Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2012)  (Read 197957 times)

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #800: June 15, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »

or maybe that it takes years to learn and on a major league team with playoff aspirations may not be the best time

That's not why it is for me - I'm not sure the learning curve for RF is that much less than it is for CF - Lombo, Soriano, Morse, Harper, Espinosa and lots of others sort of show that if you're talented enough at baseball to play at the MLB level, you can generally handle a position switch with relative ease - maybe you won't be a gold glover, but you can at least fight it to a draw.

To me, the thing that worries me about Harper as a long-term CF option is the increased likelihood of injury - you do a lot more running in CF than you do in the corners - you dive more too and have responsibility to get to more balls.  That's extra wear and tear on the body.  Besides that, it's totally possible that he's got some more growing to do physically - if he gets much bigger, he may be better suited to a corner. 

In some senses, it's almost sad that his arm is as good as it is - I'd love to see him with a 1b mitt, but it would be wasting both his speed now and his arm.

By the way, my mancrush quote of the day is this:

“I think I have another level, absolutely,” Harper said. “I’m not hitting .300. I’m not doing what Trout’s doing. Trout’s hitting .350, .360, so he’s blowing my numbers away.

I love that he's looking at Trout and thinking "I can do that or better."  He also very quickly followed that up with the right "Just happy to help the team win," point, so it's not like he was me-focused.   Great ballplayer. Solid citizen.

EDIT:  I have JCA on ignore.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #801: June 15, 2012, 11:17:46 AM »
Nah, I justthink like Dr. Nick.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #802: June 15, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »
Because he's not a CF'er.

He's a corner OF'er playing dress up as a CF'er.

So is Josh Hamilton. But I would still love to have him in CF

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #803: June 15, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
He's actually doing more than Trout did at age 19...

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #804: June 15, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
He's actually doing more than Trout did at age 19...

yeah, what did trout do?  didn't he bat like .220?

Offline panthers30

« Reply #805: June 15, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
yeah, what did trout do?  didn't he bat like .220?

Yep.  Although Trout got significantly less playing time at 19 than Harper has been getting.  Still, it makes comparing them RIGHT NOW kind of dumb.  The learning experience Trout got last year is invaluable.

Anyone notice the trend of Jim Caple hating on Harper at every opportunity?

Some examples-

in the MLB franchise player draft done by ESPN, this was Caple's comment:
Why Caple picked Trout: "Ten years is such an eternity in baseball that I'm tempted to go with Jamie Moyer, who at least has proven his longevity. To make sure the player is still young enough to be worth my investment in another decade, I'll take a risk by picking an unproven 20-year-old who is the best prospect in the majors, even if the national media is too busy overhyping someone in D.C. to notice him.”

another article

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/caple-120523/a-plea-back-bryce-harper-hype

and there is another article discussing Trout where he throws in a snide little backhanded comment about Harper.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #806: June 15, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »
I shudder at the prospect of the media overkill if Bryce Harper ever dates a Kardashian. Or is discovered to be related to Tim Tebow. Or plays for the Red Sox or Yankees. Or, heaven forbid, gets his batting average up to .280 with three home runs.

:lmao:

Trout is a beast no doubt, but Harper is blowing away what he (and basically every other teenaged player) did at Harper's age. Haters gonna hate.

Offline panthers30

« Reply #807: June 15, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
:lmao:

Trout is a beast no doubt, but Harper is blowing away what he (and basically every other teenaged player) did at Harper's age. Haters gonna hate.

I love how he keeps bringing up BA like it even matters.

I read a stat the other day that said Carlos Pena, who is hitting around <.200, has reached base just a few times less than Andrew McCutchen who is hitting .320+.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #808: June 15, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
I love how he keeps bringing up BA like it even matters.

I read a stat the other day that said Carlos Pena, who is hitting around <.200, has reached base just a few times less than Andrew McCutchen who is hitting .320+.

