Command-skins fans who hate the Ravens for no real reason except obvious jealousy.

Offline welch

« Reply #74: April 19, 2024, 06:26:59 PM »
Looks like you're talking to a wall.  The two posts above mine are some real "old man yelling at cloud" bs.  Cognitive biases front and center.

I strongly disliked them when Angelos owned the team, but at this point the animosity is pretty much gone, especially if they let the Nats out of the MASN deal.  You do have the subset of salty Baltimorons who hate the Nats, and the hell with them, but I don't see much of a difference between them and the weird Washington Command-skins fans who hate the Ravens for no real reason except obvious jealousy.

It is the natural rivalry. Of course, Peter Angelos would decide to force the New Nats into the NL. Washington Baseball, founding team of the American League. Washington Redskin fans against Baltimore Colts / Ravens...the same. Like Yankees-Red Sox, or Yankees-Mets/Giants/Dodgers.