Author Topic: Blog's top 5 prospects  (Read 5205 times)

Offline d_mc_nabb

Re: Blog's top 5 prospects
« Reply #25: August 22, 2008, 12:58:40 PM »
This guy just has a grudge or something.  Even if you don't think there is sufficient talent in the system, you could find 10 guys that are considered MLB prospects, maybe even just by looking at Potomac's roster throughout the year.  Even if you think that Crow would have been the number one prospect in our system (which is not a lock for a top 10 pick, see DETWILER, ROSS), you could still include some guys from this year's draft that have some potential; (Hood, Espinosa, Nieto, Ramirez).  While our major league team sucks, saying that there is not even 10 prospects in our system worth noting is ignorant and demonstrates how little this guy knows about the minor leagues as a whole.

QFT

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #26: August 22, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
I bought the 2008 Baseball America prospect hand-book today. How the hell can he say we don't have sufficent talent? I read the scouting reports and was amazed with what Jimbo and Rizzo and veyrone had done.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #27: August 22, 2008, 09:01:47 PM »
I bought the 2008 Baseball America prospect hand-book today. How the hell can he say we don't have sufficent talent? I read the scouting reports and was amazed with what Jimbo and Rizzo and veyrone had done.

BA has a large staff and spends the money to do the job right. That idiot, on the other hand, probably thought it would be easy to just take a shot at the last place team. Its not like we have fans to alienate.

AndrewS102

« Reply #28: August 23, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »
Did everyone miss this part?

"There are a few other hitters that are just beginning their pro ball careers in the Nationals’ system that could prove to be solid players. However, without any substantial amount of stats to go by, I won’t include any of them on this list. Otherwise, there really aren’t any other above average hitters in the system right now."

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #29: August 23, 2008, 01:13:31 AM »
BA has a large staff and spends the money to do the job right. That idiot, on the other hand, probably thought it would be easy to just take a shot at the last place team. Its not like we have fans to alienate.
Good point. It is a great book. From what I've read Smoker and McGeary have got ace stuff and Zimmermann has solid #2 or good #3 stuff [this being on a contending team]

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #30: August 23, 2008, 02:34:42 AM »

"There are a few other hitters that are just beginning their pro ball careers in the Nationals’ system that could prove to be solid players. However, without any substantial amount of stats to go by, I won’t include any of them on this list. Otherwise, there really aren’t any other above average hitters in the system right now."

No, just like I didn't miss him ranking Tim Beckham as #1 hitter in the TB system:

1. Tim Beckham, ss, 18 – Can’t bet against a #1 pick with Beckham’s skills. I have no idea how good he’ll actually be, but I trust the Rays enough to believe they knew what they were doing when they selected him.

To say that we do not have 10 players worth mentioning followed by saying that we have some young prospects that aren't proven and can't be included in the list is odd when you say that the number one prospect in another system is a guy that has not proven himself as well (ie projecting him based on his draft position).  If you were going to do this with one player, regardless if he was the top pick, he could have held back the attacks on our team by simply mentioning guys that got drafted high by our team this year (Hood or Espinosa at the least) rather than just taking the cop out and saying there wasn't enough talent and "without any substantial amount of stats to go by, I won't include them on my list"

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #31: August 23, 2008, 02:38:31 AM »
No, just like I didn't miss him ranking Tim Beckham as #1 hitter in the TB system:

Lol. Now that I have the prospect handbook I see how wrong he is.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #32: August 23, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »

The problem is that some people around these parts are offended by the smallest perceived slight regarding the Nationals. It's almost as if they believe these opinions matter when it comes to a player's development or the standings.

AndrewS102

« Reply #33: August 24, 2008, 03:28:09 AM »
The problem is that some people around these parts are offended by the smallest perceived slight regarding the Nationals. It's almost as if they believe these opinions matter when it comes to a player's development or the standings.

Exactly.  I agree with that.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #34: August 24, 2008, 11:28:20 AM »

So by that virtue, Tim Beckham shouldn't be on TB's list either.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #35: August 24, 2008, 02:48:24 PM »
So by that virtue, Tim Beckham shouldn't be on TB's list either.
This guy does not now anything about baseball, plan and simple. And most of the stuff on these boards are incorrect. I suggest everyone to buy the Prospect Handbook. They have such great scouting reports.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #36: August 24, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »
This guy does not now anything about baseball, plan and simple. And most of the stuff on these boards are incorrect. I suggest everyone to buy the Prospect Handbook. They have such great scouting reports.

I was thinking about getting the 2009 handbook.  How in-depth are the scouting reports for each player?  What kinds of useful information do they give you that you cannot access other places on the internet?

DemLerners

« Reply #37: August 24, 2008, 07:03:38 PM »
I was thinking about getting the 2009 handbook.  How in-depth are the scouting reports for each player?  What kinds of useful information do they give you that you cannot access other places on the internet?

They provide a full report on 30 prospect's main 5 tools for each team. They also many times state what they think the prospect will end up being, or has the ceiling of. They provide grades for each draft, plus group players into different categories for that team's draft (Best Speed, Best Pure Hitter, Closest to the Majors). They provide a summary of where the farm system is, plus the team in 3-4 years.

Really they do their homework

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #38: August 24, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »
They provide a full report on 30 prospect's main 5 tools for each team. They also many times state what they think the prospect will end up being, or has the ceiling of. They provide grades for each draft, plus group players into different categories for that team's draft (Best Speed, Best Pure Hitter, Closest to the Majors). They provide a summary of where the farm system is, plus the team in 3-4 years.

Really they do their homework

awesome, thanks for the info.