Poll

Who has the higher ceiling? Burgess or Marrero

Burgess
13 (65%)
Marrero
7 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Who is the better prospect/higher ceiling Burgess or Marrero  (Read 3682 times)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Just trying to get some discussion on the Minor League board. My prospect talk idea hasn't worked out as planned.

Offline sportsfan882

Are you serious?

You are just as bad as NoSpin at regurgitating the same stuff over and over but at least he has an excuse for doing it.

Offline d_mc_nabb

Well, you know my stance.

Offline ronnynat

Are you serious? (Image removed from quote.)

You are just as bad as NoSpin at regurgitating the same stuff over and over but at least he has an excuse for doing it.

It's not that bad of a topic, though. If someone else had started it, you probably wouldn't have said anything about it.

Offline d_mc_nabb

It's not that bad of a topic, though. If someone else had started it, you probably wouldn't have said anything about it.

Yeah, but the idea is, in a different thread we argued about this.

Offline sportsfan882

Right, this very subject has been talked about ad nauseum in another thread.

Offline ronnynat

I understand that. Happens all the time. That doesn't mean everyone has seen it/thought about it, though. I just don't see it as a very big deal. I'm kind of interested in seeing who "wins."

Offline sportsfan882

I understand that. Happens all the time. That doesn't mean everyone has seen it/thought about it, though. I just don't see it as a very big deal. I'm kind of interested in seeing who "wins."
I don't understand the need of people to drag on the same stuff over and over. Bring something new up or just post something like this in the Minor League thread if you really feel the need to carry on an argument that was beating a dead horse weeks ago.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
I am curious to see who wins the poll.

Offline ronnynat

I don't understand the need of people to drag on the same stuff over and over. Bring something new up or just post something like this in the Minor League thread if you really feel the need to carry on an argument that was beating a dead horse weeks ago.

It's not a big deal, SF. Leave the thread alone if you have no interest.

Offline d_mc_nabb

I am curious to see who wins the poll.

Well, currently that would be Burgess.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Well, currently that would be Burgess.
I think we are just pulling a wnff.net going with the hot hand.

Offline sportsfan882

I think we are just pulling a wnff.net going with the hot hand.
I think you're right now that I've thought about it. Burgess is nice but he's pretty small (5'11") and strikes out a lot. I think Marrero can be the better overall hitter.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I don't know.  Burgess might K a lot, but I think he might have a better batting eye.  He seems to draw walks more efficiently than Marrero.  But he does need better command of the strike zone because he lets his BA drop so low that it brings him down.  Striking out so much isn't helping.  If he could turn some of those K's into line drives or even grounders, it'd make quite the difference.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
I don't know.  Burgess might K a lot, but I think he might have a better batting eye.  He seems to draw walks more efficiently than Marrero.  But he does need better command of the strike zone because he lets his BA drop so low that it brings him down.  Striking out so much isn't helping.  If he could turn some of those K's into line drives or even grounders, it'd make quite the difference.
But my point of view on it is: They both are power hitters and average at best at everything else. And so far identical HR #'s. Marrero is the bigger guy so he will naturally hit more HR's.

Offline d_mc_nabb

But my point of view on it is: They both are power hitters and average at best at everything else. And so far identical HR #'s. Marrero is the bigger guy so he will naturally hit more HR's.

In my opinion, Burgess, due to his better eye, has the potntial to lower those Ks, and up the BBs.

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
I like Burgess more right now, but that's directly correlated to Marrero being hurt for the second half of the year after a very slow start. It's probably not that important, but from reading scouting reports of the two, the consensus seems to be that Marrero has power, but Burgess has Power. It'll be real interesting to watch them next year as they will in all likelihood be playing right next to each other in Potomac starting out.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
But my point of view on it is: They both are power hitters and average at best at everything else.
Your point of view is incorrect, then.  Burgess has an above average ability to draw walks.

Back to the prospect books, junior.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Your point of view is incorrect, then.  Burgess has an above average ability to draw walks.

Back to the prospect books, junior.
Cover me in butter and masturd and bench me. No point of view is incorrect

Offline ronnynat

Bat speed and swing style are more important than how big a player is when it comes to being a power hitter (see Utley, Braun, etc.). Burgess, from what I've seen, has much quicker bat speed than most.

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
Bat speed and swing style are more important than how big a player is when it comes to being a power hitter (see Utley, Braun, etc.). Burgess, from what I've seen, has much quicker bat speed than most.

Yeah, winning a professional home run derby at 19 years old is no joke.

Offline hammondsnats

It's a good problem to have, that's for sure. 

Burgess projects for more power, Marrero will probably be a better contact hitter.  If these two live up to their billing, they'll be solid hitters for us for years to come.

Offline d_mc_nabb

Man, a 3-4 of Marrero and Burgess scares me...add in a bat we hopefully take with pick ten, and... Wow.

Mama B

Attitude is what hits home for me(no pun intended).  Burgess is a more fluid fielder, and seems very disciplined.  Also seems to be learning quicker.  Saw real progress in his plate discipline in the short time he was at Potomac - still has a way to go though.  Will be interesting to see what shape Marrero is in when spring training starts.  Next year will be a better time to judge both of them.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
Burgess is the more exciting pick.  Marrero seems he will bat for average plus some power.  Not sure how is glove is, though.  Burgess is more intriguing on many levels - he shows more skill and ability.... plus he wasn't injured for half of 2008. 

I do believe Marrero will be really, really good next year.  He may overtake Bill Rhinehart once again as the 1st baseman of the future... but he's still young.