Author Topic: Offseason moves unrelated to the Nats  (Read 23927 times)

Offline sph274

Re: Offseason moves unrelated to the Nats
« Reply #200: December 04, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »

A wild card in all this might be whether they can get salary relief for A-Rod.  If they can, then they perhaps can go out and make more signings and stay under $189MM for 2014.  they have Vernon Wells coming off the books after next year, so even one year of salary relief from A-rod frees up about $20 MM in longer term commitments out to 2017.  Maybe they sit tight on pitching and grab some late unsigned guys once the A-Rod suspension is cleared up.

the angels are paying 18.6 million of Vernon Wells' salary and the Cubs are paying $13 million of Soriano's. Right now they have 158.8 million committed salary for 2014 including Arod. If they can get a year off from Arod they can easily resign Cano. They have been over the cap for years now and are really just trying to reset their clock. They are insanely profitable and don't really need to be under it, but would like to be. So without Arod's salary, they are only at $133.8 million for next year making the acquisition of Cano and Tanaka quite doable. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #201: December 04, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
Angels are on the hook for all but about $1-2MM of Wells?  That's huge.  Then there really is no flexibility issue for Cano alone.  As for Tanaka and Cano, I suppose some of it will come down to how the posting system is revised.

I agree with you that the target is to reset this year.  Isn't there some extra incentives this year in terms of league revenue distribution that depends on 2014 in particular?

Offline blue911

« Reply #202: December 04, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »
Angels are on the hook for all but about $1-2MM of Wells?  That's huge.  Then there really is no flexibility issue for Cano alone.  As for Tanaka and Cano, I suppose some of it will come down to how the posting system is revised.

I agree with you that the target is to reset this year.  Isn't there some extra incentives this year in terms of league revenue distribution that depends on 2014 in particular?

I think it has to do with the local TV revenue pool money.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #203: December 04, 2013, 10:44:38 AM »

Wells is "free" this year, luxury-tax wise.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #204: December 04, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »
MLBTR says the D-Backs are hunting for an ace-level pitcher and a power bat.  I hope we don't end up shipping Zimmermann out there.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #205: December 04, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/latest-on-the-posting-system-negotiations.html#disqus_thread

it looks like crappy teams will be able to block NPB players coming over. Would there be anything to prevent houston from just bidding the maximum on the next Tanaka then offering him a minor league deal?

MLB negotiators' latest proposal for the posting system would establish a maximum bid and include a provision prioritizing teams with low records, Sponichi reports (Japanese link). Under the plan, multiple teams could submit the maximum bid for a player, with negotiating rights going to the club that had the lowest winning precentage that year. Nippon Professional Baseball was scheduled to discuss the proposal in a meeting with the 12 NPB teams on Tuesday.

Last month, the two sides nearly reached an agreement that would have seen the Japanese team paid a posting fee equal to the midpoint between the top two bids. However, this arrangement was ultimately rejected by MLB because of opposition by small-market teams, which insisted that the posting fee be counted against the luxury tax.

As the article notes, this new proposal and its maximum bid could encourage greater participation among small-market teams. A marquee name like Masahiro Tanaka is all but off-limits for low-revenue clubs under the current system, which can require teams to pay more than $50MM just to get to the negotiating table. Small-market owners are therefore likely to drop their luxury tax-related demands if a scheme that gives priority to lower-ranking teams is on offer, Sponichi reports. However, winning teams are certain to oppose the plan because it would greatly reduce their chances of securing negotiating rights. It's also unclear how the proposal would be received by the 12 Japanese teams, which would appear to gain little by agreeing to a system with a maximum bid.

Online imref

« Reply #206: December 04, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »
Granderson / Mets talking a 3 year deal.

Online imref

« Reply #207: December 04, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »
if you look at their infield, you have random guy filling in at third, a decrepit jeter at ss, a hole at second, a rapidly declining Teix at first and a hole at DH. Without Cano, they'll be lucky to 50 home runs between the hole group

i'm thinking Gardner is trade bait now with Ellsbury?

