Author Topic: PJ Dean  (Read 911 times)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
PJ Dean
« Topic Start: August 24, 2008, 01:56:40 AM »
Interesting I haven't heard anyone on these boards talk about him.

6'3 175 LB
Drafted in round 7 of the 2007 MLB Draft. The Texas product had an ok debut. 4.06 ERA, 31 IP, 11 BB, 26 K. But this year he has really exploded. 9 G, 9 GS, 0.88 ERA, 41 IP, 0 HR, 14 BB, 31 K.

He would have been picked in the earlier rounds of the 07 draft had it not been for his strong commitment to Oklahoma. We managed to buy him out of it with a 120,000 dollar bonus.

He is 19 years old. 89-91 Fastball, sharp curve and a promising change-up. Has a clean arm motion like Ballester. I see mid-rotation written all-over him.

Offline RD

Re: PJ Dean
« Reply #1: August 24, 2008, 02:06:52 AM »
You realize thats a picture of Adrian Alaniz right?

Anyway, I like what we've seen from him in the minors so far. He doesn't have as much velocity as Colton Willems but he seems to be a similar type of guy. Not overpowering, lacks a knockout pitch but has the frame for projection as he gets older and just gets the job done.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: August 24, 2008, 09:31:39 AM »
 :rofl: Have you read the Minors sticky thread, where sportsfan, JMUAlumni, and I have discussed him a bunch?  (edited to reduce snideness)

I saw him pitch and he looked pretty good but a bit wild, got a few K's with high heat that wouldn't fly at higher levels. It's amazing that a 7th rounder out of HS could destroy short season competition in his second year. He was a bit effectively wild when I saw him earlier this season, but he seems to have under control now,

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #3: August 24, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »
:rofl: Have you read the Minors sticky thread, where sportsfan, JMUAlumni, and I have discussed him a bunch?  (edited to reduce snideness)

I saw him pitch and he looked pretty good but a bit wild, got a few K's with high heat that wouldn't fly at higher levels. It's amazing that a 7th rounder out of HS could destroy short season competition in his second year. He was a bit effectively wild when I saw him earlier this season, but he seems to have under control now,
I see reliever all over him.