Author Topic: 2008 First Round Draft Picks - Current Status  (Read 7650 times)

AndrewS102

Re: 2008 First Round Draft Picks - Current Status
« Reply #25: August 11, 2008, 11:03:24 AM »
I don't know much about mechanics but he's been highly successful in college in a competitive conference. Plus people said Lincecum's mechanics made him a ticking time bomb and I'm sure there not happy to have passed on him!
I agree, but they didn't pass on him in 2006.  Nats first pick was #15, Lincecum went top 10.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #26: August 11, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »
I just graduated from GW Law

This is a good place to practice arguing.  It's pretty hard to say anything around this place that somebody doesn't disagree with.    :?    :lol:

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
« Reply #27: August 11, 2008, 12:28:37 PM »

Ewww....

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #28: August 11, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »
It may be disgusting, but its effective and nothigns wrong as of now for Lincecum or Lilly

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
« Reply #30: August 11, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »
It may be disgusting, but its effective and nothigns wrong as of now for Lincecum or Lilly

What do Lincecum or Lilly have to do with Crow? Their mechanics look nothing alike.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #31: August 11, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »
Well just saying not really there mechanics are alike but i know of some people that didnt think his arm would last and it has.

I was just stating that it could be the same situation with Crow

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
« Reply #32: August 11, 2008, 01:10:09 PM »
Well just saying not really there mechanics are alike but i know of some people that didnt think his arm would last and it has.

I was just stating that it could be the same situation with Crow

Yeah it's always possible that he'll be fine but I highly doubt there's a single, long-tenured starter in the majors with that type of scap loading in their mechanics that hasn't spent years on the DL recovering from surgeries.

AndrewS102

« Reply #33: August 11, 2008, 01:12:29 PM »
Believe me, they have gotten better.  The coaches at Missouri aren't stupid and would have fixed it if they were concerned.  and the Nats might too if it bothers them.  Didn't work so well for Detwiler though.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #34: August 11, 2008, 05:12:58 PM »
The scapular loading and catching up in Crow's arm motion are red flags, but not necessarily problems.  I am not convinced that injuries are in his future, but if they were to appear I would have a good idea why.  I have read into both sides of the argument quite extensively and tend to think that neither side has an argument that blows the other out of the water. 

Lincecum has unorthodox mechanics and by no means would they work for the majority of pitchers in the majors, because they are tailored to his body type and what his ligaments can withstand.  Most people who have written on the subject of Lincecum's mechanics will frequently point to his athleticism as the lynchpin to his success and injury free history (thus far).  The good news is that Crow, too, has been cited for his athleticism and it is possible that this could be the major factor in preventing possible injury to his body. 

But to say Crow is not at risk is not valid.  The timing in his windup causes his arm to catch up before the point of release, putting an unneeded amount of stress on his rotator cuff and possibly his elbow.  A good example of guy in our system with the same arm motion is Atilano, who saw his season come to an end in 2006 because of elbow issues.  The motion Crow has now works for him, so I wouldn't suggest changing it, especially the risk that comes with messing with a first round picks mechanics (see Detwiler).  While there are these red flags, Crow has some excellent "stuff" and I don't think you let him walk because of possible injuries 3 or 4 years down the road.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #35: August 11, 2008, 05:15:55 PM »
Believe me, they have gotten better.  The coaches at Missouri aren't stupid and would have fixed it if they were concerned.  and the Nats might too if it bothers them.  Didn't work so well for Detwiler though.

I agree that the coaches at Missouri are not stupid, but if anything that is why they would NOT have changed Crow's mechanics.  It takes 2-3 years to settle into new mechanics for most guys and as a college coach, why would you tinker with your ace's mechanics to the detriment of your team's win-loss record?

Offline daveb32

« Reply #36: August 12, 2008, 03:08:12 PM »
I agree that the coaches at Missouri are not stupid, but if anything that is why they would NOT have changed Crow's mechanics.  It takes 2-3 years to settle into new mechanics for most guys and as a college coach, why would you tinker with your ace's mechanics to the detriment of your team's win-loss record?

And if they tinker with his mechanics in his last season before he enters the draft pool, his newly-found mechanics could cause his value to drop significantly. His coaches jobs were to make sure he could get drafted as high as he possibly could not make sure his career was injury free, they leave that up to the team who drafted him.

Online blue911

« Reply #37: August 12, 2008, 03:58:13 PM »
The Reds "tinkered" with Ryan Wagner's mechanics and all that happened is that he lost effectiveness. He still got hurt but now he's hurt and he blows. Sometimes it's better to deal with the devil known.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #38: August 12, 2008, 04:04:04 PM »
And if they tinker with his mechanics in his last season before he enters the draft pool, his newly-found mechanics could cause his value to drop significantly. His coaches jobs were to make sure he could get drafted as high as he possibly could not make sure his career was injury free, they leave that up to the team who drafted him.
That plus winning NCAA games.

Offline daveb32

« Reply #39: August 12, 2008, 05:03:09 PM »
The Reds "tinkered" with Ryan Wagner's mechanics and all that happened is that he lost effectiveness. He still got hurt but now he's hurt and he blows. Sometimes it's better to deal with the devil known.

Exactly. When it comes down to it, you have to ask yourself which would you rather have, a couple of years with an ace, or a career long reliever. That is assuming he actually does go down with an injury that he can't recover from with the mechanics he's had for most of his career.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: August 13, 2008, 01:12:40 PM »
From mlb.com

9. RHP Aaron Crow, Washington Nationals
The Nationals would have loved to have had Crow in the fold shortly after the Draft and gotten straight to work with him. But he and his reps, the Hendricks brothers, are playing hardball, looking for considerably more than the $2.15 million the club gave Ross Detwiler, last year's first-rounder. This one is contentious, and it doesn't appear the Nats will budge. Crow was talking in the $8-10 million range before the Draft, and that's just not realistic.

He can take his chances and go back to Missouri for another year, but next year's crop of Draft-eligible pitchers is much deeper. Crow has some leverage, but he might just use it to push himself out of a good deal. Washington signed its third- and fourth-round picks earlier this week, but the club has been adamant about not giving out a Major League contract.