I was in an argument with someone who thought Jose Bautista wasn't an elite hitter simply because of his BA. People get stuck in their ways.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #809: June 15, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »
The funny part is Harper is doing what he's done at every level: initial struggle and the dominating

Offline heeman82

« Reply #810: June 16, 2012, 08:11:28 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been posted.  Saw a rack of these at Dick's last night.. brought back memories of 1991 wearing a Bo Knows shirt in my third grade class photo.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #811: June 16, 2012, 09:51:55 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been posted.  Saw a rack of these at Dick's last night.. brought back memories of 1991 wearing a Bo Knows shirt in my third grade class photo.

Thanks for making me feel old!  Third grade in 1991?   :(

Offline madj55

« Reply #812: June 16, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »
Thanks for making me feel old!  Third grade in 1991?   :(

Harper wasn't even born yet.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #813: June 16, 2012, 12:56:57 PM »
Harper wasn't even born yet.

I was 2.

...yeah Harper just one-upped me.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #814: June 16, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
For those who missed it the first time around, here's a great article about Harper, including an interview with him and his dad, which first appeared in the Washington Post magazine about 16 months ago:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/for-the-love-of-bryce-harper/2011/01/17/ABbi9SP_story_2.html

It really shows how much he loves baseball,  and details how he's been a baseball prodigy since age 3.   It also describes him as a "devout Mormon" who has never had a drink, and his dad discusses the lifelong National vs. Yankee issue (saying "I want him to be a National for the rest of his life.").  Funny how some related issues have been in the "news" (Twitter) lately.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #815: June 16, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
Harper with the toughest stretch of his young career so far.  0-7 today with 5 k's and looked silly several times against Pettite.  Also got way too heated at the plate and nearly got himself tossed.  Yesterday he was (understandably) too excited.  Today, he showed his youth.

Offline PC

« Reply #816: June 16, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP

Bryce Harper declined to talk to reporters after today's 0 for 7 performance. "I've never seen him chase balls out of the zone," Davey said

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #817: June 16, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
He accomplished the rare olympic rings but this may help him remain grounded.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #818: June 17, 2012, 12:01:40 AM »
Just needs to settle down and play HIS game. This is where vets come in to help him out

Offline Fan037

« Reply #819: June 17, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »
For those who missed it the first time around, here's a great article about Harper, including an interview with him and his dad, which first appeared in the Washington Post magazine about 16 months ago:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/for-the-love-of-bryce-harper/2011/01/17/ABbi9SP_story_2.html

It really shows how much he loves baseball,  and details how he's been a baseball prodigy since age 3.   It also describes him as a "devout Mormon" who has never had a drink, and his dad discusses the lifelong National vs. Yankee issue (saying "I want him to be a National for the rest of his life.").  Funny how some related issues have been in the "news" (Twitter) lately.

Loved the article!  Thanks for posting it.  Sounds like his family really raised him well.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #820: June 17, 2012, 11:06:06 AM »
He accomplished the rare olympic rings but this may help him remain grounded.

he did look completely overmatched today,  hopefully he learns from this.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #821: June 17, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »
Two crappy games back to back. For a 19 year old, not worried. He'll be fine. Was just pressing way too hard. Hopefully he can get a hit or two today then get back to normal against the Rays.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #822: June 17, 2012, 01:06:27 PM »
I think Harper has to have the team win a few more games while he slumps- he seems like he feels that he personally needs to win every game and you can see him pressing

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #823: June 17, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »
The way things were going, Harper said in the later innings he thought it was best for him to just focus on his play in the outfield in that game and make sure he didn't falter there.

"All I was thinking was, 'Hopefully I can make some plays in the outfield.'" Harper said, making good on that hope with a diving catch to end the 13th inning.

"That was the only thing I was thinking. You know, 0-for-7, five punches. After your third punch you're thinking 'Hopefully I can make some plays in the outfield and not worry about my ABs anymore.' Just get 'em tomorrow."

Concerning

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #824: June 17, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »
Unsurprising the Yankees psych out Harper. Hopefully he is over it the next time these teams meet.