Author Topic: Espinosa & Hicks Signed  (Read 5086 times)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Re: Espinosa & Hicks Signed
« Reply #25: August 11, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »
We should get one eventually, at least before either of the NY teams get one.
Its gonna happen soon too. A new stadium usually means an All-Star Game.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #26: August 11, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »
We should get one eventually, at least before either of the NY teams get one.
I doubt that.

Man good to see these guys finally signed. Any one know why these guys wanted and got way more than slot?

AndrewS102

« Reply #27: August 11, 2008, 10:52:20 PM »
I doubt that.

Man good to see these guys finally signed. Any one know why these guys wanted and got way more than slot?
They want more than slot because the player and agent feel they are worth it.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #28: August 11, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »
They want more than slot because the player and agent feel they are worth it.
Then why weren't they drafted higher? They sound like very solid players but I'm sure the guys drafted around them are decent too despite getting much less money.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #29: August 11, 2008, 11:04:37 PM »
I doubt that.

I can't se how they could possibly justify giving the Yankees another ASG before we got 1.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #30: August 11, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
I can't se how they could possibly justify giving the Yankees another ASG before we got 1.
But they're the Yankees and we're the lowly Nats.  :icon_frown:

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #31: August 11, 2008, 11:34:10 PM »
Aaron Crow will sign. We should have done it the first day. Its simple economics, the team needs the player way more than the player needs the team. Crow can still make millions if he doesn't sign with us, our farm system won't be as good which means our team won't be as good in the future and for a losing team that hurts. We are just showing to future draft prospects, that if you hold-out in the end you will get what you want, which someone stated above.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #32: August 12, 2008, 12:15:44 AM »
It will be interesting to watch if Bowden is removed and someone else is brought in (I don't remember who was rumored to be in line for that spot) if our negotiation strategies shift at all.  It could be a whole different deal next year. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: August 12, 2008, 08:50:41 AM »
Crow can still make millions if he doesn't sign with us,

If Crow plays another year of college, he is up against what is reported to be a deeper talent pool of pitchers next year, including Strasburgh.  That means he is highly likely to be drafted lower than this year, which means less $.  He's playing a risky game here.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: August 12, 2008, 09:37:42 AM »

I think the surrounding area might need to develop a little before we're considered, South Capitol street isn't exactly Wrigleyville

Offline blue911

« Reply #35: August 12, 2008, 10:46:43 AM »
I wasn't worried as much as annoyed by the repeated posturing in the press by too many members of the Nationals front office.

What's ironic is that Bowden had been saying all along that the Nats may not sign all their picks and nothing happened. But as soon as Kasten said the same thing, Nieto, Hicks and Espinosa all signed within a week. It could be timing or it could be that agents don't think Bowden is the final arbiter.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #36: August 12, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »
What's ironic is that Bowden had been saying all along that the Nats may not sign all their picks and nothing happened. But as soon as Kasten said the same thing, Nieto, Hicks and Espinosa all signed within a week. It could be timing or it could be that agents don't think Bowden is the final arbiter.

Isn't that why we brough in Kasten. I really think that between Kasten and Rizzo, Bowden may be superflous

Offline blue911

« Reply #37: August 12, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
Isn't that why we brough in Kasten. I really think that between Kasten and Rizzo, Bowden may be superflous

If that's the case then they've totally sandbagged the GM position.Angelos did this in Baltimore and screwed that organization. I get the feeling that JimBo is one his way out and agents know it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #38: August 12, 2008, 11:20:06 AM »
We just cut Jimbo's big off season free agency acquisition, LoDuca, Rauch for EB seems like Rizzo and Kasten seemed to trigger the signing. I hope he is on his way out

Offline cletusvandamme

« Reply #39: August 12, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »
I think Kasten's involvement on the player/personnel side is at most very minimal.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #40: August 12, 2008, 12:18:54 PM »
I think the surrounding area might need to develop a little before we're considered, South Capitol street isn't exactly Wrigleyville

Yeah but any chance is still years away so there's enough time for developing the area.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #41: August 12, 2008, 01:04:47 PM »
We just cut Jimbo's big off season free agency acquisition, LoDuca, Rauch for EB seems like Rizzo and Kasten seemed to trigger the signing. I hope he is on his way out
The trades for Alberto Gonzalez and Emilio Bonifacio were for sure the work of Rizzo as I have said many times, the two played under him in Arizona.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #42: August 12, 2008, 01:05:20 PM »
I think Kasten's involvement on the player/personnel side is at most very minimal.
Agreed. I think it is all Rizzo.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #43: August 12, 2008, 01:21:15 PM »
Of course if Bonifacio ends up flopping it will be Bowden's fault.  :?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: August 12, 2008, 01:25:33 PM »
Of course if Bonifacio ends up flopping it will be Bowden's fault.  :?

Here's a question how would you define flopping?

I could see him 'flopping' as a leadoff guy, but still being very valuable for his glove and being an ok end of the line up hitter- I would personally consider that a success.

Offline blue911

« Reply #45: August 12, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »
Here's a question how would you define flopping?

I could see him 'flopping' as a leadoff guy, but still being very valuable for his glove and being an ok end of the line up hitter- I would personally consider that a success.

So would I. Bonifacio's strengths are speed and defense. At best he'll hit like Willie Wison but he'll probably end up more like a Julio Cruz type player.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #46: August 12, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »
Flopping is a verb that describes playing or resembling FLopez.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #47: August 12, 2008, 04:34:12 PM »
Man Hicks sounds like a beast. He's pretty similar to Detwiler although he's 4 years younger. I think he'll be better than Ross.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #48: August 12, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »
Man Hicks sounds like a beast. He's pretty similar to Detwiler although he's 4 years younger. I think he'll be better than Ross.

Wouldn't say that yet because A: Detwiler hasn't flopped yet and B: Hicks has as much chance as Dets to struggle in the system, and being an HSer, is a less safe pick.