Offline PC

« Reply #208: December 04, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »
That new posting rule is terrible. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #209: December 04, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »
That new posting rule is terrible.

Tanaka's team was the only team to vote against it. Don't count on him being posted

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #210: December 04, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
Tanaka's team was the only team to vote against it. Don't count on him being posted

I wonder who the first player will be that prefers the NPB to the Astros or Fish

Offline blue911

« Reply #211: December 04, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »
I wonder who the first player will be that prefers the NPB to the Astros or Fish

Hiroki Kuroda

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #212: December 04, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
So now with a $20 million max bid and teams matching that being able to get in a FA war for the player I bet every team will put in a bid.  There's no reason not too.

Offline blue911

« Reply #213: December 04, 2013, 07:42:05 PM »
So now with a $20 million max bid and teams matching that being able to get in a FA war for the player I bet every team will put in a bid.  There's no reason not too.

There is also less of an incentive for a team to post a player until his last year.

Offline blue911

« Reply #214: December 05, 2013, 07:07:24 AM »
Yankees sign Kelly Johnson. 1yr/$3M. I like this signing.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #215: December 05, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/latest-on-the-posting-system-negotiations.html#disqus_thread

it looks like crappy teams will be able to block NPB players coming over. Would there be anything to prevent houston from just bidding the maximum on the next Tanaka then offering him a minor league deal?

Benefits the players the most. Now other teams will offer larger offers.

Offline blue911

« Reply #216: December 05, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »

That is what was originally reported but isn't true. The player will be able to negotiate with all teams that match the highest bid. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #217: December 05, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
That is what was originally reported but isn't true. The player will be able to negotiate with all teams that match the highest bid. 

So the reform to help small markets compete,  just means they advance to the next stage before getting blown out?  Great for the player though if they can negotiate with multiple teams

Offline blue911

« Reply #218: December 05, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
So the reform to help small markets compete,  just means they advance to the next stage before getting blown out?  Great for the player though if they can negotiate with multiple teams

It's really a crappy deal but what one would expect from Bud.

Online Slateman

« Reply #219: December 05, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »

Benefits the players but puts the teams on the same footing they are now.

Honestly, if you're a team bidding, why would you bid under 20 million? You know someone else is too. Now you get to negotiate what you're willing to pay.

Offline PC

« Reply #220: December 05, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
Benefits the players but puts the teams on the same footing they are now.

Honestly, if you're a team bidding, why would you bid under 20 million? You know someone else is too. Now you get to negotiate what you're willing to pay.

The Lerners would bid under $20 million. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #221: December 05, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »

I don't think they'll ever bid period.

Offline PC

« Reply #222: December 05, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
I don't think they'll ever bid period.

I mean generally...but why wouldn't they bid?  If he doesn't select their offer, they get the bid back.  There's no cost in making a bid and then having someone else sign the player.

I would expect every team to make the $20 million bid....except the Lerners.

Offline blue911

« Reply #223: December 05, 2013, 01:03:39 PM »
I mean generally...but why wouldn't they bid?  If he doesn't select their offer, they get the bid back.  There's no cost in making a bid and then having someone else sign the player.

I would expect every team to make the $20 million bid....except the Lerners.

Because it's money that doesn't go directly into improving the team. Kind of like how the Steinbrenners don't mind a $200M payroll but the $2.2M luxury tax drives them crazy.

Online Slateman

« Reply #224: December 05, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »

Then what does it matter? If they would bid under 20 million, they'd still lose the bidding no matter if it was uncapped or not.

Because it's money that doesn't go directly into improving the team. Kind of like how the Steinbrenners don't mind a $200M payroll but the $2.2M luxury tax drives them crazy.
They only pay the bid if they sign the player. Thus, the money goes directly to improving the team. It's, essentially, part of the contract.